• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dismounting and then remounting tires...need help

800summit

first I stand on the tire with the bill side of the hammer towards the tire, next I put the handle of the duckbill between my legs and hold it there with my knees. Next hit the head part with a sledge and keep hitting until the hammer is in the tire and rim. you can let go of the handle with your knees after it stands up by itself. drive the duckbill in until you hear it hit the inside of the rim. Next move over 6" and do it all over again. Keep doing this all the way around and use the handle to break the bead. Hope this will help

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Swinging the duckbill (or in my case an old dull mattock) and hitting between the ring and the bead is a learned art. You will smack the ring and get the full effect on your hands a few times before you get it down to a science.
Using copious amounts of soapy water (for some reason Dawn works best for me) between the ring and the bead will hasten matters a lot.

Once you get the bead broke and the ring off you will have to flip the tire over and do the reverse side.....same proceedure as the front......if you are lucky it will break easier that the ring side. Sometimes setting it up on an empty rim will help it fall off.

When reinflating without a cage you can put a forklift fork or a front end loader bucket on top of it and put a snap on chuck on it. Once the bead is over the ring it is almost impossible for the ring to come off.

I wish I had a buck for every one I did this way in the Army.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take them to a tire shop! It just cost me $25.00 about a week ago to have a new tube installed at a local truck tire shop. Best money I ever spent. Fifteen minutes tops.

bottleworks

So, your in Chapel Hill. Look up Snider tire. They are in Greensboro and should be able to help you. The bottom line is if your asking about mount/dismounting and declaring you have no idea - this is not for you. Get professional training and then take a stab at it. Snider also does training BTW.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They stood on the tire and swung it.
That's how I do it. You've got to have good aim though. You want to hit it right where the wheel meets the tire at the proper angle. Don't know how to tell you what the "proper angle" is other than after you do a few you will figure out what angle works best.

84crawling

Ok so im in the same boat here and debating on changin my own tires cuss no one seems to want to work on these rims and the ones that do want $50 a tire + $33 for a tube.

Just My "idea" but has anyone ever tryed taking the valve core out of all the tubes while on the truck and rolling back and forth 12' or so to let the weight of the duce break the beads? I know this will work on smaller tires..anyone see a problem with this idea?

Chief_919

A hint for anyone planning to do your own tires- if you don't have a cage, an easy an affordable way to make one is to take an M105 bed and put it on the ground upside down. Then just slide your tire under and inflate away.

NEVER inflate one without a cage!!

jimmcld

Not to disagree with everyone, but my tire man says not to use soapy water. He says that it causes rust on the rims. Spring for the regular tire lube.

Also, just playing around in the shop before my tire man came, I came up with using a pry bar to break the bead. If you drive the crooked end between the tire and rim, you can then hit the top of the bar and the crooked end will push the tire down. I wouldn't try any of these however, if your as old as I am. This is a job for young privates.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a local guy changing mine out for $12 each, took him about ten minutes a tire, problem is a month or so ago he was working on his stock car and set a can of ether down on his battery, it looks like he will be out for 3-4 months, so I may try some myself.