• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian ACME trans toast!

citizensoldier

Well I was attempting to install my hens teeth PTO found in the back country of British Columbia but that is another story. After draining the trans and removing the PTO cover plate I proceeded to take out a half of cup of metal shavings along with synchronizer rods out of the bottom.. :mad::?Sooooo.. a rebuild of this rare bird will be needed before installing the PTO and new motor into the truck. I contacted Vintage Power Wagon and no dice. Just wondering if anyone has any rebuild parts for one or knows where they can be had. I have called Brian Ausbury about them in the past and it was a dead end.
A few years back I was going to purchase a government rebuilt one from Sid Beck.. Well Sid up and passed away on me RIP Sid and I have no idea who ended up with all his parts. Anybody know? Ughhhh.. Some days just suck!..:(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is it? Is it used in anything else?

citizensoldier

What is it? Is it used in anything else?
Good question! All I know is it was made by a company called Acme. There is no data plate on the transmission and the Canadian manual I have does not list a model # just has Part#'s and says group 07 transmission.. go figure. I am hoping a knowledgeable brother from the North chimes is with some good info. If I was able to find the PTO I would think I can find some rebuild parts. Wonder if any of the part numbers come up at NAPA.. lol..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Tanner

Sorry to hear about your Acme issues, but I've always found them willing to back up their fine, high-quality items. Satisfaction guaranteed, or your money not cheerfully refunded...

'Tanner'

Attachments

citizensoldier

I have a couple of the old style and even a NP420 or two.. I will still have to change the input shaft from 1" to 1"3/8.. So they will need to be broken down anyway. I just can't believe there are no parts out there for these! Or some old timer from the bush in Canada can't give me a list of part numbers or have a couple in the back shed! :mrgreen: I am not giving up hope! If I can find the PTO I can find a rebuilt one or parts to do so.. Rooooooof! RoooooF!! Those are the OD hounds of **** sniffing around..

zak

Well good luck! Don't know yet if I can get to Clare maybe see you there. If they made 4500 or so trucks you'd think they would have made at least twice as many spares. A parts truck perhaps?

citizensoldier

Ok I broke the trans down and according to my Canadian manual which has pictures of the NP420?? I will need Gear 2nd speed synchronizer,with hub assy manufacture # CC1391605 and Gear, reverse idler,assy Manufacture# CC1391625
Does anyone know if they are the same in a T98 transmission?

Juskatla

Just wondering how you made out for parts on the Acme trans? I can't find it now, but somewhere on the G741 forum there was good info posted about parts available for the T98. I also have a couple of t/o Acme trans if your still looking. My quest is for an ACME PTO idler gear for Bill Anthony in Churchill Manitoba. Nobody seems to be able or want to cut a replacement gear for him. If you have a spare pto or know where all the CDN parts went, we'd be happy to hear about it.
Much of the spare parts supply went south but because these parts are different, I suspect that those holding them don't know what they are for. I am also thinking about finding a Chelsea pto from an M715 with the T98 trans to see if an adaptation is possible.
Hope you're already up and running anyway.

Jess

citizensoldier

After running down many leads and a couple deals fall through I got lucky! I was doing a ebay search for something else and this showed up. After some haggling and offer counter offers I got it. The person who had it did not know it was a ACME and I just kept my mouth shut. Turns out it's completely rebuilt !!P03-31-14_11-49.jpgP04-06-14_11-36.jpgP04-06-14_11-40.jpgThe first picture is myP04-06-14_11-44.jpg M1028. The only way to get around up here this winter! My Canadian M37 will be on the road this summer for sure! Oh and did I mention I found this one just north of Miami! Was just listed as a M37 take out trans.. I think $280 total with shipping was a great deal.

Last edited:

Juskatla

That's a great price. Out here on the west coast, we are beginning to see more parts trucks or power train swaps. This means some original parts are available. Unfortunately, rust is common and the body stuff isn't good. A few of us are trying to keep them away from the scrap yards but missed a few already. I haven't seen NOS or depot rebuilt stuff for some time, as most of this was back east or sold to US surplus dealers. I think there a re lots of parts but that those holding CDN bits don't realize what they have.

Keep then running! Jess