• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I guess this qualifies, as over 5 ton. LVT4

Whitey

A little paint and TLC and she'll be good as new! I never realized how tall those things were until I stood next to the one at the Findlay, OH show. They are a neat piece of machinery.

surfdog

Just recently talked with a WWII Coast Guard vet lately who was a machine gunner on a landing craft at Omaha Beach on D-Day. Don't know if it was this type or not.

I never knew the Coast Guard participated in combat operations like that. Did a little searching and found this historical info...

Here's a link to the official CG site:

U.S. Coast Guard History

AndrewH

Maby it's time fora watercraft section.....

We now have proof of evolution. Did yours start like this and grow tracks? I like yours because you could drive right out. I wonder if the DNR guy would still want to check your fish?

Attachments

Gunfreak25

That is the coolest vehicle I have ever seen on all of SS. You have just set the bar higher for a lot of us, who's holy grail once before was something like a M125 Mack or HEMTT.

[Note to self, spend retirement money on an LVT4]

waayfast

Agreed! That is one of the coolest vehicles in the hobby in my eyes.

Now, not to hi-jack but since this monster got bumped up today I'll use the opportunity to ask those on the board that know these things-----I have done a bit of research and have seen mention on the al-mighty interweb, that "some" LVT's were powered by the Guiberson 9 cylinder air cooled radial engine (diesel).

Can anyone verify this and /or that some landing crafts were also powered by the Guiberson Diesel?

Oh, and Jeff--you are one lucky feller to end up with this piece-----we all want to see it painted and giving rides in the drink!!:D

Jim

68427vette

yeap,, used in the quarry to break the ice during frozed days so they could mine the sand out during the winter months,,,

OH, by the way,, i have a LVT4A coming in..:whistle:. now i need a 75mm turretrofl
jc

i have 2 continental 670 radial gas engines!! :popcorn:

Last edited:

BillF

I know where there is an LVT sitting in NH. Not doing anything just sitting rusting away. They are cool rigs wish I could get it and have the space and money to restore it.