• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 AM General M35A2 *Updated 9/28/08*

Flea

taylordc15 said:
Flea,

First off congrats on a nice looking truck. I have been lurking on here for about six months and have become infected with the OD fever. I am stationed in Okinawa but am due to come back to the states shortly, I bought a M35A2W/W from halftrack and am trying to decide where to title it. My parents live outside chattanooga so TN is one of my options. I have read a lot of post on here in regards to the pro and cons of going with historical plates but would love to hear from Tn owners what your experience has been and if there are any Tn specific issues I should be aware of.
thanks
Dave
I've got mine registered with weighted plates. There aren't any restrictions put on where to keep the vehicle/how to keep it or how much I can use it. They're not very expensive; 16K plates only ran me about $60 with wheel tax.

As far as complications getting the tags, I just walked in, then walked out. The only questions I got had to do with what the manufacturer was (Is AMGeneral the same as AMG?).

Good luck!

SpruceDeuce

RE: SS in kingsport

lifer,

they are certaintly trying to teach me that and my parents really dont consider my $3000 green iron and investment, but i certaintly love driving it and i am excited to paint it this spring!!! :D

Flea

Small update:

Repaired a pinhole in the vent tube of the radiator, bought oil filters to do an oil change soon, bondo'd the passenger fender (rust holes); I don't have anything to do sheet metal patchwork. They were small holes anyways.

I also ordered the Napa muffler for this weekend.

Flea

Napa muffler today. 8)

Took about 30 minutes, and only because of rust on the old bolts and a cheap hacksaw.

SOOO much quieter. :shock:

Also bondo'd some of the fender holes after cleaning out the rust (last week).

Attachments

Flea

Small update 2/6/08:

New coat of paint on the taillights, made a simple digital camera mount and took some pictures from it, and took a picture of the painted stack.

Attachments

Flea

Really, I've not done much sanding other than to take the oxidation and dirt off the finish. Then I just primer & paint and it's a really tough finish. Granted, the brush strokes from the underlying coats show through when you get up close to it, but I don't really care about that -- I don't have any pneumatic tools or a sandblaster to take it down to the bare metal, so I've just kind of improvised.

Now where I did some work on the fender, I sanded everything by hand down to the metal.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looking good Flea :beer:

Flea

Small Update... front is about done; nearing completion (at least with paint). Cab had a bunch of stuff in it, otherwise I'd post what I've been doing in it.

Attachments

CanadaDeuce

Craig

Lookin pretty spiffy .......... the red Jerry can needs to spend some time alone with a OD spray can though ! LOL

keep up the good work and thanks for sharing, always fun to see what others do to there trucks.

CanadaDeuce

Flea

Truck still runs incredibly strong. If the motor wouldn't fly apart, I am convinced it would continue to pull well past redline.

The Napa muffler number is 21470... it's 3.5" inlet/outlet, but does not come with clamps, so make sure to get some. I think it ran about $55 or so, and it made a real difference in the cab. I forego hearing protection now, as it's much quieter... you can actually hear on the cell phone in the cab!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks