• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1990 GMC Suburban CUCV clone AKA: M1007 or M1029

K9Vic

Dash painted black and installed one of those plastic dash covers that I got on cyber Monday for $80 shipped. Turned out OK, but I would still rather have a real vinyl full replacement, but did not want to spend $300 + for one. Now the whole interior is black and no more white to be seen. While I had the dash apart I figured out what this chirping noise was when the climate system was on. I found that the bend door was disconnected and out of place. Put that back together and no more chirping noise. That was really annoying if anyone knows what I am talking about.

I also installed the rear headliner but I messed up on cutting it down on one side as it was from one with no rear A/C. I should be able to fix it and make it look OK, but still not happy about that screw up. After all this work that is really the only mess up, but one that is going to be easy to see, on well.

Finally I installed some new speakers front and rear to give it a better sounding music. There were some 5x7 Ford speakers in the rear installed by the city, so I just replaced the same size even though it should be 4X10 as the 5x7 sound better.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the headliner? I have a couple of burbs that need new headliners.

K9Vic

Where did you get the headliner? I have a couple of burbs that need new headliners.
It is a used one from the parts truck I noted in a past post where I got the rest of the interior from. That is why I was not so upset when I messed up the cut as it was used and did not pay allot for it. Finding a good headliner used can be tough, generally they are already stripped out when you get to teh junk yard or they are trash.

If I see any good ones I will let you know, what colour should I look for?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any color will work. The Pull-A-Part here in town (last yard that will let you walk yourself) ocacionally have older squarbody burbs. Most of the headliners are trashed. The other yards crush all the old stuff.

K9Vic

Any color will work. The Pull-A-Part here in town (last yard that will let you walk yourself) ocacionally have older squarbody burbs. Most of the headliners are trashed. The other yards crush all the old stuff.
I will see what I can find, the last pick and pull the interior was not in great condition, but few yards around here will junk a box body GM that has not been completely stripped.

If you mind me asking what did the floor coating set you back. Looks very good bye the way.
I do not mind, but keep in mind this is a very labor intensive task as everything inside has to be covered to protect it. I pay $450 for a M1009 and the Suburban was $550 as it has more area to cover taking more time to prep. My Bullet Liner guy takes great care and there is no over spray and looks perfect with no uneven areas. He is in Hurst, but if you want a quality job from a liner shop that knows what they are doing I recommend them. If you want more details send me a PM.

-----

Side note
Public reception of my CUCV clones seems to be positive as I am out and about always getting those head turns and allot of thumbs up at stop lights and stores. The most interesting was from a young woman at a Pizza place that asked about and and how cool it looked. Makes me feel good that my money and time was well spent where people seem to really like it. I kind of regret not finding the 4x4 to do this project, but when I do I will better know how to build it. But it truly is hard to find a Suburban base fleet 6.2L 2500 4X4 (No power windows) for under $3000 that is not rusted, beat up with 300k miles.

Oh, and we received light dusting of snow this morning, so here are a few pics.

Attachments

Danger Ranger

I really love the work you do on all your vehicles. They all look great. Thanks for the buildup.

Also, where do you get your lightbars? Those things are so darn expensive, yet I want one for my Cherokee, yes my Jeep Cherokee...

K9Vic

why not put 4x4 running gear under it?
It is allot of work to do that, I have looked into it and I just do not have the shop for that type of project. I will just keeps it as is and continue my search for a cheap base 6.2L 3/4 4WD Suburban and build another one. The the lowest price on the perfect Suburban base 4X4 I found over the years was about $3000 and I put that much into this build in addition to the cost of the truck.

I really love the work you do on all your vehicles. They all look great. Thanks for the buildup.

Also, where do you get your lightbars? Those things are so darn expensive, yet I want one for my Cherokee, yes my Jeep Cherokee...
Thank you, with doing all this in my driveway and not a garage they turn out well from the feedback I get. It may take me several months to work on them, but I enjoy every minute of it. I am on the hunt again for a M1009 to build up, but it has to be the right one for the right price. The last M1009 took me about 5 months to get it done, but the this clone was about 3 months as I had more time to work on it.

My Federal Signal Aerodynic lightbars are from years of watching Craigslist and eBay for deals and are all over 20 years old. The one on my Suburban I got in 2008 in Milwaukee on vacation for $200 and is a rare first generation synchronized 10 rotator mode 25. I have about 10 Aerodynic bars in my collection and all are some different version of the original synchronized gear rotator models.

Danger Ranger

Holy cow! Makes me feel ignorant, I just want a cheap lightbar for my Jeep, as long as it is not LED and is simple. Simple control, simple design, simple look. SOmething solid amber with a rotating motion would be awesome.

Yours fit the bill, but now I have been enlightened (thanks, I think...) and this may make it harder for me...
I have a Code3 6792L4 siren system with a Dynamax MS100 speaker that may or may not work (haven't finished testing/hook-up yet). A lightbar would balance out my roofline profile and be awesome, plus it would or should, hook right in to the Code3 box.

Thanks again for the info.

joho

Nice job, I did the same thing with my 1986 sub. but I left it white and went with a rescue theme. I know what you mean about the rear bumper, I had to put a Blazer bumper on it instead. I think I have a few pics in my profile.

PETE BALLARD

there is a future ahead of you in the recon business - look out Earl Shibe or Maco

Very cool paint job!!!!!!!!!! How do you get away with your drying area over the door? My wife would do something bad to me for that

K9Vic

there is a future ahead of you in the recon business - look out Earl Shibe or Maco

Very cool paint job!!!!!!!!!! How do you get away with your drying area over the door? My wife would do something bad to me for that

Thanks, for a cheap paint job it has been holding up well.

Not sure what you mean about the drying over the door. Anything black is spay paint and the rain gutters were removed and painted. All the door jams I painted black as it was easier & faster over trying to use the house paint, plus it looks better IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks