• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My ex was a LEO that got hit at night while she was blocking a road with all her lights on, ALL OF THEM. Fortunately she was standing off to the side and watched it happen.

Go hug and kiss your wife and be thankful it ended as well as it did.

DRTDEVL

I was clued in to this by another couple of members. I just retired from 377th TC (HET) and could have possibly given a run-down of the truck based upon its bumper number before you had problems. I could have walked you through the exhaust issue (downpipe at the wrong angle coming out of the turbo, huh?) as well as everything else.

Yes, the 377 trucks had issues, but that is because they are the only HET company to service all of 1AD. When they deploy (every 12-18 months), their trucks are signed over to other truck companies that don't have the budget to maintain those expensive HETs. They always return in shambles, because, as they say, the show must go on! The other companies run the trucks into the ground without even the funding to perform the annual services.

A shame how the trip ended...

Carlo

Every time I bring a truck home from the surplus disposal points of northern Germany or central Holland I need days to get my stuff back together. Problems with police, traffic, finding hotels when I want, truck problems, my back problems, and etc. every time I say STOP, NO MORE but every time I win another truck I can't wait to start preparing for the recovery!

HETvet

as does 96 service all of fort hood (1CD, 1st army, III corp). They support NTC rotations, J-RTC rotations, civilian events (static displays for things like the PGA tour in San Antonio) and support the region for their missions (fort sill, fort wachuca; I know that's not spelled right). The trucks go to Civilian entities and don't even as much as get started while they deploy. They deploy every 6-12 months. Lets also not forget 2nd HET ether. Lets just be glad that no one was hurt and a little birdy told me this HET could still rise from the ashes!

DRTDEVL

as does 96 service all of fort hood (1CD, 1st army, III corp). They support NTC rotations, J-RTC rotations, civilian events (static displays for things like the PGA tour in San Antonio) and support the region for their missions (fort sill, fort wachuca; I know that's not spelled right). The trucks go to Civilian entities and don't even as much as get started while they deploy. They deploy every 6-12 months. Lets also not forget 2nd HET ether. Lets just be glad that no one was hurt and a little birdy told me this HET could still rise from the ashes!

Yes, 96th deploys, but as you said, the civilians take over their rigs and maintain them while 96th is gone. When 377th leaves, the entire 1AD still needs to be hauled around for all their exercises (especially 2-1, the Future Systems Test Brigade), and the trucks continue working with less-experienced operators, mechanics and next to no funding. It used to be 47th Medium Truck and 68th Composite Truck, but 68th deactivated in 2012, so its actually worse now. During the time 377th just spent in Afghanistan, the 47th was chillin' in Kuwait. The show must go on! The rear-D was able to operate 6 systems, and the BSBs each signed for several HETs in order to try to haul as much of their crap as they could.

Brand new 1070A1s in the toilet during their first year of fielding. 1AD needs to get their crap straight and get the 1070s they are allotted by MTOE; quit relying on the CSSB so much!

HETvet

Yes the civilians sign for them, but they just sit and receive no maintnance, much less even being started. We also have to continue to support the mission. So rear D operates 8-12 systems. Our A1s had issues at first. But they are working hard now.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hold on there Tex (DRTDEVL). How about typing out what an acronym is before using it please. Pretend you are explaining the alphabet soup to Sailors. :)

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.

DRTDEVL

CSSB = Combat Sustainment Support Battalion, part of the Sustainment Brigade attached to a Division.

MTOE = Modification table of Organization and Equipment. The list of authorized personnel and equipment strength in a unit.

I hope you didn't mean 1AD; the 1st Armored Division, America's Tank Division. No HETs work as hard as the 15th SB/142D CSSB HETs at Bliss, trying to keep 4 armored brigades moving throughout the training areas in TX, NM and AZ.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

HETvet

I beg to differ. We cover fort hood (1CD, first army, 4 1st Fires brigade, 3rd CR) along with civilian entities, and get tasked out to support NTC rotations and J-RTC rotations. We haul M1A1 to and from ft. Erwin, Move 4 1st guns to and from sill, exc. We literally support every organization on ft hood. Hence the reason Oshkosh took a majority of us to their facility to preview/test the M1070A1 and M1000A1.

DRTDEVL

Yet they still can find the ability to mothball the HETs when you deploy.

Think about it. Bliss can't. The HETs get used/abused by scabs from other units while 377 is away.

Somehow certain things can't stop there... Its a bit busy being the supporting unit for Ft Bliss, Biggs AAF, White Sands Missile Range and Test Centers, Holloman AFB, USBP (they even train with a Stryker Brigade out at their Playas, NM Training Complex near the AZ border) and even supporting the USMC at Yuma Proving Grounds.

Why wasn't 377th invited? Because we were deployed during the preview/test period.

I forgot to add: We did it with less than 160 personnel to run those 96 HETs. Even the mechanics went out on missions as HET operators.

Last edited:

HETvet

I'm going to drop this. I'll agree to disagree. Having personally worked with other HET units; both active and reserve, I'll stand by my position going off of my personal experiences. It's also saying something when numerous soldiers come from 377 and spend time in 2nd HET, landing in 96th and it's the same thing, 377 is the worst in maintnance, training, and experience out of the rest. It was the same feelings when you guys were in Germany. So it can't be a chain of command issue.

When I am being told that an M1000 will only swing 4 feet while turning, and I'm being told that were "making our drivers look bad" while in Afghanistan 2013, it's hard to not have this conclusion. When the master driver has us inspect their loads and is calling them "examples of proper chaining procdures" and it's not even close to secure/tied down, I'm going to have the thought and opinions I do. I could keep going, but as I said before, I'll agree to disagree and we can leave it at that

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks