• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton Ga to WV?

magneticanomaly

I'm trying to put together purchase of a long-bed 5-ton truck near Atlanta, Georgia, that will need hauled to WV, about 540 miles. $3 - $4 a mile will turn it from a good deal to a truck I can't afford.

It sounds like it is not too far from being able to go under its own power, but I can't get there to work on it until Spring and I doubt the deal will last that long.

I'm new to the whole long-distance thing. Ideas?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I assume this is about my M55 we've been talking about.

For what it's worth...

The truck does run and will move under it's own power. There's just air leaks and no brakes. If I had some spare DOT 5 I'd try topping it off to see if I could at least get brakes. The fuel return line needs to be corrected. (Some knucklehead plumbed it into the air tank) And the electrical system needs work. It can be jumpered to start though.

To flat tow it, it would need a towbar with axle clamps as the front bumper is missing. It was hauled to my friends shop on a lowboy. But if someone were to haul it, if they had a step deck with ramps, we should be able to load it that way as well. I wouldn't try flat towing something like this that much of a distance without servicing the wheel bearings at least.

It's at my friends shop, so it could be worked on there. CSI is nearby as well if any parts are needed.

magneticanomaly

Yes, it's your truck we're talking about. Were its ears burning?

I owned a gallon of DOT-5 (silicone) brake fluid once upon a time. Got a good deal from JC Whitney on it. Kept it in inventory for the day when I would do a complete brake rebuild on something, so I would never have to worry about pitted wheel or master cylinders again.

A few years ago I did that brake job on my 1954 IH R-130. Actually managed to find my plastic gallon jug of DOT-5. The mice had nibbled a hole in the bottom. I didn't know mice were into silicone .

I've done a fair amount of flat-towing. Have the home-made tow-bars (one bent) and weld-on bumper lugs to prove it, IME, to do it SAFELY you need a way to transfer a lot of the weight of the front axle of the towed vehicle, to the rear axle of the towing vehicle. A chain, a log, and a big come-along work. But I don't have a (roadable) truck big enough for this job

Hmmm..lowboy. Can you tell me the length from the front of front tire contact patch, to the back of rear-most tire contact patch? That will tell me the minimum length of trailer deck needed. And overhang length front and rear from front and rear wheels?

Thanks!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm trying to put together purchase of a long-bed 5-ton truck near Atlanta, Georgia, that will need hauled to WV, about 540 miles. $3 - $4 a mile will turn it from a good deal to a truck I can't afford.
It sounds like it is not too far from being able to go under its own power, but I can't get there to work on it until Spring and I doubt the deal will last that long.
I'm new to the whole long-distance thing. Ideas?

I transport stuff at times...if you get that truck hauled that distance for under 1800-2K you have done good....and no...I don't want to haul it.

If you can't/don't wanna follow thru...please post here ASAP as I may want to bargain for the truck but I don't wanna cut you out if you can make it happen.:beer:
I'd say Jan 1st is a good target date and enough time that I won't feel like I stepped on any toes.

magneticanomaly

Ron 73m819, you're a pal! Papabear, I won't feel stepped on if you just buy it. I do not want to string anyone along.
I need a oood flat-bed truck to haul hay and manure and lumber and stones and the more-than-occasional rusty piece of iron, and I'm used to buying fixer-uppers. But I don't have the money to buy it even at Patracy's fire-sale price until/unless somebody buys my WC-62. Two guys have said they're coming to look at it, but you all know how that goes. I'd still have to work arounf farm nad famly obligations to get to Georgia long enough to get it roadable, so it is a looong shot at best for me.

The same day I get paid for something big enough, I'm calling Patracy, but until then I do not have any illusion that the I-wants give me any sort of binding option on the truck.

The courtesy as well as the knowledge and generous helpfulness here are inspiring. Have at it!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ron 73m819, you're a pal! Papabear, I won't feel stepped on if you just buy it. I do not want to string anyone along.
I need a oood flat-bed truck to haul hay and manure and lumber and stones and the more-than-occasional rusty piece of iron, and I'm used to buying fixer-uppers. But I don't have the money to buy it even at Patracy's fire-sale price until/unless somebody buys my WC-62. Two guys have said they're coming to look at it, but you all know how that goes. I'd still have to work arounf farm nad famly obligations to get to Georgia long enough to get it roadable, so it is a looong shot at best for me.
The same day I get paid for something big enough, I'm calling Patracy, but until then I do not have any illusion that the I-wants give me any sort of binding option on the truck.
The courtesy as well as the knowledge and generous helpfulness here are inspiring. Have at it!
WC62 ya say??????:shock::shock:

Oh Lord!! Now all kinds of stuff is racing thru my head!! Like:
I don't NEED the M55...or a WC62 BUT....

Maybe I can pick up the M55...get er going and we can do some tradin on the WC62??
(Warning..I was the honor graduate from the Mr. Haney school of Horse Trading) Think about the Green Acres tv show:razz:

I'm gonna PM ya my email and maybe you will send me lots of pics and a good description of what you have for the WC62?:beer:

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looks like the OP knows how to HOOK PB, notice how he just sorta slied in the WC62, made it look as just a passing thought :beer: and a [thumbzup] to the OP

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG

Thank you for making me feel better Sir.
Patracy and I talked and decided to wait for your response.

Tell ya what...pat and I are gonna do the deal...real soon.
That gets the truck outta his friends way...that makes 3 fellers happy...pat, his buddy and me.

You need to PM me some stuff as asked above to see if we can make 4 people happy...you being #4.:beer::beer:
You will find me firm but fair in my dealings...OK that's a lie...ever fight a grizzly bear with a switch?

Balls in your court and the M55 is coming to PapaBear.

Attachments

magneticanomaly

Well, we're all having fun, no?

AM General, if your XM211 has auto trans and/or gasoline engine, it is alas on the list of things I want fewer of, not more. If it has a manual, even with "issues", or a Diesel, how long is the bed? What is the capacity of a XM211? Are the bed sides removable?

PB, I'm headed to the PM box.

Thanks, all!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks