• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce was dead on side of the road.

andy3

OK I am looking to order a couple of 7/8"-18 magnetic oil plugs as another peace of mind precaution. Any other suggestions for me? I have the spin on oil filter kits that I was getting almost instant oil pressure with the 1458 filters. I don't want to de-rail with too much snake oil talk but after a dead motor I want to err on the side of caution.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It seems that it really does not matter what kind of filters you run or anything like that. If it wants to give up the ghost, it will.

I agree with this and I'd also like to add:

By the time we get these engines and add better filters to them, they've already lived 90% of their wear. So this is sort of like waxing your 10 year old car 6 months before the clear coat starts peeling.

Don't get me wrong-I have a set of spin-on's but I have them for convenience sakes, not better oiling.

212sparky

So here is where we stand with things. We are waiting to get a status update on the motor from Wreckerman893.

Brake Cleaner
Degreaser
Oil-Rotella T3 15w40 Coffey1Ken
Coolant Andyrv6av8r Andy
Belts Water, Alternator, Air
Spin on oil filter (Need to check the numbers from tie6044 or on my truck)
Brown paper bagsSCSG-G4Mike
Main Seal
MotorWreckerman893Richard
Pilot Bearing
Throw out bearing
The Tow73m819Ron
Rags/Hand CleanerBCChavetteButch
PlywoodRmtaunton
Blue Gloves

I have new secondary Fuel Filters and a Westfolk primary fuel filter to mount while we’re at it. Keep telling me what else to have on hand/bring. I would rather have it on-site than try to locate parts un Union Point. Fluids, cleaners, bolts that are going to be frozen and eaten up in age. I’ll have a couple of cans of PBBlaster, etching primer and Rapco paint. If I missed a post and a pledge I apologize. I am sure I am missing some things that we might need. so chime in. Whatever is not picked up on the list I will have with me. Thank you all!
I would recommend lower and upper radiator hoses since it will be easy to get to. Wish I could be there to see it.

Rmtaunton

Also of anybody has any we are going to need 5 gallon buckets for anti freeze etc. preferably paint buckets with sealed lids ,

andy3

Actually, we can drain antifreeze but I have someone that wants the failed motor as is to do a failure analysis. We can drain coolant beforehand but need to leave the oil in the motor.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy I would let him drain oil also and put it in a clean container and sent it with motor.
So we don't have to worry about spills of large amounts of oil there.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Should not be any oil spill unless the motor is dumped over, the anti freeze makes great weed killer, just can not get it to close to the front lawn because if it hills the weeds, I won't have a front lawn, though that works for me but not my wife.

oddshot

Andy I would let him drain oil also and put it in a clean container and sent it with motor.
So we don't have to worry about spills of large amounts of oil there.
Yes ... I will bring containers for the oil. Better to drain it and secure it rather than risk a spill.

I also have a big black plastic cement mixing tub. It might be handy to use as a basin to wash parts in.

Last edited:

andy3

So from I I hear from you guys if it's not the removable crossmember we are talking about a blue wrench? It's a 1970 model if that helps.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No. There are 2 types of front motor mounts. One can be un-bolted, thats the easy one. The second is riveted in, and dropping the oilpan before pulling the motor helps a bunch. No cutting when I pull motors!

andy3

Update for the day. I have paid for the replacement motor. Reckless arrives to the rally on Wednesday with it strapped to a pallet. Complete running takeout motor only missing the turbo.

I am looking at a source for a couple of magnetic oil drain plugs. Still need to pickup new belts and radiator hoses but all in due time.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can certainly wiggle the engine in with the pan on but it won't be without some scratches and maybe a ding or two. Is the plan now to remove the engine and tranny as a unit? If your truck has the removable front crossmember, I would pull the powerpack as an assy and strip it outside the truck.