• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce is broken and I need help getting it back together

sp00n

This, folks, is why I always say it isn't responsible to operate a truck straight from GL until a full, by the book annual service has been done.

Imagine if this had been on the highway....

Got it private sale from a man who buys them from GL and services them before selling. It was on the highway at about 50mph when I discovered things were going south with the front axle and brakes. The truck is well maintained, failures happen.

Try this,

Thank you.

KsM715

He ain't out of the woods yet, dry bearings like that may have spun the race on the spindle("welding it on").
I know all about that. When I was 17 I spent two days after work in a convience store parking lot replacing a front spindle on my '72 CJ when one of my wheel bearings gave up the ghost after a weekend of deepwater 4wheeling and neglected to check things afterwards. The first 5 hours was spent trying to remove the bearing race that I was just sure was supposed to just slide off.

This, folks, is why I always say it isn't responsible to operate a truck straight from GL until a full, by the book annual service has been done.

Imagine if this had been on the highway....
Very lucky indeed. That wheel coming off at 45mph in traffic...............

KsM715

He ain't out of the woods yet, dry bearings like that may have spun the race on the spindle("welding it on").

I take it you have done no maintenance or checks of your truck. Time to do all the wheels and brakes.
Got it private sale from a man who buys them from GL and services them before selling. It was on the highway at about 50mph when I discovered things were going south with the front axle and brakes. The truck is well maintained, failures happen.

How long have you owned it?

Thats a piss poor attitude when your driving on the public roads with my wife and kids. I was willing to give you the benifit of doubt. But you just lost all respect from me with that statement.

Chief_919

Sorry, but those pictures clearly show a wheel bearing that was not well maintained.

combat32

How long have you owned it?

Thats a piss poor attitude when your driving on the public roads with my wife and kids. I was willing to give you the benifit of doubt. But you just lost all respect from me with that statement.

Lets not get too preachy around here, it could have just been bearing failure not lack of maint.No need to cast doubt on the mans integrity.

KsM715

I take it you have done no maintenance or checks of your truck. Time to do all the wheels and brakes.
Lets not get too preachy around here, it could have just been bearing failure not lack of maint.No need to cast doubt on the mans integrity.

Post 10, pic 1. That thing is clearly full of mud (or was). Those bearings are dry and have been for a while. If it heated up and melted the grease out he should have seen it well before this. This failure did not "just happen"

I'm asking how long he has owned it because of this, Did spoon take it offroad and then neglect to inspect it afterwards? That neglect can kill someone. Or did he just buy it on the words of the seller that it was "well maintained"? If that were my truck and that happened within a few days of buying it I would be over to sellers house pronto. (and pretty pissed off)

combat32

I always thought this site was about educating folks, not insulting them.All that you say above may be true but there is no need accuse and insult the man.

I expect this kind of thing on Jaguar and Corvette collector sites, just not here.Lets try to not become MV Snobs, I think it goes against the intent of the site.Lets educate the guy not run him off with a harsh scolding.

sp00n

Post 10, pic 1. That thing is clearly full of mud (or was). Those bearings are dry and have been for a while. If it heated up and melted the grease out he should have seen it well before this. This failure did not "just happen"

I'm asking how long he has owned it because of this, Did spoon take it offroad and then neglect to inspect it afterwards? That neglect can kill someone. Or did he just buy it on the words of the seller that it was "well maintained"? If that were my truck and that happened within a few days of buying it I would be over to sellers house pronto. (and pretty pissed off)

Its full of baked grease from it riding on the brake shoe for a few hundred feet. There is some dust and dirt mixed in there I'm sure. I have owned it since February and do know that when I took possession of the truck the bearings, brakes and seals were inspected and serviced as needed. All of ~1,000 miles I've put on it did not expect to require a wheelbearing change out. I have not been cruising around river beds or deep water fording. No leaks or drips, couldn't hear any noise it may have been making over the exhaust and tires howling. It could have done a lot of things and you could die tomorrow on your way to work/school/routine. I stay ontop of maintenance as much as possible with the truck. You can take your high horse somewhere else.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, now that that's all settled. Back to fixing it!

fwiw, if it was recently greased, it could have been too tight(heat may or may not have been noticeable). Or, it could have had rust spots on the races from sitting a long time(common). or a few other possibilities.

The fact that you were lucky, is great! I recall a similar failure on a car I had way back. I still can see the front tire bouncing off into a front lawn(damaged nothing thank God). I prided myself back then, as a good mechanic that was in tune with my car. Things do happen and take you by surprise.

combat32

I found out the hard way once how far a Humvee would go without oil in the front hub! I came to a screeching halt from 60mph, sounds like you did all the right things to get her off the road safe.I am sure after you get that mess off you can clean up the spindle and get it put back right.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worst case, the spindle is replaceable.

By the comment earlier about busting off a race, it sounds like you know what to do next.

The Tms are great for direction and info. I personally do the bearing preload my own way(not the TM way).

Chucks Trucks is one aftermarket source for new spindle nuts and locking tab. Bearings too.

Chief_919

Its full of baked grease from it riding on the brake shoe for a few hundred feet. There is some dust and dirt mixed in there I'm sure. I have owned it since February and do know that when I took possession of the truck the bearings, brakes and seals were inspected and serviced as needed. All of ~1,000 miles I've put on it did not expect to require a wheelbearing change out. I have not been cruising around river beds or deep water fording. No leaks or drips, couldn't hear any noise it may have been making over the exhaust and tires howling. It could have done a lot of things and you could die tomorrow on your way to work/school/routine. I stay ontop of maintenance as much as possible with the truck. You can take your high horse somewhere else.
Sorry, but if the guy who sold it to you told you that he serviced those bearings 1000 miles ago, never buy anything else from him again.

That bearing died from lack of lubrication. It is very clear from the lack of any grease anywhere in that hub. A few hundred feet riding on the drums won’t do that or build that kind of heat. Not even close. That was a long period of low/no lube.

Had this been a sudden failure of the outer bearing due to a defect, the hub will still have plenty of good, fresh grease showing. That inner bearing would still be packed with grease. No, this bearing died due to being cooked by a lack of lube.

There is no doubt that this bearing failure didn’t “just happen”. It happened due to a lack of lubrication. Lack of lubrication is preventable with preventive maintenance.

There are several possible causes.
-Plain old neglect- nobody servicing it.
-Improper serving- bearing not properly serviced when it was done or wrong grease used.
-Wheel seal failure, allowing grease to be lost. That much loss would be noticeable on a pre-operation walk around.
-Use in water over the hubs, and not servicing them afterwords.

This is not about being on a “high horse” or bashing anyone. It is about learning from incidents so we can prevent them in the future.

KsM715

Thank you chief. My whole rant/loss of respect is simple. Spoon comes across as if....... "failures happen, so what, its not my fault your wife and 7 year old daughter were killed by my neglect"

I'm sorry guys, I can not let that go. High horse or not I dont care. The proper thing to do is acknowledge the mistake and say (and mean) "I will learn from this and try my best to to better next time" not "Oh well, failures happen":soapbox::rant:

I'm done with this one.
Spoon you have the info and know what needs to be done. Get it fixed

Last edited:

ARYankee

Wow!!! :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

aua

I'm glad you got it home. You won't hear any preaching or finger pointing from me since you are looking for help in repairing it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks