• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Gunfreak25

PROGRESS

-Ordered more parts yesterday and today
-1 cylinder head cleaned and ready for reassembly
-Wiring SNAFU fixed under the dash (I mixed up a couple connectors, hehehe)

And I still have enough cash for the rest of my tires and some brake parts.

SO the poop is I think by mid to late October the only things left to finish are a couple wiring jobs (tail lights are all rotted out) and finishing getting my wheel cylinders and brakes lines installed.

Gunfreak25

Nope. My biological father contacted me for the 1st time in my life last night and we are planning to meet. It's been a pretty surreal 24 hours! rofl

onegmjack

I can relate my mom and dad divorced before I was born.My grandfather raised me,a GOD fearing free will baptist.My grandmother turn me against my dad.Please give him a chance.Mite not been his choice not to be in your life.

Gunfreak25

WellhHe left before I was even born and nobody heard from him again for 21 years until last night. He wants to have lunch Monday at noon. I'm keeping my expectations low to avoid any possible disappointment, but it would be nice if we hit things off and eventually formed some kind of relationship. He was an MP in the Army for a few years in the 80's, i'm sure he'll enjoy looking at the GMC.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone certainly did something right in your life. It may not be "storybook" but you are fortunate to be the kind of person you are. I'm impressed with what I see. Hope you both take time to listen to each other. I wish you well.

I'm gonna get back to Alice Cooper and off this computer for a while :-D

Gunfreak25

That means a lot Dan, I appreciate the kind words. He showed up this morning at the door, boy was I nervous. We spent awhile talking over lunch, asking questions and being very civil about everything. Really nice guy and I couldn't have asked for it to go any better. The future looks bright and we are both taking things slow and easy.

A very good friend of mine once told me great things come to those who wait. In my short time on this earth I have yet to find truer words.

Dan, the local guitar shop owner here (pictured below) made Alice Coopers old skull guitar. He said Alice drops in from time to time, really nice guy and some great music.
Crazy guitars | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's Cinderella for me tonight. :beer:

Stan Leschert

Tom, you have really impressed me. the job that you took one, would make a weak man run!

You know that we watch this thread.

I'm really glad that you and Digger Dave hooked up.

When you get the road test, you will see why we love these beasts.
I want video of yours!

Only because it will be a couple of years before I make it to Yuma.
Get your butt up here, and there is a Big Bacardi waiting for you at my bar!

And the spare bedroom so you can crash!

plumkrazy

GFreak--Good to see you had a good first visit. I'm a old retired UPS OTR driver and I've seen a lot of things that leave a bad taste in my mouth. But after reading this thread and other threads you have done, I would like to say "Sir, you have shown me someone who has a great work ethic, pays attention to detail, has class, and has shown that there is hope for this younger generation".

If you are ever in my part of W. Texas, then I owe you some good Bar-B-Q and of course something COOL to go with it. Best Regards--Allen

nattieleather

I was hoping GF would tell us that his dad is really a Bill Gates kind of guy and all the money he needs to finish his truck and move his gun smithing buisness into its own shop was just given to him and he has enough left over to get a few more MVs..... I guy can wish for good things can't he? :)

Glad to hear you had a good first meeting. Now back to work on the truck! :lol:

Gunfreak25

After 2 days work my radiator brackets are done. 1/4 flat bar was probably serious overkill but I wanted them nice and beefy. Today I painted them gloss black and put a fresh coat of paint on the brand new radiator/transmission cooler. Installation comes tomorrow.

Also got my alternator from Laborde Products. I did a write up on these alternators here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/94918-found-24-volt-mitsubishi-alternators.html#post1215867

Bought a set of piston rings off ebay for $160. Normally sell for $300 so I got a great deal, they are moly coated too!

Back to work, just thought I would post a quick update.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Installed! All rubber mounted for vibration dampening. Next is a custom rubber mounted brace to tie the front clip/grill assembly to the front most crossmember. The original brace for this purpose was part of the 302 radiator frame and is obviously, missing in action.

Head gaskets are 6.5 victor reinz's which have an extra thick fire ring for better combustion sealing. Stock thickness to maintain 22:1 compression for the most power and mileage. The ARP head stud installation will be covered with photo's.

Yes I am aware the filler neck is on the wrong side. But you don't look a gift horse in the mouth (bad breath). I am improvising with a flex radiator hose. :beer:

Attachments

Section8

Ok try this again since I seem to be getting kicked out when I try to post.
Everything looks great man!!
Happy to hear that you are getting to know your father!
As for the grill/rad mounts this is what I was thinking.
My hardware is rusted to failure point. Soooo.......
I was plannimng on using the valve springs from an old motor sanwiched between washers which inturn sandwiches the bracket for the rad/grill mount, held in place with grade 8 bolts to lock it in place. In essence allowing everything to "free float".
Just my idea. Would be easy for you to fab up to work for your set up. Don't worry about over kill! If you think its over kill then it won't break!!!
Keep it up!

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Valve springs, fantastic idea! I was going to use rubber hockey pucks with the centers drilled out but I like the spring idea better. :beer:

klmartin62

PM me and tell me where to send them. I have hundreds, how many do you need? They will just end up in the scrap pile, anyway. I would rather see someone get some use out of them.

Gunfreak25

I could use 4 of them! Will post a couple pictures when the spring mount is finished. Many thanks my friend! :beer:

Sending PM....

Section8

O boy O boy!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!! I sure hope it works out as well as I imagine.
Looking forward to the pics and the final assesment during your maiden voyage!
If you are happy with the set up in the end call it the Gunfreak Grill Glide System!

onegmjack

You are doing a fine job.Will be nice truck when you finish.If you ever give up gun work,you alway can make a living as a mechanic or restorer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks