• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Gunfreak25

No kidding! I just got a package from DSG in Canada too who donated me a 6.2 stud girdle kit for the project. I also got an email this morning from Ground Up restorations who wants to donate a brand new 4 core 65 Chevelle radiator to replace the old one I bought off ebay that turned out to be garbage.

Gunfreak wants to cry. Gunfreak humbled. :beer:

Section8

Totally wicked awesome!!! Gotta love it when swag heads your way!!!
That's a great save checking your intakes and valves. A little maitenance before cranking that bad boy over for some run in time saved you from probable headaches in the future.
When the little voice in the back of your head nags at you it is usually good to listen. Maybe that's what I have done wrong for most of my life!!! LMAO!!
Man I am chomping at the bit for every post!!
So close SO CLOSE!!! Sigh.
Is the next post here yet?

Gunfreak25

Thank you buddy! Less than $850 away. Never thought I'd get this close. With it finished I will be able to put ALL of my time to my gun work and all of my income towards my goal of joining you canooks up there. Fortunately I'm "settin fancy free" in my current enviroment so I am really lucky in that regard. Don't want to get too comfortable though, trying to make the most out of my 1 shot chance at making something of myself. Finally got a fantastic little lady in my life and things couldn't be going any better these day's.

You know it's funny most of us here have been in contact with one another over the past 1 or 2 years. You all feel like family to me. :beer:

Stan Leschert

It looks like some people are saying that they appreciate what you are doing.

The donations for our M135 have been incredible, and now we have added a few more vehicles that we use for the veterans. ... M36A3, M105, M37, WC52 ...

Enjoy, you've done a great job!

Gunfreak25

I am burned out again. I don't foresee being on the forum for awhile. Radiator came today and it looks beautiful, gotta love brand new. Removed cylinder heads on Saturday when it was 114 outside, took me all day and I wanted to die come evening time. Everything looked just fine so now I need to finish cleaning things up so I can get the heads back on. Maybe it is just the heat that has got me overwhelmed tonight, I just don't feel like looking or thinking about the truck for awhile. Going to be 116 tomorrow. Until next time. Want to thank all the members for their help again.

Attachments

Last edited:

Section8

Your cylinder heads look great! New stuff is always great! Clean engine and full flowing and cooling radiator will make for one smooth running Jimmy!
No doubt about taking some down time from the truck. In tempatures like that I would be wanting to work in the middle of night with huge flood lights when its cooler!
Have a few cold drinks and try not to strain the brain for a few days and then attack with vengance! Bwaaaahaaahahaa!!
Not to long though I need my fix of updates!:whistle:

Gunfreak25

I remember him! Oh man what the heck would I do without you guys? See what I mean? Like family. Holy Moly......

1.Work lights check
2.Water check
3.Shoes....check
4.Awesome people I know, double check.

:beer:

Oldfart

I am burned out again. I don't foresee being on the forum for awhile. Radiator came today and it looks beautiful, gotta love brand new. Removed cylinder heads on Saturday when it was 114 outside, took me all day and I wanted to die come evening time. Everything looked just fine so now I need to finish cleaning things up so I can get the heads back on. Maybe it is just the heat that has got me overwhelmed tonight, I just don't feel like looking or thinking about the truck for awhile. Going to be 116 tomorrow. Until next time. Want to thank all the members for their help again.

I understand the heat. Jollyroger and I took a drive straight through trip to Barstow last week to recover an M816 we bought through GL. Too many parts missing to drive it home, so we spent the pick up day towing it to a storage lot. Then we spent the next 14 hours driving straight home again. Barstow was 107 and out toward the desert and along the car-b-cue highway part of I15 it was ocillating between 111 and 112. It is hard to even think at that kind of heat. Touching anything metal to work on it is near impossible. At 116 I would imagine expotential would be the order of discomfort. Probably a good day to fuse metal parts together.

Section8

I'm rootin for ya brother! 116! Heck I was getting burned putting tin on the roof of the new chicken coop the other day and it was only 33 degrees celcius which is like 90 down there.
You are my hero Gunfreak! Que Rocky anthem song!!!!
I am serious though. Reading your threads over and over makes me keep hoping my own project will stay alive and not end up in the scrap yard after all.
Who says the young(er) can't inspire the old(er)![thumbzup]

nattieleather

That motor looks very good and clean. Keep at it. It will start to cool down in the next few weeks and unlike us up here in the north that can't work from Nov.-Apr (ish) you'll have the cooler winter to keep working on your truck! :grd:

Gunfreak25

Wanted to say THANKS to all the members here for their encouraging words. Brain seemed to have got a little overheated but I am back in black. Or dark green as it were.

Spent last night removing all the pistons. Common sense say's if the heads are already off and I need to open the bottom end up to get the girdle installed anyway, I might as well spend the extra time and money to pop the pistons out and do a deglaze and ring job while it's all apart.

This engine has LOW miles, but it appears to have been idled quite a bit as the cylinders are glazed over pretty good. Bearings and crank look excellent, no cylinder cracks and no major scoring.

The best news is after much anxiety and paranoia about the subject, I was overjoyed to find all the main bearing webs are crack free.

ARP is also donating a head stud kit for the project! At this point I could not be happier I decided on the 6.2. :beer:

Timing chain is nice and tight.

The injectors are genuine delphi's and look brand new. They are the shortie van style which means future turbo installation will not be a problem. Local guy has some GM turbo's for sale I may be looking into later. Gotta get my whistle going. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Thanks Nattie, I'll probably do the turbo once it's up and running and driving around. I'm going to get part of the exhaust made up for now (the stack mainly) but just assume run the truck around on the HMMWV headers which shouldn't be all that loud if I am understanding things correctly, it's not like running a 454 with open headers. That way when I add the turbo I can just finish plumbing things together.

Gunfreak25

Received the ARP head stud kit and I am giddy as heck to get the motor buttoned back up, it stays sealed up until then!

Put a little Ruger LCP on layaway today so updates on the GMC might be a little slow. Nicer weather is on it's way and the way things are looking I will likely be doing all the finishing touches and work in a few months. Everything works out in the end, as Dave say's "one bolt at a time".

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One bolt at a time

I had about twelve bolts lined up when I did the water pump today. It's been a month or so since I parked it.

Think I'm down to "one bolt every two or three days"...........what you're doing sounds good too.

Trying to get down for October so it's a good time to stockpile some funds anyway.......so we can go to Miramar for an airshow. hmmmmm?

Gunfreak25

Thanks for calling man, I am more than down for October, I have to see this submarine you've been talking about. I vote camp out if the forecast looks decent. I draw the line at hail.

:maddawg308: :maddawg308: :maddawg308:

Gunfreak25

A BIG thanks to the local NAPA auto parts here in Yuma for their donation!!! A new battery and 12v alternator!!!

The 12v charging system will be completely separate from the 24v charging system. The best of both worlds and will be more reliable than relying on the voltage reducer which only had a 360 watt continuous duty rating. Even with dual alternators I have room for the air compressor.

So anyone want a voltage converter for their M211? I don't need mine now. :lol:

Attachments

Gunfreak25

With work out of the way I thought I'd relax tonight with a nice lap job.
They were all in need of it too with most showing fine pitting from normal wear and erosion. The course grit removed all pitting and the fine grit gives the seats a nice smooth finish. Tomorrow comes head cleaning, valve seal replacement and finally reassembly.

13 valves to go tonight so the tunes are staying cranked up. Nothing beats Def Leppard and 80's hard rock on a nice Friday night with truck parts and a good supply of high life. :beer: Indeed.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks