• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Help

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
161 replies and viewed over 2900 times. Not many newbies have that kind of success.

I guess I am quite lucky to have received so much help and attention...

Well, on Monday, I got to work on the truck for a while with my Grandpa and the engine is checking out great so far! It does look like he will be using the engine for parts but thanks to a generous offer from a fellow SS member, that will not be a problem given I am allowed to continue fixing up this truck.

Heath_h49008

Some of us are just stalking to learn more about CUCVs.

By the way Murdock, if you can't save the 6.2 diesel engine because your grandfather needs it, there are a lot of smallblock gasoline Chevy 4x4s with destroyed bodies to salvage a low cost driveline from. That would get you on the road while you sourced everything required for a full restoration.

Glad to see a new member with his head on straight.

Thank you for your comment topgun.

For simplicity's sake, I intend to stay as stock as possible for now. Getting on the road and getting parts sourced is not a problem as I will not have my license until March and a fellow SS guy has offered me a wonderful deal for a complete engine to drive shaft combo with only minor work needed. Hopefully I am allowed to go through with this project and take up this fellow's generous offer. Thank you for your comment as well Heath.

topgun217

My m1009 started out as my "toy", when my son turned 16 it became "his toy"; actually its "our" toy though. He enjoys it way more than I do but that's alright. All his buddy's are envious of him for having such a cool truck to drive. You wont regret having yours when your up and running. This past weekend my son and I participated in a Veterans Day ceremony at a nearby VFW Post along with a bunch other MV'S. My son drove a deuce to and from and is now hooked on wanting a deuce as well as the m1009......Who says owning history isn't fun! Good luck in your efforts and keep us all updated.

It is awesome to hear about the experiences you have had with your son! It probably doesn't help the bank that the Deuce is what got me hooked on MV's in the first place and what I really want (no collection is complete without it!)!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Murdock,

Starting out with a M1009 is a great introduction to diesels, and auto mechanics in general. Buying a Deuce first is biting off more than you can chew if you don't have any experience working on 14,000 lb trucks with multi-fuel engines.

You are wise beyond your years. I am SO PROUD OF YOU! :) You are eager to learn, and patient enough to stand back to determine the next best course of action. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Matt Kahle

Keep focused your doing great. I can't wait until you get to the transmission I can possibly give you some tips. I put a transmission in my brother's "heep" (jeep) it's was quite hard your going to need a concrete floor to work on and two jacks and maybe a engine crane but, that will all come soon hopefully. Keep that great work up! I'm really impressed.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So where are we on getting this thing operational? Have you got the temp fuel lines hooked up? has it run any length of time?

If you get the parts transmission, do you have the tools and equipment to get it installed?.

Currently, everything is on hold for lack of time, word on whether the truck will even be titleable (don't want to waste any money if it can't go), and the final say from my Grandpa. We have not had a chance to hook up sufficient battery power to start the truck again. If I do get the transmission and such, I would be extremely surprised if my Grandpa did not have the proper tools. Unless it takes a specialized tool for just this model, my Grandpa will have it. He has everything I can think of that would be necessary and that has been mentioned so far.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well here is the deal. There are alot of things happening behind the scenes.

As soon as you find out if grandpa will let you have the truck, there are members that will donate $$$ to the purchase of the engine/transmission. Also they will help with any missing parts and bits and pieces.

So young Grasshopper, you need to get you rear in gear, see if the engine will run, talk your grandpa into letting you have it and you will be amazed how things will fall into place.

I find it hard to word an appropriate response to this so I shall go with what I can do. I will do as much as I can to work on the truck but I have been reduced to Saturday for work days due to the lack of sunlight and lack of transportation (among other things). The last major hurdle besides my Grandpa is to make sure that this truck will be titleable (we will be asking the state patrol as soon as possible, they have the final say on that) and insurable (which I already have an inquiry in about that with our family's agent and I am just waiting for a response). The only problem I can see otherwise is that I am quite sure that my Grandpa is getting his parts out of this engine but that should not be too big of a problem thanks to a fellow member's offer and this forum. I may be a broken record on this but thank all of you guys!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Murdock,

A couple questions: Is is possible for you to acquire the engine parts from another source? Why tear apart an engine that already fired up and is at least partly known good?

Last edited:
It is possible for me to get engine parts, actually an entire engine, thanks to the offer that I have been mentioning recently. The only reason at this point why the engine is getting taken from is because I have not yet been successful in convincing my Grandpa to wait on parts until I find out if I can go through or not with purchasing the aforementioned deal that would have plenty of good parts. I will continue to try convincing him but I need to call the state patrol first (I should be able to tonight).

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gather your grandfather is "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" kind of person. He has to see it to believe it. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Please use this thread as proof of the support you have. Also, I can guarantee that the price of the parts that truck needs costs A LOT less than a used car. I assume there were plans in work for you to buy or work towards your first vehicle.

Remember that saving a piece of military history is PRICELESS! :)

I will definitely use what I can to win my Grandpa over on this and I have already won my Mom over as far as I know with the cost compared to a cl car. Our 96 Accord that we have cost 4k alone and that was a good deal.