• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803 Filters and Parts

Bmxenbrett

Na i think only one isnt used. 3 gaskets are needed. Nut to bowl, bowl to housing and filter to housing.

Mabe this is why people have them leak alot.

csheath

I am late reading through this but wanted to offer a big thanks for all the info and thought I would offer my opinion on a couple of topics it touched on.

First: Repairing radiators should only be done if a new replacement is not available. Re-coring seems to work okay but patching a cracked tank should NEVER be considered. Once metal or plastic fatigue has occurred it never stops creating new cracks. We lost a large whole building generator at work one time because the techs had a cracked radiator tank patched. It cracked a few inches from the repair and the overheat protection failed. Years of research was lost.

Second: This is a low pressure fuel system. Regular Gates fuel hose should be fine to use anywhere on it you can adapt it to. Big plus is it's available at many of the local auto parts stores. I prefer to use fuel injection type band clamps rather than typical screw clamps that dig into the hose.

smokem joe

The Fram c11941 comes with all 4 gaskets. Usualy costs about $9.50.
How much do the other 3 gaskets cost?
I think the gasket pack from Rock Auto was like $1.75 or so. I haven't cared for Fram filters personally ever since their oil filters were killing engines. Many years ago that was all I used.

smokem joe

I have had several that had bad bolt to bowl gasket bad. I think the JP8 must eat them up. I've opened a couple that only had the bolt to bowl seal on the bottom and not one inside at all.

Persh

MEP-802A ONAN DN2M 2-cylinder engine (Lister-Petter LPW2)
MEP-803A ONAN DN4M 4-cylinder engine (Lister-Petter LPW4)

MEP-802A Filters List, MEP-803A Filters List

Oil Filter Spin-On (FILTER ELEMENT,FLUID NSN#2940-01-154-5127 )

Prefer WIX 51374, Napa 1374, works also(WIX 51348, NAPA 1348 ), FLEETGUARD LF3335, BALDWIN BT223, DONALDSON P550335, FRAM PH3614, PUROLATOR L10241, CHAMP PH2835

Fuel Filter cartridge (FILTER ELEMENT,FLUID, CARTRIDGE NSN#2910-00-099-5467 )

WIX 33348, NAPA 3348, FLEETGUARD FF4012, BALDWIN PF-847, DONALDSON P13, FRAM C11941, PUROLATOR F53121

Fuel Filter, Spin-On Fuel/Water Separator Filter (FILTER,FLUID NSN# 2910-01-376-5666 )
True Military filter with drain connector 85285-F

Alternate replacements, with bottom drain, but, factory drain with hose does NOT connect WIX 33472, NAPA 3472, FLEETGUARD FS1251, BALDWIN BF1226, DONALDSON P550248, FRAM P8043, PUROLATOR F64424

Air Filter (FILTER ELEMENT,INTAKE AIR CLEANER NSN#2940-00-934-7989 )

WIX 42276, NAPA 2276, FLEETGUARD AF435KM, BALDWIN PA1690FN, DONALDSON P181050, FRAM CAK256

There are many other filters out there. The best is a quality filter for a good price.

Oil Type
15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil
Same thing here, whatever oil you want to use.

Coolant
Heavy Duty Diesel Type

MEP-8xx serpentine belt
Goodyear 4040355 Gatorback Serpentine Belt, Gates Micro-V AT K040355

MEP-8xx Fuel Tank Drain
Fuel Tank Well Nut A3816

MEP-802A 5kw generator
The military is currently using Optima Yelloptop 51R batteries x 2 in series for the 24 volt system
MEP-803A 10kw generator
The military is currently using Optima Redtop 34/78 batteries x 2 in series for the 24 volt system
I replaced the water separator/fuel filter on my MEP 803a today. It was a BEAR to get off there. After trying a number of methods and breaking my neighbors filter wrench, I finally got the mangled OEM filter out of there. Jeesh! I have 2 questions for you:

1) The Napa 3472 filter comes with a gasket that is supposed to go on the filter nipple. Is that necessary? It seemed like a tight fit around the threads. It doesn't appear to be leaking, but I'm not sure it really matters. Any advice on that?

2) As noted, the factory drain with hose does not fit the Napa 3472 filter. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket drain valve that will screw into the drain on a Napa 3472 filter? I can still drain/bleed the system if needed, but having that hose is really convenient.

Thanks in advance for all the help! I appreciate it.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the water separator/fuel filter on my MEP 803a today. It was a BEAR to get off there. After trying a number of methods and breaking my neighbors filter wrench, I finally got the mangled OEM filter out of there. Jeesh! I have 2 questions for you:

1) The Napa 3472 filter comes with a gasket that is supposed to go on the filter nipple. Is that necessary? It seemed like a tight fit around the threads. It doesn't appear to be leaking, but I'm not sure it really matters. Any advice on that?

2) As noted, the factory drain with hose does not fit the Napa 3472 filter. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket drain valve that will screw into the drain on a Napa 3472 filter? I can still drain/bleed the system if needed, but having that hose is really convenient.

Thanks in advance for all the help! I appreciate it.
Howdy,
You are looking at a very old version here.
anyway,
Yes, the military seems like they put the water/fuel filter on dry and super tight.
MEP-8xx Fuel/Water spin-on filter

NO, as stated, the military drain only fits 85285-F filter. Which can also be found on ebay too.

NAPA 3472 filter and some gasket? I don't know what gasket you are talking about here. The filter is a standard can spin-on filter.
Please make a new thread.

Let this old thread version passaway.

The complete updated MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts is a sticky, at the top of the Generator forum and the 2nd post has quick links to all the things of interest. Such as the water/fuel filter issues.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks