• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deutz f1l 208f governor assistance needed

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deutz f1l 208f (5kwctmgsa gen) its alive sorta

I had to swap out injector pump on a gen set I have with Deutz 1cylinder air cooled was wondering if a manual existed or someones experience in setting these up. The TM i have is very vague on setting it.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I found several civilian manuals in ***Bay, both here in germany and in the states. Both in english and german. Parts galore also, but most were here in germany. This engine was widely used here with water pumps and compactors. This is an almost indestructible engine. If I can find an OLD guy I know, he worked on these things for 40 years. I dont even know if he is alive. I will go ask about him on next monday.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found several civilian manuals in ***Bay, both here in germany and in the states. Both in english and german. Parts galore also, but most were here in germany. This engine was widely used here with water pumps and compactors. This is an almost indestructible engine. If I can find an OLD guy I know, he worked on these things for 40 years. I dont even know if he is alive. I will go ask about him on next monday.
That would be awesome. The military cart air compressors use these, but their TM is terrible too. I saw the manual on that site but was afraid it was in German. I haven't mastered English yet, definitely
not ready for another language. LOL Appreciate any help very much. I have 3 of these genset using these motors. robbed a viable injector pump from one and am just struggling with governor a bit.

Guyfang

Staff member
No problemo! There should be one someplace on line, downloadable. Need to try looking around. Perhaps Helmut has one I can scan. Just have to find the old fat first. There are lots of the gen sets on sale in ***bay, germany.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think I have governor adjusted pretty close. Actually won't be able to tell until I get running well enough to put load test on it. Don't think my electric fuel pump is keeping enough pressure on lines. Gen will come right up and make power running really well governor controlling like it should. Then it starts starving for fuel, just bogs down at which point I just stop it. I can reprime and it fires right back up. I have two parts units so I'm going to go steal the fuel pump from the unit that donated its injector pump. Here are some pics. Guyfang reminds me that he likes them. Lol. Her you go buddy and thanks for what you give to this site.

IMG_1778.jpgIMG_1779.jpgIMG_1781.jpgIMG_1782.jpg

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the fuel system clean? Have you disassembled and cleaned it from one end to the other? Might be the problem.
The fuel system was horrible. I flushed the lines, at least the ones I am using. Just have temp inline filters right now. Bypassed original filters since they were specially made and obsolete. Have to change base and all. Odd thread size on existing. There are supposed to be some available according to NSN data base, but I don't need 25. Min order.
If I can establish this unit as viable, I am going to install some of the little Parker raco filters. I also read a thread where people were using these on MEP units.
View attachment 10219_Rev_B_120A_and_120B_Series.pdf

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Line# : 1
Part Number : 4330-01-324-3623
Alternate :
Description : FILTER,FLUID
Manufacturer :
Date Code :
Condition :
Certification:
Traceability :
Quantity : 0
Unit Price : 0.0000

Delivery Time: SORRY, NO STOCK

Line 1 Notes: SORRY, NO STOCK

Line# : 2
Part Number : 4330-01-317-5390
Alternate :
Description : FILTER ELEMENT,FLUID
Manufacturer :
Date Code :
Condition :
Certification:
Traceability :
Quantity : 0
Unit Price : 0.0000

Delivery Time: SORRY, NO STOCK

Line 2 Notes: SORRY, NO STOCK

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got it running. Decided I was getting air in line as electric pump was keeping sufficient pressure. Was checking my temporary fuel supply and inline fuel filter. Moved line around and could hear air being sucked in through crack in hose. Replaced the hose on suction side of pump and it fires right up and runs. Put sides on and was ready to pull outside for load test when the sky opened up. Guess I'll test tomorrow. Had to run it so started in garage. http://youtu.be/vcnhhPdeosc

That was the good news. Now for the bad. Has a bad drip that appears to be coming from drive end main bearing seal. I am going to ga ahead and load test, looks like this will be another project that I am not going to be 100% on. That being said I would definitely hook this thing up if I were out of power. Just keep oil topped off. And if it burns up I'll pull it off the trailer and put trailer into service some other way. Good thing I only have $250 in this machine. BTW sorry for the poor video.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to catch a break in rain, where I could load test. Was only on able to test to 90% (4500watt) as the local hardware store only had 3ea 120VAC 1500w elements. This unit is rated at 5000w single phase 120vac. It handled the load with little problem which verifies that I indeed get governor set correctly. Hz had pulled down to 59, but was able to set that with external governor adjustment. I did find that i have quite a few oil leaks. I guess 25+ years of Oklahoma sun took its toll. I'm sure I may have stretched a few safety rules with my set-up. I did JSA and put up barricade, just hope my work doesn't see this.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrGkRSI8SNU

Guyfang

Staff member
line# : 1
part number : 4330-01-324-3623
alternate :
description : Filter,fluid
manufacturer :
date code :
condition :
certification:
traceability :
quantity : 0
unit price : 0.0000

delivery time: Sorry, no stock

line 1 notes: Sorry, no stock

line# : 2
part number : 4330-01-317-5390
alternate :
description : Filter element,fluid
manufacturer :
date code :
condition :
certification:
traceability :
quantity : 0
unit price : 0.0000

delivery time: Sorry, no stock

line 2 notes: Sorry, no stock
85242-p is the part number for the top NSN. Both NSN's are not just unavailable, they are GONE. Only minimal info in FEDLOG, "Deleted, no replacment." I saw several of these gen sets for sale here in german *bay. Maybe I can find a german army manual. Will give it a try. Interesting.

Last edited:

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
85242-p is the part number for the top NSN. Both NSN's are not just unavailable, they are GONE. Only minimal info in FEDLOG, "Deleted, no replacment." I saw several of these gen sets for sale here in german *bay. Maybe I can find a german army manual. Will give it a try. Interesting.
From the research I've done on filter, they were made by Nelson who was bought out by Cummings. The filter holder is just machined aluminum, the kicker is that the used an odd nipple for attachment to filter. Best I can tell it a m17 thread. Guess what, no fuel filters available today use that thread, or at least not that I buddy at auto parts store can find. Actually pretty smart by Stewart and Stevenson, make filter where they are sole seller or at least gatekeeper to these, then you can charge whatever you want.

Guyfang

Staff member
From the research I've done on filter, they were made by Nelson who was bought out by Cummings. The filter holder is just machined aluminum, the kicker is that the used an odd nipple for attachment to filter. Best I can tell it a m17 thread. Guess what, no fuel filters available today use that thread, or at least not that I buddy at auto parts store can find. Actually pretty smart by Stewart and Stevenson, make filter where they are sole seller or at least gatekeeper to these, then you can charge whatever you want.
I would bet next month's paycheck, that if I was a CECOM rep, I could find some, someplace, in the army inventory. When I was on active, and could use World Wide Parts Locater, I found stuff long supposedly deleted, dropped, sold off for scrap, in our supply system. In 1974, we requested a new flag for our HAWK site. The "New" flag that was sent to us only had 48 stars on it. You just never know.