• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP problem with my new Deuce...need advice

acesneights1

Ok, # 6 was 200 psi. I pulled the valve cover and the valve adjusters came loose on cyls 5 and 6. The push rod came completely out on 4. Can anybody please post the link to which TM covers valve adj ? This thing may live...

acesneights1

You could buy a good take out motor at about the same price as a full gasket set.
Where ? Everything I have seen is 1200$+
I was looking at the bellhousing to tranny. Looks like some sort of adapter plate to mate the bellhousing to Tranny ? Is the tranny SAE ? Can I bolt a 5.9 6bt to this tranny ?

welldigger

Where ? Everything I have seen is 1200$+
I was looking at the bellhousing to tranny. Looks like some sort of adapter plate to mate the bellhousing to Tranny ? Is the tranny SAE ? Can I bolt a 5.9 6bt to this tranny ?
Yes but not with that bell housing. I think you need an sae #3 bellhousing. Along with the needed clutch parts.

acesneights1

You could buy a good take out motor at about the same price as a full gasket set.
I have been looking high and low..."IF" I can get away with 1 cyl and a gasket set, I'm looking at 400$ plus now the motor has new HG's etc.
I have to confirm all it needs is one jug and everything else is ok..

acesneights1

Ok, all tests indicate that #5 cyl is dead but all the others are fine. I also have a coolant leak where the intake meets the head ?? It seems the intake manifold has coolant running through it ? Are the intake manifold bolts wet ? You can see in the vid it's bubbling out but I am not burning any. I want to find a piston for it. I think I can save her. I'm gonna drop the pan and pull the head next and see what's up.

welldigger

Yes coolant flows through the intake to warm the air. This is for when the truck is operated in cold climates. I'm curious as to what you find when you dig in. Inspect everything for cracks!

acesneights1

Yes coolant flows through the intake to warm the air. This is for when the truck is operated in cold climates. I'm curious as to what you find when you dig in. Inspect everything for cracks!
I wonder what the thinking behind that is ? Cold air is what you want.

welldigger

I wonder what the thinking behind that is ? Cold air is what you want.
Not always with a diesel. When cylinder temperatures fall too low it causes incomplete combustion. Especially at idle where diesels tend to run too cold anyways.

It may be counter productive to intercooling but for what the military needed this truck for its genius.

Jeepsinker

That sounds really terrible. It needs to be fixed. Let us know what you find when you tear it down. You must have bent a rod or a valve or something. Maybe a bent pushrod, which is common on over revved engines.

rustystud

you are dreaming. all you will have is a used, abused, patched up engine. fix it right or put in another engine.
I agree with Tom here. When an engine goes through what yours has done it damages so many other things, that you will only see later down the road. Especially with a diesel, since they experience such extreme stress during NORMAL operation. I have messed with engines at work that we thought we could fix with just a single slug installed. After almost completely rebuilding the engine (after multiple component failures during road testing) we just removed the whole assembly and installed a new engine. At some point you just have to cut your losses .

acesneights1

I agree with Tom here. When an engine goes through what yours has done it damages so many other things, that you will only see later down the road. Especially with a diesel, since they experience such extreme stress during NORMAL operation. I have messed with engines at work that we thought we could fix with just a single slug installed. After almost completely rebuilding the engine (after multiple component failures during road testing) we just removed the whole assembly and installed a new engine. At some point you just have to cut your losses .
Believe me I am weighing it. It is a tough call. I have done it with Macks over the years with no issue but I have no real history on the motor other than I know it was overrevved and loaded with ether so yeah, it's on my mind that I could be chasing more issues later on the other hand I'm here in front of the motor and it is tight other than the bad cyl the motor is in very good condition. The compression on the the other 5 cyls is perfect and even. It's a tough choice but I will make my final decision after I pull the head and drop the pan and see exactly what failed.

Back to my question..can anyome tell me if the intake studs go into the water jacket ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks