• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

nattieleather

While you have it appart take the adjuster block apart and put a little antiseiz on it. It will make brake adjustments later in life easier. The brakes on the M211s are great!

Gunfreak25

Only enough time to bolt 1 brake drum back on yesterday. Sure felt great knowing there are brand new wheel cylinders in there, cleaned and repacked bearings, replaced hub seals and hub seal shaft sleeve, adjusted bearings and adjusted brake shoes as per the book. 1 down and 5 to go. Man it feels good to know things are done right. Rubber plugs are used to keep wheel cylinders dirt free and air tight until brake lines can be added later. One piece at a time. All brass brake fittings have been cleaned out with hot water and small bore brushes to remove old brake gunk. Cleanliness and perfection is key here. Copper crush washers are on order. Cooling fan is ready to make air. I had to cut down some bronze bushings to make spacers for the fan hub. Caliper was used for precise length on all 4. Filling fuel tank next.

In other news Yuma received 1.5" of rain last night. That is almost a full years worth. Muddy muddy muddy. In preparation for serious physical labor in moose land I have also dropped down to 179lbs. I was up to 190 for awhile. 9 more to go and I buy new underwear. That's hard core weight loss when your underwear no longer fits you man. Hard core.

2AM. Bed time. Night all. Until next time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Section8

Sounds awesome! Once you get all six drums done you are gonna be able to lock em up with ease!
Looking forward to reading your how to on wheel cylinder replacement/ rebuild!
I hear ya on the rain thing. Finally had two weeks of no rain to make hay for the farm.
Spent the whole time fixing the tractor, mower, bailer, rake...
Hope to get back to my rig soon.
Keep it up man!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In preparation for serious physical labor in moose land I have also dropped down to 179lbs. I was up to 190 for awhile. 9 more to go and I buy new underwear. That's hard core weight loss when your underwear no longer fits you man. Hard core.
Don't throw them away or use them for grease rags. They will fit you again within 10 years. Put them in a box, high up on a shelf so the dog can't get at them.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I was looking at all my past posts here tonight. It does not feel like 2+ years, man it is just insane how fast time has gone and how far I have come mechanically and mentally with this thing.

Total cost so far is $4800.

I need

Engine oil Cooler, hoses, fittings, $200
2 batteries $180 for decent ones
4 more tires $295
Radiator repair $200-250
Brake lines $150 for steel and all flex lines
Exhaust $270 if I do all my own work (not a very big if there)

That's all I can think of. So close guys. So close.

Gunfreak25

That is so awesome, you guys have to re-plant all that or??? Am I understand it the M211 might be put to work for World Landscapes in the future??? Post more pics man come on it's my B-day today.....50 minutes to go actually.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not missing Canada

Happy Birthday Tom,

For your birthday, here's what you were missing, so you're not missing it anymore.

I will pour a drink.

The winds blew smoke at us for a while so I got a shot of a pink sun setting on the 1010.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floodin trees

We don't let 5 inches of rain stop us. We pumped for two days, then it rained. We pumped again and finally found a dry day to work. Working in 6" of Alberta snot mud makes your legs strong and the equipment loves this stuff. Can't keep them out of it!

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Awwwww Digger Dave that was tho thweet of you. :oops:

Seriously man I have NEVER seen so much green!!! I recognize that white pickup, how is the she doing these day's? Do you still rub the dash board and talk to her every once in awhile? Remember "Christine"? I miss that truck truck and it wasn't even mine.

What is all the yellow I see blooming?

Searching frantically around the house for a bottle. No luck so far. No beer. No Whiskey. No wine. Oh wait, found grandpa's old charter. I forsee many beer runs tomorrow and lamp shades obscuring my field of view.

Take care buddy, see you hopefully soon I miss ya old dude! :beer:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy Birthday

One more shot of the canola at the farm. Four feet tall and beautiful.

We'll keep the fire burning until you get here.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztoSUhbNntQ&feature=related[/media]

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Thanks a lot buddy it means a lot!! Here are the pics for the evening!! :beer:

For those who are not in the know here, Dave M1010Plowboy is about the best friend a guy can have. I mean, thanks to this guy I will not only have a nice running/looking GMC but hopefully a future career in landscaping up there where the green skies come alive. I am proud to call him my best good buddy and I thank god every night for sending me awesome people in my life. You never know what will come from just an old truck. Just amazing.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Uncle gave me a gift card to Pep Boys a few days ago, went and took care of all my electrical on my shopping list. After 3 days work I should now have working lights, instruments, buzzer, converter box wired in for 12v items, and a working starter lever I rigged up with a push button starter switch. Also picked up misc switches for some accessories later. Man it feels good to have this part done. Lots of zip ties and lots of soldering, I love it! Also finished painting dash and now I have to finish restoring the data plates for re-installation.

Also got my new toy from Phoenix Brake Systems last week. MaxPro reverse brake bleeder should make completing all 14 bleeds on this beast a real easy 1 man job. Complete with flash light and mount, bottle magnet, inline filter, extra adapters, bleeder screw removal tool, elbows, hoses, fittings, cleaned the gun and lubed with silicone grease in preparation for silicone brake fluid only. Will be doing a FULL write up of this awesome tool when It comes time. It sleeps right beside me every night. :beer:

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Going to air brush black model paint onto them (just thin enough to fix the faded ink) and then go over the raised lettering with a Zacto knife under my bench lighted magnifying glass. If I take my time they should come out almost brand new. Don't expect them to be perfect! :D

Gunfreak25

I thought on a whim I would pull the intake on the 6.2 tonight to see what the valves looked like. Little surface rust on them but nothing too bad.

Peeked inside intake port above cylinder #3 and found a screw, a washer and a metal tab sitting ontop of the valve.

Literally weeks away from starting my engine. I am celebrating tonight. :beer:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks