• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Having some Problems with a 1970 M35

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am new to this site and apologize for my lack of knowledge on this topic. However I am a Army Infantry Veteran out of 10th mountain. while i was in the service, I loved the deuce and a half and always wanted one. So I just brought a 1970, M35 American General, Engine Model Number LDT-456-12354299.

On the way home I ran it out of diesel by accident do to a faulty fuel gauge. This is not my first diesel so I know I have to prime the system back up; however i have only dealt with PowerStroke, and they are nothing like the M35. :deadhorse:

1. My grand father said that I would have to replace all four filters before I can prime it. Is this true and what type of filter are they and where can i get them?

2. When I turn on the auxiliary switch, the fuel pump will not kick on until I hit the top of the tank near the pump. I think that i might need a fuel pump as well and cant find any for this truck either can some one send me a website for this?

3. Also another problem is that i have no power to my head light, brake lights, and turning signals. Is there a fuse box i am missing or a switch? are there any wiring diagram for this truck?

4. The last issue is that I need a front drive shaft from the transfer case to front axles and cant find it a place that sale them?

I would appreciate any guidance or information one this and thanks to all of you.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy:cookoo:

Unless you sucked a lot of crud into thr filters you should be able to crank it without changing them (there are only three filters on the deuce, primary (under the alternator) and two secondaries (on the drivers side of the engine).

A deuce will sometimes crank even if the in tank fuel pump is not working.

You need to put at least 15 gallons of good fuel in the tank, turn on the switch and listen for the in tank pump, if it is working you can open the bleeder valve on top of the secondaries........if fuel begins to squirt out (this may take a while for all three filters to fill up) then you should have fuel to the Injector Pump.

If a diesel has fuel, air and sufficient power in the batteries it should crank.

You can use a small amount of ether while cranking on it but be very careful or you can do serious damage to the engine.

If it still won't crank you may need to get an mechanic that understands the mulit-fuel to check it out.

There is a slim chance the IP went out.......you never know.

Hope this helps.

PS....you can download all the manuals here and use the trouble shooting guides to assist you.

Last edited:

Big Z

Welcome aboard.
There is a search function in this forum that can help you get answers to many questions you might have.
Here is the link to the technical manuals on the deuce: JATONKA's M35 TM download page There are SEVERAL. Open the manual, check the index to see what chapters cover what, and conquer.
I tried attaching a wiring diagram to this post...if it didn't work, I think the wiring diagram is in the stickies at the top of the deuce forum.
Check this site's classifieds for a drive shaft. Some guys are parting there trucks out and others have individual parts listed. You might have to send a private message inquiring on the parts you need. The link to the classifieds is in the middle of the page when you scroll to the top. Another option would be to google "m35a2 parts." Several dealers are online, but you still might have to call them asking about a certain part.
Good luck!

Clay James

1. You can reprime the system without changing the filters but if they are dirty you should change them. The primary is NAPA 3512 and the gasket should fit. Secondaries are 3117 and gasket is 5070.

2. Sounds like a ground problem.

3. The switch to control the lights is next to the steering column. It's an oval shape with three levers. The bottom right one unlocks the other levers. To turn on the signals, turn the top one click to the right and lights is two clicks. Turning it to the left controls the blackout lights. The bottom left switch controls the gauge lights. The deuce has no fuses other than the one in the fuel pump. It does have breakers on the front of the firewall.

4. Try some of the parts suppliers such as Eriks Military Surplus or Eastern Surplus.

91W350

Wreckerman is right on the money! He usually is, except when under the influence of the opossum, Elmo....

The light switch may be bad, they have an internal circuit breaker, pull the plug off of the back of the switch and see if any of the connectors have power. I am sure one of the Florida guys can help you out with your shaft issue. There is a big boatload of deuces down your way! Glen

phil2968

Welcome to the site Highfavor. Is this truck at your house or somewhere else? I'm just down here in Lakeland. I could help you out with getting it started if needed.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes sir it helps,
What happen was as was, while I was traveling back from buying the truck. It was running prefect for about 20 minutes, until I topped a hill about 2 miles from my house. The truck then just died out as if it had a lost of power. The fuel gauge was reading a half a tank up to this point, but when the truck lost power the fuel gauge went straight to Empty. I put about 5 gallons of diesel in it raising the gauge to a quarter of a tank, and conducted the idea with the either (Starter Fluid). While only spraying two short burst into the air cleaner the truck fired up long enough to burn the either out. I repeated this process three times. While the truck was in the process of burning the either there was no throttle response. So instead of risking anymore damage or harm to the truck I came here. I am a bit puzzled

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What you want to do is turn the power switch on, make sure the in tank pump is turning, and go open the bleeder on the top of the final 2 filters. They are on the side of the motor close to the fire wall. Once fuel squirts out without air, close it up and start her up. Might need a shot of ether, probably not. If you do this and it doesn't fire, let us know and we can trouble shoot from there.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10/4 thank you for all your help I really appreciate it and looking to joining all of you on the next rally in Florida. to phil2968 just give me a call when ever you can i am off tomorrow as well as the rest of the weak so i am flexible to whatever your schedule is thank you