• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed my Aurora lights today.

sp00n

I got them from user " atankersdad " here, brand new in the wrapper for less than I could buy a set of cheap 12v KC lights from Autozone, and they're way brighter. Their original function was to be driving lights for the M1A1 Abrams but I don't have anything that cool. Like all surplus stuff they're already 24v and the right color.

I run a landscaping business so I have a ton of edger blades laying around. They're made out of 1/8 inch steel and are very rigid so they make excellent brackets. I cut it at a 45 deg angle on the back side to fit flush against the quarter panel and lined the hole up to use the existing mirror bracket. No new holes in the truck for this install, which is always nice. They are not particularly heavy so I am not concerned with the bracket bending or breaking any of the bolts. Yes, I am going to hit the exposed red wiring with some green paint when I get another can.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are great lights. The high beam is 110 watts and the low is 55 watts. I bought two sets from him and was going to mount one set on my deuce today but didn't get around to it. Going to mount them either on the bumper or to the inside of the composite lights.

sp00n

Posting is already gone!
I was going to look into a set or two, but was too slow at the draw. (I was wrong, if you go to classifieds they are there, it is the link that is not working!)
They look very cool on your truck.

he probably has more. PM him.

sp00n

Those are great lights. The high beam is 110 watts and the low is 55 watts. I bought two sets from him and was going to mount one set on my deuce today but didn't get around to it. Going to mount them either on the bumper or to the inside of the composite lights.

When I was installing them I forgot they had 2 settings so I wired them like you would wire any other electrical object with 2 posts. One grounded one hot. I need to reroute power to the post I have grounded now to take advantage of the other power setting (don't know if I have them on high or low right now)

Does this light ground itself with the mounting stud?

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the kind words guys. These are really nice lights. My son put a used set on his deuce a year ago, that he got at Aberdeen. I was blown away at how bright they were.
Remember that you have 2 hot wires. One is for low and one is for high. No ground needed, since its grounds through the mounting bracket. You can run both high and low beams at the same time for a super bright light. Both sons now have new lights compliments of dear old dad.

zout

Those are a great lighting device and non MV obtrusinve to the look - keeping it military looking.
Great post and looks of the lights and how you mounted them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a box of 4 and wished I could afford 4 more. My lowly little deuce already has 2 in the rear and they are great! I plan on running one on each side under the front of the bed like Gimpy has. We named them "Diatch" lights at the GA Rally. Really thinking of adapting the other pair to the back of the M1008. Thanks Dudley!

DieselBob

I wouldn't think you really need a relay for these. At 110 watts they only draw about 5 amps each on high. Although if you have a pair with both ranges on at the same time you are near 20 amps so a relay would be a good idea.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you guys using to power them? Relays etc?
I have a DPDT (center off) 12A toggle switch that I'm going to use. As DieselBob said, they only draw about 5 amps each. I don't plan on running high and low at the same time.

wsucougarx

Ok so pretty much like this:
Battery--->switch--->Aurora?

What would a guy have to do to tap into the master?:
Master Light Switch----->switch----->Aurora?

I'd hate to accidently bump my light switch and come out to dead batteries. I guess I would almost need a relay to use the master light switch. Any ideas?

Last edited:

DieselBob

Just my opinion, but if you want the security that you won't leave the lights on and kill the batteries you could tap a N.O. pressure switch in to the engine oil galley.

Battery--->circuit breaker--->pressure switch--->switch--->Aurora

When you shut down the engine the pressure switch opens and lights out. 2cents

hdmax

Use a toggle switch like the one for the heater, down for low beam, middle for off, and up for high beams. That is what I plan to do. As I will not be using those light for highway use until someone feels their brights are preferred, than I can show them what brights really are. HAHA!

When I was installing them I forgot they had 2 settings so I wired them like you would wire any other electrical object with 2 posts. One grounded one hot. I need to reroute power to the post I have grounded now to take advantage of the other power setting (don't know if I have them on high or low right now)

Does this light ground itself with the mounting stud?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just a couple quick notes, Spoon, I think you have the mounting washer upside down. Tac6, I had a set close to that spot mounted in the rear of my truck, ripped them off in 30 min of offroading. Hope this helps guys.