• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce as daily driver?

littlebob

It probably depends on you and your budget. We had an early nineties Jeep that had A/C and radio and after the wife used it for a daily driver for a year, the novelty wore off. As far as the maintenance costs, it will depend on what kind of shape its in when you start driving it. I've had mine for about two years and am in the middle of replacing all of the seals in the frontend now. Trying to get everything in good shape before I put in on the road, so I can move on to another project. Hopefully by going through the truck before putting it into service I won't have to do much to it if I just drive it on the weekends
littlebob

Re: RE: Deuce as daily driver?

Recovry4x4 said:
I drove my deuce tractor for a few months. Wasn't bad but did take alot of the fun out of it.
wondered when you or Dman was going to post up. Soon as i can get deuce back together and done its gonna be come a daily driver. gonna start driving the MVs. the civilian vehicles are sold off :D

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Deuce as daily driver?

I parked my VW golf in the garage and have been driving my M1009 for the last month. I'll drive the M35 once a week to work but parking and stop and go traffic on the way home gets old even when its only a 5 mile commute, mine is bobbed and has air assist steering and I could not imagine driving it as a DD.

SasquatchSanta

RE: Re: RE: Deuce as daily driver?

I'm going to be making the transition to DD. I'm selling all of my Power Wagon inventory including my W200 which has been my fall-back "crutch" vehicle. I was going to start driving the Deuce (bobbed) last winter but had fuel pump and fuel jelling problems and decided to let it sit until spring. I've got all the bugs worked out of it and feel it is as, if not more dependable than anything with weheels.

I live in a small community of 249 people on the MN Ontario boarder so there isn't much traffic and absolutely no interstates. Air conditioning isn't needed this far north, there are no drive throughs and I only drive about 2,500 miles a year. In the winter I have to burn straight number-1 diesel but in the summer, when I do most of my driving, the WMO factor keeps the cost per mile down around that of driving a hybird automobile.

Smoke "em if you got "em.

rottiedog

DD Rating

My M1009 is a blast to drive daily except for 100+ degrees in NC. Using about 50% veggie helps too. The M880 is dependable and comfortable but eats the gas and no AC.
Deuce is last. If I add power steering and some tunes it might make the trip to work every now and then and running veggie in there helps a lot for saving $$$

bottleworks

Mine was a daily driver for 1/2 a year or so. At that time, it was my only diesel, so it was burning 100% biodiesel. It was cheaper then driving my gas Dodge. Stop and go traffic was not fun and not having power steering got old quickly. Non stock items at that time were: muffler, insulated firewall and hood, Wix XD filters....Had most of the A/C installed but didn't have the hoses made yet.

The modifications that I consider required are: XD filters, pre/post luber, and a muffler. The post luber helps cut down on that 5 minute idle time after you get there.

saddamsnightmare

August 21st, 2008.

I will agree, and disagree with much of what's being said above...... :p Having said that.... I USE MY DEUCE DAILY for work!!! Sure it rides hard, sure it ain't got fresh fish AC (OPEN THE WINDSHIELDS- it works in 104+* Texas heat), No power steering, No lift gate, mileage equal to a 3500 dually, in a wreck with an SUV-you win!!! They take more maintenance then a 1990'+ truck (and it MUST be done), they are fairly easy to fix on most breakdowns, parts are available, and considering how old the trucks are, they generally run daily if you want them to. They WON'T DO 65 (not with a stock transmission, axles and engine set up), and if they did the brakes won't take it... they're not designed to, so don't plan on 70 mile commutes unless you gots lotsa $$$$$ and lotsa time (I go 12 miles a day roundtrip), it took me about 7 hours to go 210 miles with & without the M105 trailer each way from here to Norman,OK & back. A lightening bolt they ain't (UNLESS your Toyota Tacoma gets run over by one.....), but mine runs and starts almost any time in any weather condition I need her to run, and since January she has been doing all the work done by the Unimog S.404.114 normally, as that machines been down with bad gas (no jokes please!), but when the Unimog runs, she's no lightening bolt either, just easier to park andmaneuver, and a lot harder to get into her cab...... The Unimog's a lot more agile (and a lot more expensive
to repair then the deuce... trust me.. Been there, done that. But they both will outwork the usual pickup truck in local service... and go places no normal truck can reach easily....
Find a good CUCV or M38A, if you're not into looks, either one will do the work, and GM's dumping lots of new CUCV Army ambulances on the K3500 frame for cheap, NEW!!!!(even has a CD player and AC!!!).
Just my rant worth 2cents , whatever you get will be an experience....in any case.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

N.B. [thumbzup] The Deuce is a normally aspirated LDS465 White engine, so I don't have the extremely long start up and shut down cycles, UNLESS she's been driven over the road at high speed (above 45MPH) and in high temperatures (above 95*F+), during the 104 *F days, she took the heat better then almost any modern vehicle , including 2 MPH parade work in low range 2nd gear..... EVERYTHING else was going down. The Turbos are neat, they do cut the smoke and add a little power, but it's just another part to break that ain't needed, and which can cripple your truck.....and costs lotsa $$$$ to replace....
Just my 2cents X2......

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce (MAKES EVERY OTHER JEEP LOOK LIKE AN H3 HUMMER......)
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Trailer, Cargo
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Gen Set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB (MAKES ALMOST ANY HUMMER... LOOK LIKE A KIA!) [thumbzup]
2006 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler.. the more expensive, weak sister of the trio....the Wife's Jeep.... rofl

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i used mine for a dd for the month of febuary one year. i hated it. its cold. when i leave my house its up hill both ways. as soon as i would get to the top of the hill on the way to work i would be hittin the brakes and goin to the store where i get my breakfast. then it was another mile and half down the road to my job. as soon as i got it up to speed i would be stoppin again. im only 3 miles or so away from work and there have been days when i planned the night before to drive my truck to work, gotten up and it was 80 degreees out and i looked at the deuce and jumped in the pick up cause i cant deal with a deuce at 6 am. using it to go run errands is not fun either, the constant shifting in traffic and the manuel steering, parking where you can fit, and just having to climb in and out of it really wears you out

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Deuce as daily driver?

saddamsnightmare said:
August 21st, 2008.

I will agree, and disagree with much of what's being said above...... :p Having said that.... I USE MY DEUCE DAILY for work!!! Sure it rides hard, sure it ain't got fresh fish AC (OPEN THE WINDSHIELDS- it works in 104+* Texas heat), No power steering, No lift gate, mileage equal to a 3500 dually, in a wreck with an SUV-you win!!! They take more maintenance then a 1990'+ truck (and it MUST be done), they are fairly easy to fix on most breakdowns, parts are available, and considering how old the trucks are, they generally run daily if you want them to. They WON'T DO 65 (not with a stock transmission, axles and engine set up), and if they did the brakes won't take it... they're not designed to, so don't plan on 70 mile commutes unless you gots lotsa $$$$$ and lotsa time (I go 12 miles a day roundtrip), it took me about 7 hours to go 210 miles with & without the M105 trailer each way from here to Norman,OK & back. A lightening bolt they ain't (UNLESS your Toyota Tacoma gets run over by one.....), but mine runs and starts almost any time in any weather condition I need her to run, and since January she has been doing all the work done by the Unimog S.404.114 normally, as that machines been down with bad gas (no jokes please!), but when the Unimog runs, she's no lightening bolt either, just easier to park andmaneuver, and a lot harder to get into her cab...... The Unimog's a lot more agile (and a lot more expensive
to repair then the deuce... trust me.. Been there, done that. But they both will outwork the usual pickup truck in local service... and go places no normal truck can reach easily....
Find a good CUCV or M38A, if you're not into looks, either one will do the work, and GM's dumping lots of new CUCV Army ambulances on the K3500 frame for cheap, NEW!!!!(even has a CD player and AC!!!).
Just my rant worth 2cents , whatever you get will be an experience....in any case.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

N.B. [thumbzup] The Deuce is a normally aspirated LDS465 White engine, so I don't have the extremely long start up and shut down cycles, UNLESS she's been driven over the road at high speed (above 45MPH) and in high temperatures (above 95*F+), during the 104 *F days, she took the heat better then almost any modern vehicle , including 2 MPH parade work in low range 2nd gear..... EVERYTHING else was going down. The Turbos are neat, they do cut the smoke and add a little power, but it's just another part to break that ain't needed, and which can cripple your truck.....and costs lotsa $$$$ to replace....
Just my 2cents X2......

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce (MAKES EVERY OTHER JEEP LOOK LIKE AN H3 HUMMER......)
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Trailer, Cargo
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Gen Set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB (MAKES ALMOST ANY HUMMER... LOOK LIKE A KIA!) [thumbzup]
2006 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler.. the more expensive, weak sister of the trio....the Wife's Jeep.... rofl

That's what I say, but I've to get my mine from Drexel Indiana yet... Damnable EUC's... But eventually I plan on driving it on Bio-Diesel.

prebanbilly

Not to mention the short lifespan of the multi, which you could improve with a pre-luber and better filters..........

clinto what is the life span a muti fuel?
sorry :-Dnewbe question!

dburt

If none of us had experienced modern vehicles with a/c, tunes, power steering, etc, we would probably find that the deuce was ok for more transportation uses then we usually give it. Think about a driver from, say- 1929. They had no ps, a/c, tunes, etc. Trucking in those days was for he-men. 35mph top speed on the road, no power steering or a/c, very crude heaters in cold weather, very few rest stops or mini-marts to take a leak or buy a snack or fuel. So those guys would probably think a deuce was a cadillac ride. And the cars in those days were not much better for ride, speed, comfort, etc. Face it, as you get older, you like the ease and creature comforts of the modern car or pickup. But if none of us knew any better, a deuce would be just jim-dandy as a DD.

Reactions: HN6

SasquatchSanta

In August I make a post on this thread declaring that I would soon be using my bobbed deuce as a DD.

Those plans changed when I couldn't get insurance, other than highly restrictive collectors insurance on the deuce. I ran the rack on the insurance search, even considered going straight commercial. I couldn't even get anyone to write it on a commercial policy. I should add --- my problems were not caused by a bad driving record nor bad credit.

Gulfway wasn't as restrictive BUT to get Gulfway insurance you have to have a DD insured on a seperate personal auto policy. Since my old W-200 crew-cab was on it's last legs I have since built an M37 that I now use as a DD. The deuce is a back-up vehicle and is insured with Gulfway.

Outside of a CJ2A which is a project vehicle and isn't running, my only vehicles are the M35 and M37. The M37 has 489 gears and considering where I live and the amount of miles I drive works out well as a DD. The Deuce would also work well for me as a sole DD if I could insurance.

The point is --- insurance is an issue.

moparguy4x4

i drove a 77 dodge you would have thought was a m880 for a while for a dd about 25 miles one way had 5.13 gears and 42inch swampers and man steering so quit whining and suck it up these trucks are meant to be driven or they would have been junked just my 2 cents

bgekky3

There are some trucks in MI that have 100k miles and 10k hours. Don't want to break the rules, but I am sure you can search for them. My deuce is currently my daily driver. My wife is driving a borrowed CUCV. We are currently negotiating a price, so I don't think I can post a pic either. I have had a bad experience with the longevity of the multi, but after searching MI I have changed my mind. I have spin ons and get oil pressure in a sec and a half. I lock the wheel and leave it running if I am going to be a bit and shut it down if I am going to be a while.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Would you use a deuce as a daily driver?
(Assume you will be driving in the country, no city driving only occasional driving in congested traffic).
Could you do it in a 6x6 or would you want it bobbed?
What are some ways to get a 6x6 deuce up to interstate speed? (65+)

I have searched through the archives but will ask anyway,
anyone have some good pics of a deuce with supe singles or large duals?

Thanks!
I drive mine daily in the City of Louisville... It's not a perfect daily driver but is fun... People think I'm crazy, I'm not I live 8-10miles from work so it doesn't matter much... And I walk to all of my classes at the University. So basically it is a limited daily driver to just work and few other places... But it is fun and it fits in one parking space.

Last edited:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

In August I make a post on this thread declaring that I would soon be using my bobbed deuce as a DD.

Those plans changed when I couldn't get insurance, other than highly restrictive collectors insurance on the deuce. I ran the rack on the insurance search, even considered going straight commercial. I couldn't even get anyone to write it on a commercial policy. I should add --- my problems were not caused by a bad driving record nor bad credit.

Gulfway wasn't as restrictive BUT to get Gulfway insurance you have to have a DD insured on a seperate personal auto policy. Since my old W-200 crew-cab was on it's last legs I have since built an M37 that I now use as a DD. The deuce is a back-up vehicle and is insured with Gulfway.

Outside of a CJ2A which is a project vehicle and isn't running, my only vehicles are the M35 and M37. The M37 has 489 gears and considering where I live and the amount of miles I drive works out well as a DD. The Deuce would also work well for me as a sole DD if I could insurance.

The point is --- insurance is an issue.
You should try Statefarm...

FrankOceanXray

I am considering my own Deuce. Have two DDs. This would be a fun vehicle. Weekend drives, trip here and there to the hardware store or supermarket. These trucks handle this kind of usage? Shorter trips (under 30miles) once a week? I have owned turbo engines before and understand caring for them.

So good for the weekend warrior? Are they reliable for that kind of usage?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks