• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Help

rivcrazy2000

I just read the entirety of this thread. I wish you luck on your endeavors. When I was your age my brother had a really sweet low mile '72 Riviera that people always drooled over but I didn't have a car. So I started searching fields when I turned 16 and eventually found a nice '66 Fury 3 coupe in a farmers field with a cow tied to it. I went to the house and asked why and he said he had just pulled it out of the garage a few months prior because it hadn't ran in 20 years and took up space for a '57 Hawk he had just acquired. My brother and I scraped the points, got some gas, oil, a battery, aired up the tires, bled the brakes, and drove off with it after paying the man $100. Stories like these do pry at my heart strings for certain. Keep up the enthusiasm, everyone is rooting for you. It is definitely a fun time finding your first car in a decrepit state and getting it to drive out of the spot it's been sitting for years, you'll never forget it.

Thank you for sharing that awesome story rivcrazy! It sounds like you had a lot of fun and I imagine a gigantic smile across your face as you drove your car off! I also congratulate you on reading the entirety of what is now a 19 page thread :shock:... I hope that everything falls together as I need it to and though this truck isn't going to drive out of its spot, it sure is going to be fun driving it away from its registration inspection :D (given that this happens of course)!

M715VFD405

Well I have to say I'm impressed to say the least, I too just read through this thread and it truly is amazing to see someone your age willing to even get there hands dirty much less willing to do hard work for something they may not be able to keep. Looks like it's been a couple weeks since your last post so I'll bite for an update? Most importantly how is the permission area going (meaning grandpa and the title). I'm gonna grab a seat for this ride I think it's gonna be a good one. :popcorn:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Howlin had some time off from school. I also wonder if he had time to get the engine running.

It's nice to see that there is continuing interest in this project! Sadly, I have not worked on the truck for various reasons and it will probably be a fair while until I get to again due to certain situations in life and my family (nothing to be concerned over! It's just that life's door for this project is closed right now and isn't going to be open for at least awhile). Sorry to cut your ride short M715 but it might be awhile! Happy late Thanksgiving guys (especially for my cousin's new kid!) and if I don't catch you for Christmas, have a great one!

(In answer to snow, I wish it was so! Washington ain't exactly the best place for it... ♪ Let it snow, Let it snow, let it snow!!! ♪ :p)

Edit: I know I'm not going to be working on this for awhile but my mind has to follow this tangeant. Would a complete combo like mentioned before BUT from a M1008 still be a direct drop in to a M1009? I can't remember (if I even ever knew) and I'm not forgetting about the wonderful aforementioned offer (especially since it is probably still the better deal) but I want to know my options. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

topgun217

Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day! Don't push your grandpa too much or you could end up going overboard. Subtle little reminders to him of your sincerity for this project might help, but don't be to annoying. I know its hard to have to wait for things you really want, however "good things come to those who wait" & "patients is a virtue". I waited close to 10 years before I purchased my first mv and I'm glad I did. Hang in there! There are an awful lot of members on here who are behind you on this. Good Luck and keep us updated when you can...[thumbzup]

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Murdock! I found your other thread about the tag on the 6.2L. How far you've gotten on your M1009? Give us an update! Don't let this thread wither away!! :)

Well, I haven't done much to it besides the obvious engine pull... I'll admit, after calming down and taking a better look, the truck ain't worth me going after it but since my Grandpa has the engine now, it's looking like it might become someone else's opportunity or likely just a solid parts vehicle. I have to say that besides the lack of certain drivetrain components and the half-bad electrical, the beast is pretty solid and looks sharp in its now bright blue (I pressure washed it so the paint is clean but kinda rough). Sadly, I don't have any pictures of it clean but here is one of it in between of forgotten and clean.
0409141857.jpg

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are wise beyond your years. You took a few steps back and you see the truck for what it is. :) Maybe you can find a M1009 in the Classifieds that needs a little love. You can keep the blue beast as a parts truck.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask grandpa if you can part it out, you have the good beginning of a truck fund here just takes time to sell everything off.

Thanks guys! I am in the vehicle market but I can't afford much. The "Blue Beast" as it is now seeming to be called will most likely be sold to help pay for some stuff for the 6.2, such as the possibility of a sweet Banks! It may not be going towards me (no good reason it should in a modest way) but it is my grandpa's and the project has been a lot of fun for me. Besides, I'll get to drive the end product helping him and who knows in future years...