• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepsinker

That's just how it works man. If money is involved, it will make zero sense. And yes, swift drivers are known nationwide for being terrible. That is why they are called steering wheel holders, not drivers.

RAYZER

How can the police find fault if it is a no fault state. Shouldn't the insurance company figure who is at fault then.
No fault is a term that describes how the insurance companies handle the claim.
Don't mean someone won't be found at fault by leo's.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LEO's job is to identify the appearance of a law or ordinance being broken based on his or hers understanding of the circumstances. The courts find guilt or innocence. The insurance companies pay the bills. Sometimes based on the courts outcome (fault) and sometimes not.

RAYZER

That's just how it works man. If money is involved, it will make zero sense. And yes, swift drivers are known nationwide for being terrible. That is why they are called steering wheel holders, not drivers.
In my opinion: this may be true but, any rig traveling at 65' per second at night and Comming up on a vehicle that's hard to see in the first place at a dead stop right in said drivers path might suffer the same results or worse.
If said driver didn't apply his brakes it's probably because he didn't have time.
Maybe it's a good thing he didn't apply his brakes, if he had, it might have put him at a different impact point and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is taught in CDL schools in a situation like that you should swerve instead of braking when it's that close because your speed and reaction times and braking distance. ( At least 8 years ago when I went through school )

ke5eua

It was at night but area was lit from best western sign across the street, plus the lights on the truck.

Driver said he had been driving for 8 years.

Speed limit was 35 slowing down to 30, 51.333 to 44 feet per second.

A fully loaded tractor-trailer weighing 80,000 pounds traveling under ideal conditions at a speed of 40 miles per hour will take feet 169 to stop.

I can can say this is roughly true because after impact he applied brakes and his front tires came to a stop almost 200 feet ahead of me, putting roughly 130 feet between the rear of his refer and the now moved rear of the het. If driver didn't have enough time to stop it is because he wasn't paying attention to the road as there was no one in front of him or directly behind him.

When I argued the point of visibility at the time, failure to yield, and other factors involved the cop got annoyed with me as I was trying to do his job. I'm sorry, if you can't do it, a firefighter shouldn't have to do it for you. When I was talking to the investigator swift sent out we both we're saying the same thing, why didn't he attempt to stop before hand.

He he could have passed in the other lane no problem but he decided to make mince meat of the front end of this truck.

An experienced driver can stop 80k without risking jack knifing the trailer or the possibility of flipping given ideal conditions.

Conditions this his night were pretty ideal, but I don't know what was going on in the cab of the swift truck, I just know he walked out with a dazed look.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Yep, that is the famous Waldo area of Florida! Famous for being a major speed trap between city limit signs. The cops are not known for being, the best of the force, by any means; if they are, they leave quickly for better jobs. I have no qualms with LEO's 90% of the time, Waldo cops don't fit into the that realm as they are money making, ticket writers for the most part. Rant stopped before I get banned.

I live in the area & have to drive thru Waldo on a regular basis, so this is not made up info.

Your accident was a major unfortunate accident, but you & your wife were spared injury; thank the Lord, let the insurance companys & lawyers haggle this out. The undertaking such a long distance recovery, even with your skills & experiance, was amazing. You are a blessed person no doubt. Carry on!

ke5eua

So I planed on closing this thread out with a bang, and well my weekend is not going so good it seems.

I think I am going to stop driving all together.

100 miles from the house we got ran off the road and well I got to find out first hand how well built those wire barriers are in the medians.

If it makes anyone feel better I got ran off the road so the truck could avoid a semi in the shoulder on the other side.

So the tally so far is:

Semi 0
Het 1/2

Prius 0
Wire barrier 1

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404083565.137750.jpg

TMNT

Holy crap!! I think I would be camped out in a padded room by now. Did you break a mirror or something??

I'm very glad that you and wife are not injured. I sincerely hope you make it home safely and without further incident. Get comfortable on the back porch and start drinkin'!

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me get this straight you get your 5 ton stuck in the mud.. then you have the thing with the hett.. and now this?? wow I feel for ya bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.