• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heated fuel tank project, biodiesel, WVO..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you could, any large container is good. Agitation is not good, if the water/bio mix is agitated, it takes a long time for the soap to settle out. People use aquarium airators to send bubbles through the bio to absorb the methanol and NaHO. Water is poured into the container and then the biodiesel on top. The bubbler is in the water and the water coated bubbles rise through the bio to the top and very tiny water droplets sink back picking up the impurities.

Agitation and centrifuging is worth trying for a faster procedure.

Bjorn

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ran it to the store a little while ago. Its sitting outside but the sun isn't too intense today. I have to make one more store run to get a thermometer since I can't find a one of mine. I'll have data shortly.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kenny. Meanwhile, one step closer to completing the dual tank system (thanks to Mr Engle's grand idea about blocking one of the baffles).
Image one shows the two check valves that controls the flow of fuel to the IP. Whichever pump is pushing will feed the IP.
Image two shows the cutting of the old fuel tank. CO2 is used to reduce danger of fire.
Image three is the current state of the project. Just assembly work left.

Bjorn

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to admit, I'm at a loss as to how quick you ran with that idea Bjorn. I would never have thought that you would be mostly done with it in a day. I'm flattered! Will there be an article on this whole tank idea? I have to be honest about the whole deal, the idea came to me just as I was typing the very reply that posted it in. I think I'll be doing the same thing here just to have a tank ready when the opportunity arrives.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, motivation is everything and the prospect of having to fabricate a custom second fuel tank had started to delay the project.

Another pix showing further progress. The closed off baffle section (on the left) will be for diesel and now has the pump, filler, level sending unit and fuel return in place. Note the coolant hoses in the larger tank section and the fitting next to its level sending unit for a thermocouple probe.

Bjorn

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To continue this story, here are a couple of images showing the "donor" tank and the fiberglassing of the baffle to seal the edges (the baffles are spot welded and may not seal along the sides.
It's been raining for the last few days and the tank is ready to be installed as soon as the weather permits.

Bjorn

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That tank is going to bewilder folks trying to figure out just what in the heck you did. I can't wait to see the confused look on folks faces.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a question I've been pondering. How long will you have to run the truck to clear out the SVO and get to the diesel fuel. I'm guessing one would have to factor in the capacity of the 3 fuel filters when figuring this out. Wondering if one could put a little tap at the injection pump inlet to sample fuel to see just how long it takes. Was also figuring that if one was only stopping for lunch on a 60+ day they could probably shut down and restart on the SVO. When I finally get to doing this project, I have a distinct advantage in the fact that it's almost always 80 or above here.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
another question , how do you redirect the return fuel without deluting eather tank, especially at change over

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a separate control for the return lines. I have been looking for a 3-way valve with low Cv, flow factor, and a 28 vdc coil. A lot of valves on ebay require a minimum pressure to operate, which would not be suitable for the return fuel. Meanwhile I'll have a manually controlled valve for switching the return.
I'll show you my little control panel when it gets done.
As far as time to purge the system, I figure about a minute or so. I measured the return flow and it's about 1/2 gallon/minute.

It's drizzling out there today, so I'm not sure the tank will be installed today after all.

Bjorn

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cranetruck, With all the confusion from loosing the forum i forgot to tell you about running your samples through the centrafuge. After shaking your sample untill it was fully suspended i ran it at 2500 RPM's for 60 sec. It seperated the mixture with the white substance on the bottom and the amber "fuel" on the top. The amber fluid was compleatly clear. I could see through the glass jar at objects on the other side. Since brents camara was stolen we were unable to get pics.We will try to get some pics when we get a chance. Sorry about the delay.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news Ken, using the centrifuge would greatly simpify the "washing" of the biodiesel.
The amber fluid is biodiesel and the white stuff soap & water mostly.
How many centrifuges do you have? Would you sell one? :)
I would like to send you another sample, if I may, this time I'd like you to mix the water,
shake it up real good and then run it through your machine again.
Thanks for your help!

Got the dual fuel tank installed except for some plumbing, pictures tomorrow.

Bjorn

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you need seperate returns for the fuel. For the short time it runs on diesel fuel the flow could be directed to the SVO tank. It would just use diesel fuel a bit more. No damage at all if the SVO gets diluted with diesel is there?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While warming up on diesel, a separate return is required. It could take 1/2 hour and with a return flow of 1/2 gallon/minute the diesel tank would empty.

Bjorn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks