• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Injector Pump , starting an unknown Deuce or IP work..Beware of Runaway

DavidWymore

When I got mine running recently, I had a board ready to cover the intake to the turbo. I hadn't read this, I'm lucky I didn't need to. What about just taking a knife to the inlet line to the fuel density compensator or hydraulic head?

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which of the three way valves to use? any pictures?
Could use a 24 volt solenoid valve after the fuel filters wired parallel with intank fuel pump. All you
have to do is what comes naturally, and that is flip the in cab stop switch off. All fuel sources are stopped.

DavidWymore

Could use a 24 volt solenoid valve after the fuel filters wired parallel with intank fuel pump. All you
have to do is what comes naturally, and that is flip the in cab stop switch off. All fuel sources are stopped.
I like it, might as well connect it to the fuel shutoff on the IP while we're at it, eh?

TehTDK

There is such a thing as a three way valve, having two positions. and consisting of three ports: A, B, and C. Port "A" is connected to the fuel tank, Port "B" is connected to the Injector Pump, and Port "C" is to atmosphere. In the ENGINE RUN position. port "A" is open to port "B" and fuel goes to Injector Pump. Port "C" is closed. In ENGINE STOP position, port "A" (tank) remains open but port "B" ( Injector Pump) is closed while port "C" ( atmosphere) opens, so that the inlet to the Injector pump sucks air and hopefully the runaway engine will stop immediately. The uploaded picture and specification sheet shows such a valve as an example , but it remains to be verified that this or any valve is fuel rated.
Wont leaving A open, B closed and C open just went fuel into the air and soaking the engine compartment in Diesel/MF content?. I would think leaving A Closed, but B & C open would make more sense and would make the engine suck air.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran my truck for a year with a bad fuel tank pump. The pump on the injector unit is capable of running your truck. What I'm going to do now is install a shut-off valve after the fuel filters. That way I could just open the engine side cover and reach in and shut off the valve in case of a runaway.
It has been a while since you posted this note. I was wondering, how did the shutoff valve work for you? It seemed like a great idea and I was thinking of doing the same.

rustystud

It has been a while since you posted this note. I was wondering, how did the shutoff valve work for you? It seemed like a great idea and I was thinking of doing the same.
It works great. I have some pictures somewhere I just cannot find them now. I will take some pictures tomorrow for you. I did post them here though if you want to look.
Found the pictures. Their in the next post.

Last edited:

rustystud

015.jpg014.jpg

I found two pictures I took. Yes I still have my "Fuel Density Compensator" installed. I actually like having it. I plan on tearing one of my spare pumps down and figure out a way to prevent fuel and oil mixing. There has to be a way to separate them besides a highly machined surface.

dmetalmiki

I know this doesn't help you right now, but your accident will I'm sure help someone in the future from going down this dark road. I for one will be installing that fuel shut-off after the fuel filters !
Thank you for that, (So), This weekend the apprentices WILL be fitting Shut Off valves as described to ALL our fleet. (Obliged).

rustystud

Correct it needs to be controlled from the cab.
How hard is it to get out of the cab, open the engine compartment side cover and turn a handle ? I suppose I could install a cable to pull the handle. As far as how fast it shuts-off the motor. It's under 2 seconds. Once the fuel in the pump is gone that's it.
Also lets remember, these engines don't just "take-off" for no reason. Usually someone has replaced or adjusted their injection pump. So knowing this as I start-up my truck after performing some kind of service to the injection pump, I just stay by the shut-off valve until I know the engine will be fine. I have never heard of any Multifuel just randomly going off to full throttle unless the pedal got stuck.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Respectfully yes they can just take off. Yes there has been a case where someone did some thing wrong after working on the IP. Most runaway's are caused by fuel control assembely sticking because of built up on the services from sitting and engine cut off left in instead out locked out. Ok 2 seconds add the 10 to 15 seconds to get to the valve from cab if there is not a helper to push the start button. If you do not know how long a motor has been sitting how hard is it to pull off shut down cover ( two flat screws) and check if fuel control is free or bound up. If it was running fine yesterday chances are it will be fine tomorrow. I prefer to know what is going to happen than guess what is going to happen. As always it's your truck do with it what you will just agreed with Razor I want control from the cab. As for the IP's that runaway after working on them maybe the person who worked on it should not have.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was a better Idea if you worry and controlled from the cab. Thanks Orren.
Another good Idea is leave the engine kill pulled out and locked after shut down. If the fuel control does bind up it is bound in the no fuel position. This should be SOP. Maybe checking the fuel control ( removing the shut down cover) should be a thing done every so often.
Also need to bypass your FDC as this two is SOP. No reason to have it only problems if it is left in the system.

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Respectfully yes they can just take off. Yes there has been a case where someone did some thing wrong after working on the IP. Most runaway's are caused by fuel control assembely sticking because of built up on the services from sitting and engine cut off left in instead out locked out. Ok 2 seconds add the 10 to 15 seconds to get to the valve from cab if there is not a helper to push the start button. If you do not know how long a motor has been sitting how hard is it to pull off shut down cover ( two flat screws) and check if fuel control is free or bound up. If it was running fine yesterday chances are it will be fine tomorrow. I prefer to know what is going to happen than guess what is going to happen. As always it's your truck do with it what you will just agreed with Razor I want control from the cab. As for the IP's that runaway after working on them maybe the person who worked on it should not have.
So as a near future M35A2 owner, as long as it starts and runs fine when I pick it up & I don't mess with the IP, I should not have to worry any about a runaway? I'm already planning to pick up a CO2 extinguisher to have with me when I drive the truck home (1700mi).

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found two pictures I took. Yes I still have my "Fuel Density Compensator" installed. I actually like having it. I plan on tearing one of my spare pumps down and figure out a way to prevent fuel and oil mixing. There has to be a way to separate them besides a highly machined surface.
Thanks for the photos. I think I will need to fit something to work from the cab since I'm guessing that opening the side panel on the hood will be a bit tough with the snorkel installed.

rustystud

This was a better Idea if you worry and controlled from the cab. Thanks Orren.
Another good Idea is leave the engine kill pulled out and locked after shut down. If the fuel control does bind up it is bound in the no fuel position. This should be SOP. Maybe checking the fuel control ( removing the shut down cover) should be a thing done every so often.
Also need to bypass your FDC as this two is SOP. No reason to have it only problems if it is left in the system.
As far as replacing my "Fuel Density Compensator" just because it might cause a problem, I don't think so. There is a valid reason to keep it on the truck. I plan on exploring ways to prevent any fuel and oil mixing. Now if tomorrow for some reason the FDC starts to leak into the oil then I will take it off for now. Since my truck and engine was built in 1988 it still is a pretty new injection pump. Most guys rigs here are much older and probably more abused. Mine was treated pretty good at the Air-Force base here in Washington State. I was very lucky to get such a nice truck. Also it was the last lot of deuces sold here in WA. so I'm thinking they keep the best ones till last.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks