• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether Start Kit on Ebay

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
You ordered the QK-2050-D92 part number and it came with a bottle? They were going to include one with the QS-2002 that was a total of $132.20. I think that that kit was the kit without the retrofit fittings. Please get back with me as I will give them a call back to try and get one included.

Armada

Lee, I like your idea of having the spare ether bottle mounted on the truck. Murphy's law says you will need it when the truck is away from home and the spare bottle is in the garage...:)

houdel

Actually, my truck came with the ether kit and a clamp for a spare cylinder mounted on the rad support above the left headlight. The NOS ether start kit also comes with an extra clamp for the spare cylinder. Of course, a 13 oz cylinder is good for about 200 shots, and is only used below 20F, so the spare cylinder may hang around for a long time. The cylinder which came with my truck (it did not have a spare) seemed to be 1/3 - 1/2 full when I checked it.

houdel

builder77 said:
Oh and the bottle thread size is 1"x 20.
Builder77 - You'd better recheck that thread size. Both the kit which came on my truck and the NOS kit I have are 7/8" thread x 13 oz cylinders, exactly the same thread as a disposable propane cylinder. Plus, the 1" thread cylinders are about twice the price of the 7/8" thread cylinders!

As some one noted above, it would be interesting to see what happened if someone hooked up an ether cylinder to a propane torch and tried to light it off. I should say, it would be interesting to see SECOND hand, I doubt I'd want to try it myself!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
houdel I am trying to figure out where to move one of my heater hoses as my ether kit has the thermostat going where one of my heater hoses is right now. I can see your hoses going down past the intake, but I can't see where you have it hooked up. Do you have pic you could post.

On my truck wire 55 is wrapped together with the engine coolant temp. gauge wire up near where the above stuff is. It looks like it goes from your dash switch to the flame heater if it was there.

houdel

I'll try and clean the snow off the Deuce and get some pics for you. Might take me a couple of days, my plate is a little full right now, but if I haven't posted anything by Thursday afternoon PM me a reminder.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
red devils dude that link is perfect. I want to replace all my hoses anyways, so making a longer one will be no problem.

While I am glad that I bought this kit I really don't think I needed at all at least for the infrequent usage I will have. The thing is I could just as easily open my passenger windshield, slid over into the passenger seat, give it a little throttle with my left foot, and spray some starter fluid toward the intake with my right arm out the windowshield while cranking it. $150 kit vs. $2 bottle starter fluid.

houdel

builder77 said:
The thing is I could just as easily open my passenger windshield, slid over into the passenger seat, give it a little throttle with my left foot, and spray some starter fluid toward the intake with my right arm out the windowshield while cranking it. $150 kit vs. $2 bottle starter fluid.
You DON"T want to do that! That it way too much ether. While commonly called an ether start kit, it is more correctly an ether ASSIST start kit. The engine does not actually start on the ether. The start kit only injects 4-6 CCs of ether over a six second interval, while you are cranking the engine. Each cylinder receives a tiny whiff of ether.

Since the ether has a very low auto ignition temperature, it fires well before the injector fires. As it is but a tiny amount of ether, the only effect is to slightly increase the cylinder compression but more importantly to raise the temperature of the air in the combustion chamber. Then when the injector fires, the fuel is injected into pre-warmed air, much in the same way a flame heater works.

If you were to spray a large amount of ether into the intake, too much ether could get into a cylinder with potentially disastrous results. The ether would ignite way too soon in the compression cycle and could either break something expensive, or start the engine running backwards. Yes, multifuel engines will run backwards, as has been noted in other posts, but it is not a good thing to do!

And yes, I have seen military mechanics spray ether directly into the mushroom inlet to start a balky engine, but it is not their truck and they don't have to pay for the repairs!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was not talking about hosing the intake down. Just a small squirt from about two feet away from the intake. I figure most would miss the intake anyways. Due to extra time in the intake it should also have more time to mix with the intake air to help make it more even between the cylinders. If the kit can do it safely then it should also be safe to do in manually with care.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are near a salvage yard for combines and farm tractors, many had ether start kits on them. I am sure they will be cheaper than the kits sold new. They take a normal ether can from NAPA which is cheaper also. Many are 12 volt. Power for it can be pulled off one battery. I intend to pick some up my next visit to the salvage yard near me.
Regards Marti

JoshC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a search with no luck, does anyone have a NAPA part number for the bottle? I called NAPA with Amanda's unmber (thanks Red!) and they are looking for a cross reference but said they were not having much luck finding it...

houdel

Screw NAPA, they are too expensive. Check out your smaller parts shops. Quick Start is the most known name, my spare cylinder is labeled "KAT'S engine starting fluid", I got it from the local Parts Plus store for $24 and some change.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got NAPA number 605-3252 as the part number for the 1"x20tpi bottle when I priced it with them. At least here they only carry it at the hub stores. I second houdel advice NAPA is about $40 for a bottle. With some leg work you should be able to get it for around $25 a bottle. My bottle is a KAT's too. Try your yellow pages for trucking supply stores.

JoshC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info guys. Good advice for sure about NAPA, I wonder how they justify that? I found a IH dealer 20 miles away that sells them for $12 a bottle! I do not know the brand name yet but I should tomorrow.

houdel

Check your fittings - both the kit on my truck and the spare OEM kit I have are both 7/8" thread, the same size as a propane cylinder. If in doubt, see if a propane cylinder will screw into the solenoid, if so it is 7/8" thread. Not that a propane cylinder will work, the auto ignition temperature of propane is HIGHER than diesel fuel, but at least you can be certain of the thread size. The 1" thread cylinders are a LOT more money than the 7/8", at least at the parts store where I bought my spare cylinder! I got my cylinder for $24.02 at a local small chain parts store. If you can't find it for that price, try another parts store until you find a price you like. It may take a bit of searching, but most parts stores can get them. Ask them to look for either KATS or Quick Start products.

ida34

I got two 7/8 inch cylinders for my GI quick start kit and promptly found out that I need a 1" cylinder. This is a GI installed kit.