• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dismounting and then remounting tires...need help

DeuceNewb

I know i've seen lots of threads with people talking about taking stock tires off, or putting new ones on, but none of them really explain how to do it. I have absolutely no clue. I know that the split ring has to come off, but i don't know how.
I need to dismount 6 stock deuce 9's and put 395's on them.

I have 1 i tried to practice on today and gained nothing. The valve stem is missing so there was no air in it. I ran over it with my suburban and could not get the bead to break.

What I do know is that when airing back up, the split ring is very dangerous if not seated corrrectly. I would wrap a chain around rim and tire all the way around so if it comes loose it cannot fly away from the wheel.

Can somebody explain it to me as if i'm a complete idiot that doesn't know anything?
What tools do i need, and what is the step by step procedure for dismounting and then mounting. Also, any pictures would be great.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tools, A duckbill hammer, a couple of tire irons and a bottle of water/dish soap.

It would be best to watch someone do it first, it is easier to see what is happening than tell you.

They are easy, but they can hurt you, therefore the hands on tutorial is needed.

This is how I cage them when I air them up...

Attachments

chaplain

I have actually seen a thread somewhere on this. Check out the search. If I remember it was a greatly detailed thread with photo's.
james

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpyrobb had a good thread with lots of pics that pretty well walked you through the process.

My favorite tool for breaking the bead is a duckbill hammer. There are several different tools for this and some people like some better than others. Lots of soapy water on the bead area helps a bunch also. Other than that you're going to need a couple of prybars. They make bars that are made for changing tires but you can get by with almost any type of prybar.

Once you get the bead driven down you should be able to remove the lock ring by using the prybars. After the lock ring is off the tire should slide off the wheel.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doing split rims suck. Doing them with incorrect tools REALLY sucks. I prefer to pay to have them done when I can.

chaplain

Doing split rims suck. Doing them with incorrect tools REALLY sucks. I prefer to pay to have them done when I can.
agreed, My tire guy does a complete dismount and remount in about 12 minutes tops. and charges about 10 bucks. I would rather pay him to do it safely and (I hate to say it) take the risk. He has the cage and everything and I stand back (about a hundred yards) and watch.

hvygunner

Before I saw all the replies I wrote:

Okay, first off, you're talking about an operation that I wouldn't recommend to a novice. What I would do is take your rims and tires to a tire shop that deals with farm equipment or big rigs. Watch how they do it. They'll use something that looks like the cross between an axe and a sledge to break the bead (duckbill), and then they'll swap out the tires.

When they reassemble the tire, they use a tire cage (easy to fabricate) that contains the tire and rim part if they blow apart - a chain won't cut it and may become part of the problem. The whole process should cost too much for the experts to do it.

Right now, though, I wouldn't try to do this myself, not without some training, just to be safe.

See the common thread? Be safe, and let the experts do it...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of us who can't aim a duckbill, I use a mechanical bead breaker. It's difficult on the best day of your life to do it with boards and driving vehicles over beads.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like with everything else, there is a manual, TM 9-2610-200-20.
I don't like the duck bill hammer, could be very traumatic for the tire if not handled exactly right.
(The TM makes it look easy, but that was when the tire was fresh and the wheel nice and clean)

Attachments

cessnatwin

I have a 7am appointment with Wingfoot, Good years tire division for trucks, for 45 dollars they will dismount the tire put a new correct size tube in it and install the 46" tires! If you have someone nearby like that pay them, they do a tire removal and install in about 10 minutes tops each!

Tackettr

I watched my grandfather break-down a many of split-rims, he was a master with a duckbill hammer. I am not! I use several pieces of heavey duty 3" x 3" angle iron and a sledge hammer to drive them in. I picked this up from a thread on here if you can find it, has a lot of pictures too. Again, this works best for me and usually cheaper if you have some scap angle iron & a sledge hammer.[thumbzup]

Heavysteven

FYI, it took 2 guys an hour to change one of my tires. They were taking turns with that duckbill seldge had to do both sides. Total cost labor and new tube $50. It was not worth doing myself.

800summit

I had to talk to a ole timer on the proper break down on the duckbill hammer to the bead, his recommendation was to hit the duckbill with a sledge hammer untill you could hear the distinct sound of the duckbill up against the steel. then go over a couple of inches and do it all over again all the way around. This will make you tuff and will also make you sweat.
after the bead is broken everything goes much easier.

AZDeuce

I use a large slide hammer, with a duckbill on the end. No damage to anything......well, except it can pinch your fingers if you don't pay attention.

DeuceNewb

i would gladly pay a shop to do it if there were any near where i lived that wouldn't charge a lot of money per tire.

How do you use the duckbill hammer? do i swing it or hit it with something else? Which way is it held and swung and to where?