• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 AM General M35A2 *Updated 9/28/08*

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow that is a great add on, with my hearing loss it is going to be one of my must do mods when I get back. Thanks for the information on the muffler. The truck does look great I always liked the stars on the trucks but back then we had yellow "aim here" name tags too. I am still thinking of doing one of my vehicles in ACU pattern just for the fun of it even if it is just one of my trailers.

Flea

Finally got my 90* bend from my father-in-law (pipefitter). It's schedule 40 stainless, and I got it for a grand total of $7.50

Man, that was a headache! I had to grind out the hole in the fender a bit larger for the bigger pipe, then I had to cut some relief cuts in the end of the pipe so it would tighten on itself. Then, that wasn't working well, so I had to bend the new "tabs" cut with a hammer until they started to give a bit (and bend them back out because I went too far).

Jeeze! :roll: At least it's done! Also, couple shots of how the interior is coming along.

Attachments

AZDeuce

Flea:

What brand, type, color, paint did you use on the muffler? And could you please post a close up picture of the mount/bracket, that secures the muffler itself.

You've inspired me. I ordered a 21470 muffler from NAPA today, they said the nearest one was in L.A. it should get it in 3-4 days (I ordered the clamps too). I'm off on Mondays, hopefully it will get here, and that'll be my project for the day :) I just need to see what to do for the muffler brace, and the paint.

Thanks - Az Deuce

Flea

AZ,

For the bracket, I just bent some old flatstock I had laying around to fit, and kept it from rattling on the outer side with a single sheet metal screw. Then, I used bolts to mount it to the original bracket; it fits pretty tight. (See pictures) I couldn't tell you how long it was; I think it was around 16", but I can't be sure.

As for paint, I used some store-brand 1500* paint in flat black (you may substitute bar-b-q paint) for a base, then top-coated it with the same Wal-Mart brand flat black paint I've been using for all the other black surfaces. Let me tell you, that stuff does NOT come off.

Attachments

Flea

Pulled up the old basket ball goal in our driveway. It was rusted and the backboard was missing.

The thing put up a good fight! When I snugged the chain in low range and 1st, the front wheels started to pull off the ground until the base of concrete finally broke. :shock:

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Deuce 1: Basketball Goal 0:

Great to see you are using the truck for fun and work. If you are interested in fixing rust damage the same way the Army did on a duece you could invest in a small wire feed welder or a gas welder and weld in sheet metal patches. My truck has quite a few that the Army welded in a couple I added myself. Thanks for all the updates I have not been home long enough to add the muffler yet but is on my to do list/

ALFA2

RE: SS in kingsport

I just signed up as a member, and would like to lern more, great many members here are real experts in this lifestyle, and the trucks turn out great.

1954 GMC M215
1954 M101 Trailer
1970 M322
1969 M322

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Deuce 1: Basketball Goal 0:

Great to see you are using the truck for fun and work. If you are interested in fixing rust damage the same way the Army did on a duece you could invest in a small wire feed welder or a gas welder and weld in sheet metal patches. My truck has quite a few that the Army welded in a couple I added myself. Thanks for all the updates I have not been home long enough to add the muffler yet but is on my to do list/

That explains the patches welded on my deuce body around the back bottom.

:)

steve

Flea

David, time can certainly get away from you; I know how that goes. My daughter is almost 1 already, and starting to walk.

ALFA2, welcome to the site!

This may be the last update on the truck for a while; I've bought an older camper I'm fixing up. It will be getting a mil-themed exterior and an essentially new interior.

ALFA2

Thank you for the Welcome to the forum, I am lerning agreat many usefull ideas about the Duce, and doable maintenance items, as well as serious modifications. I was wondering if there are a lot of members in Phoenix, or somewhere close by, that are online, and have a Duce?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks