• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 RV Conversion

lost in the bush

Rhino liner - Pick your color and head for Ziebart. Or Commercial building roofing rubber. ALso the product they use on RV's and School Bus, not sure of the name.

Finely a really nasty looking thick coat of silicone where it leaks.

Clay James

Very nice! But we need more pics...
More coming soon!

Great build! We did the same 2" foam insulation on our M109A2 box and I have to ask how your lines look so clean - I used an old butcher knife to cut mine and it looked horrible! We had to use spray foam (AKA the most evil substance known to man!) to fill in all the gaps. What a horrible jig saw puzzle that was! What kind of pre painting prep did you do? Did you have to sand the walls or just wash them down? What kind of paint and supplies did you use? Primer? Brush or roller? Sorry for all the questions - I want to get the interior of our box painted ASAP.
I used a butcher knife, box cutter and straight edge. Mark the line with the straight edge, then also use it as a guide for running the knife. I cut along the line most of the way through with the butcher knife, that should be enough to break it at the seam, then cut the foil on the back with the box cutter. If you try cutting all the way though with the butcher knife it looks like crap because it makes the foil on the other side all ragged.

I sanded all the panels when I had them out. I used large and small rollers and a paint brush. If I were to do it again I think I would just spray it on. The paint brush doesn't come out that great on smooth metal. I still need to do some touch up painting in some of the corners.

Well ill add another question. Has anyone found a good product to put on top of the box to seal out water? I thought of using the same 3m undercoating i used inside my other truck. That stuff is amazing but im not sure how it will stand up to uv and constant exposure to the elements.
I'm thinking about going with this stuff or something similar http://www.snowroof.com/ It's white too so that should cut down on some of the heat. That roof gets so hot from the sun in the summer. Any kind of black sealer is out of the question.

Last edited:

M109 1st Lady

We prepped and painted the roof with white Herculiner truck bed liner. I put about 4 coats on to ensure a tough and water tight seal on the entire roof. We used the white to try and keep the box cooler and you can't see the white from the ground although the billowing black smoke from the stack does cause it to get pretty dirty on the passenger side. The Herculiner also comes in black, grey and red. We have plans to use black Herculiner on the ladder, running boards, and on the tops of the bumper and fenders (anywhere we step on a lot). Hope this helps!

lawdog1623

i know they make a uv treated liner. Im not sure which product to use at this point. I dont want to have to do it a second time.

lawdog1623

i really really really like the sound of this snowroof stuff. Lucky me, It appears that the only retailer anywhere near me is only 7 miles up the road. Ill be looking into this and ill let you guys know

Clay James

We prepped and painted the roof with white Herculiner truck bed liner. I put about 4 coats on to ensure a tough and water tight seal on the entire roof. We used the white to try and keep the box cooler and you can't see the white from the ground although the billowing black smoke from the stack does cause it to get pretty dirty on the passenger side. The Herculiner also comes in black, grey and red. We have plans to use black Herculiner on the ladder, running boards, and on the tops of the bumper and fenders (anywhere we step on a lot). Hope this helps!
That sounds like a good thing too. I go up on the roof of the box a lot and a bed liner might be more durable.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only other thing is this...before all that I really wanna make this a giant Faraday cage and SCIF the walls...floor...and ceiling. Any advice?...anyone?
To make a Faraday Cage, you must be able to separate with insulators the inner wall from the outer wall, or build another wall on all six sides inside your inner wall (and not have anything including wires and pipes penetrating from outside). Electrically conductive anything defeats the concept of a Faraday Cage, which is meant as electrically isolated. It's far easier to build a cage to put electronics into and lock them away than it is to build your whole shelter electrically isolated.

Clay James

Thanks. Good to see another CA 109 owner.

I'll post some more progress soon. Isn't as easy now because I can't edit my old posts and have to get a mod to move them up.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like some very nice wood work. We definitely need to see more pictures. :)

Clay James

Thanks! The extent of my woodworking experience before this was building a clock in high school and cutting the plywood for the sub-floor. First time doing veneer too. Next is the overhead cabinets on the right side. More pics after I get things more completed.

Clay James

Just a new alternator, inverter, backup camera and finally made up some brackets to mount the aluminum ladder to the rear of the box. Other vehicle projects have been eating up all my time and money :) I'm planning on doing a bunch to the inside of the box during the winter. Planning on rearranging it to add a bathroom too.

Last edited:

peashooter

Just a new alternator, inverter, backup camera and finally made up some brackets to mount the aluminum ladder to the rear of the box.
I'd be interested in seeing pics of this stuff when you get time. I'm thinking an inverter might be in my future so any ideas would be appreciated. Was your alternator just an exact replacement or an upgrade of some kind?

zout

You do realize the more you put on SS in writing in full view of everyone - there are folks out there reading this as well that you might NOT want to see what you have and stuff in your truck !!!! just saying.

No doubt you have some awesome work going on there - but there is some stuff posted that there is NWH I would ever state what - where I have it in my truck or how it was done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks