• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More fuel pump woes.

Skinny

OK, that is over the line!!!!!!

On a more serious note, I have an FM100 primary and secondary setup that I need to post up an install thread soon. My primary has a manual primer knob which makes bleeding a piece of cake. Not a bad $30 investment so I get ease of priming and mechanical reliability.

I do like Patracy's dual electric pump setup though.

ryan77

I like the set up my duramax has with the primer pump and bleeder! Changing filters is easy!!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like the set up my duramax has with the primer pump and bleeder! Changing filters is easy!!
Once primed, a CP3 pump can sustain itself. But the roosamaster pump really needs a lift pump to function. Timing is also controlled by the internal case pressure of the fuel.

Vhyle

I just ordered a pushrod. Forget making it. It's too cheap and easy to obtain to make one.

And LOL @ that joke. Very good placement! Made me laugh.

Vhyle

Another question - so after sitting on this for a while, I can say that it was probably installation error that broke the rod. Too much side pressure from the arm of the pump. The rod probably slowly made its way down while it was sitting in there with the grease.

With that said, chances are I could use this new pump? It's not the stiffness that broke the rod. If so, I'm just gonna use the new one and exercise a bit more caution on the installation.

hodgeb

I had the exact same thing happen to me just as I installed a lift pump. Mech pump push rod killed itself at the most opportune time (literally).

ssdvc

So the lesson here may be to purchase a pushrod at the same time one buys a pump. Better to have your bases covered, yes?

is it even possible to install the new pump after the rod slides down? i am trying to figure out why mine is not bleeding right now. I just installed an new Delco pump and now it is not starting or bleeding. It ran perfectly When moving from driveway into the garage to do the work. Always starts up first crank. I only replaced it because it was leaking. Now what? I really don't want to take it back off to check if i broke my rod too. My hands do not fit. I don't know how i did it in the first place.

cucvrus

That fuel system is full of air at this point. You are going to have to bleed the air from the entire fuel system from the pump front. I don't think the rod is down if you put the pump in. I always take the small 2 bolt cover plate off and grease the rod and stuff it up into the engine. It stay there and out of the way. Anyway unplug the red wire at the injection pump and pull the fuse for the glow plug controller. That way you are not cycling them through this procedure. Open the top vent screw on the fuel filter. Have a helper crank the engine and watch the vent screw till pure fuel comes out and close it. Now plug the injection pump back in and get a 3/4" / 19mm wrench and open the 4 nuts on the delivery nozzles on the drivers side. They are the easiest to get to. Have the helper crank till you see wet fuel come from them. Crank them shut tight. Now put your fuse back in for the glow plugs and attempt to start normally. it may take a few tries till get it going but it should start and run rough a little and keep it going. Don't over rev it cold but keep it going till it purges the air out of the system. The leak in the pump is normal when the fail. Congratulations you changed a fuel pump that is in plain sight but hard to get to. My wife changed mine for me because she said she could. She was tired of hearing me cussing at it. Good Luck with your project. Happy Thanksgiving.