• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually M1028A2, South Florida Rebuild

Stonepicker1

Worked on the Dually today...Installed the ARP Stud Kit...Did make it easier installing the heads.
I switched the top of my old injector pump with the HMMWV 24 volt injector pump, so I could keep the 12 volt hookup. Also turned up the the fuel a 1/4 turn.
Install a new lift pump(I had it as a backup, I was going to install an electric fuel pump but a little short on $$$ right now)
Installed some of the Banks Turbo stuff to see if it will work. so far not to bad. Should have this enging installed next weekend if all goes well.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Worked on fitting the oil line from the block to the turbo.
On the 6.5L I guest the hole is larger than on the 6.2L(see pictures) Had to use a brass adapter to make it it work. Also made a tool to get the plug out of the block.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

I had a leak in a oil cooler hose last year coming back from SC. I removed both hoses and pluged the holes to keep going.

Went to the Hyd Hose store today and had two oil cooler hoses made up with 45 deg fittings to mount in the block. $75.00 for both setup. The hoses are over 2000 psi and should last my life time.

Attachments

Nonotagain

I wasn't aware that Parker was having fittings made in China as shown in pic #4.

I guess that I'll have to specify to Colliflower no imported fittings or hoses on my next order.

Did you go with new pistons or salvage one from the other engine?

Stonepicker1

I wasn't aware that Parker was having fittings made in China as shown in pic #4.

I guess that I'll have to specify to Colliflower no imported fittings or hoses on my next order.

I reused all "eight" turbo pistons from the CUCV-II engine and got new rings.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

The Parker hose is made in USA. I saw the china stamped on the fitting after I got home:mad:. The Hyd Store must be buying cheap fittings now. It seems everything is coming from oversea's.:sad:

Stonepicker1

Installed new oil cooler hoses that go to the oil lines that run in-front of the radiator. I think this will work out for me. I was going to buy the kit for $245.00 + shipping, but went with the Hyd hoses for $75.00 and they were made just down the street. :smile:

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Finally got the engine back into the truck. I dropped it in with the turbo attached to see if it would clear the battery tray and it did.
Not sure if I will remove the front battery tray and install the Banks air cleaner housing or fab something up like a snorkle kit.
I don't like the area around the fuel pump. The exhaust inlet is real close to the metal fuel line and battery starter cable . If I had knowned this was the case, I would of went with an electic fuel pump. May still have too.
I'll try and hook everything up this weekend.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Had some time to work on installing the 6.5L turbo engine in the CUCV dually tonight. Should have this up and running by this weekend.
Still have to fab a brace for the air filter box and make up a hose for the crankcase breather to the filter box.

Have the down pipe mounted, now for the rest of the exhaust system.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend, you have too many irons in too many fires. I forgot about that truck. Now that you have the CUCV II trucks, you will never drive these.

Stonepicker1

My friend, you have too many irons in too many fires. I forgot about that truck. Now that you have the CUCV II trucks, you will never drive these.
Lol...yes, AC in the CUCV-II is nice, but I love my CUCV Dually. With tinted windows, the Florida heat is not that bad.

Trying to get it fixed so I can trailer her to the GA Rally.:p

Did I tell you the wife not happy with me....O well, she will get over it, I hope.:shock:

axlr8

Nice rigs you have there...or atleast rig.... im curious whered the 6.2 come from and why did you remove it??? i musta missed something.....like always...well be expecting a video of your turbo 6.5 cucv dually running and driving....:p