• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need alittle help concerning Gensets

Carl_in_NH

For me, the generator is a power backup – priceless when needed; I’d not be running waste oils through it unless there was no other source of fuel that I could obtain for it in a true emergency.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For me, the generator is a power backup – priceless when needed; I’d not be running waste oils through it unless there was no other source of fuel that I could obtain for it in a true emergency.

Agreed!

These are just normal diesels, not multifuels like the deuce. If you would run WMO/WVO through your pick-up truck diesel, then feel free to run it in the generator. But I wouldn't do it, for just the reasons that Carl mentioned

William F

24V Battery in the MEP-701A

Hello Isaac-1 -

You mention a replacement battery for the MEP-701a in this thread - where did you find it, or did you put two motorcycle batteries together? My batteries were still in the units (MJQ-33) when I picked it up, I got a charger/desulphator for the 24V batts, and they recovered and start the unit, but won't do long term - they're too far gone and discharge in a couple weeks. If you have the P/N of the 24V replacement battery, I'd love to know what it is. Here in Oregon, batteries Plus (the store that says they have every battery for every need) say they have never heard of such a thing (24V flooded lead acid). At any rate, I'd love to get the OEM part for this machine, it is a fantastic machine.

I can't wait to bring it in and show them. ;)

Cheers,

Bill

PS: Editing this message after seeing it posted in the wrong segment - sorry about that.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

The battery you want is a 24V 4HN (be careful as I have also seen a 12V 4HN advertised). I bought mine dry old stock off ebay (I think I paid a bit over $100 with shipping, heavy little thing) then when I went to the local battery dealer to have it filled and I found out they had a pallet full of old stock ones in the back room that had been ordered in for a contractor at the local military base years ago. You never know it sometimes pays to check around. I posted a message about it on here a while back with their contact info, and I think all there old stock is long gone now.

Ike

ps take a look here, note the photo is not the 4HN
www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0226.pdf

Last edited:

William F

Thanks Ike,

I very much appreciate your help, and no, that link certainly doesn't show the battery out of my MEP 701A. And even though it appears in GOOG as a 24V, it isn't (6 caps) I got a pair of these:

Store Locator | NAPA Online

lengthwise, they will fit crossways into the old tray: (10.5" X 5.25" wide) - with a little rigging tonight, I will see if these will do the trick. Surely, these wouldn't meet MIL STDs but, they certainly should do the trick. And for under 60$ for two - worth it! There was a nothe one that was longer/thinner/taller/sealed AGM and more CCA, but 79$ apiece.

I will look around and see if I can't find the old 4HN somewhere.

Cheers,

Bill

randini

Ok, so I have read this thread and I am now convinced I need a gov surplus Diesel generator (Thanks Guys!!). When do I find one? I would like to buy one that is running, since I have never had one before. Who sells such generators? Anyone here?
Thanks

William F

Randini,

I will be selling one of mine. I got an MJQ 33 gen set, and I only need one, and will be converting the trailer into a camp trailer. SO, if you are anywhere near Oregon, I will sell you mine. It runs, it has no problems, I had to dump the fuel that was in it, and clean it, get new batteries but it is a sweet machine. Both are actually. 177 hrs on one ( I put 2 of those on myself) and 500 on the other. They were used for training purposes I think.

Cheers,

Bill

Isaac-1

I just ran across this site last night Battle Grade Electric | Surplus Military Diesel Generators | Serving New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont I don't know anything about them and their prices are much higher than buying from GL in your case shipping price would also likely be a killer, but of course GL is a dice roll. There is a guy outside of Houston, TX that has been mentioned on here lately selling MEP-002's and MEP-003's for what appear to be fair prices, I don't have his contact info though, and of course there are ones that sell on ebay all over the place both in terms of location and prices.

Ike

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
William, the Deka 4HN is the correct battery.

It is available from any Batteries Plus store in the Portland area. They will have to order it and it takes several days. They list for around $150 and if you have an account the price will be $135.**

You will have no trouble selling your spare genny for about what you paid for the whole works. What? Around $8-900?

Isaac-1

I Think the MJQ-33 is the code for the full assembly with the trailer 2 generators and any accessories, the individual generator is a MEP-701a.

Ike

p.s. about the 2-71's mentioned above (these are perhaps the only generators built tougher than the military units, that is probably only because weight was no object and they had to run unattended for days at a time), those are mostly railroad refrigeration car pull outs that have been rebuilt, there is another seller in your part of the country that sells used ones for much cheaper. There is a lot of information available over on the smokstak board in the generator section. If your interested in going that route check out affordablepower.com

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a 20 year old, contract-maintained, 40KW Mankato enclosed set with 125 hours on it where a company was moving, ditching the mainframe and going to PC-size servers, and was not going to take the set. $4000 including the Zenith transfer switch. A steal. A tilt-bed got it home for me. I rewired it in the zigzag configuration for single phase, set the V to 240, and it makes 30KW that way. Overkill as the house and lab together consume only 12KW full load, but better than running a 20KW and beating it to death every time a compressor starts.

CapKrk

Texans - Deka in Carrolton (Dallas) has them for $160 each :???:. If you gotta have one call Robert or Shane at (972) 616-0682

They might ship out of state...I don't know.

jdupont

Hi Isaac,
do you mind telling what kind of mix of fluids you used to free up the seized engine ? I have 4 or 5 in that condition now.
Thanks Joe

Isaac-1

I used a 50/50 mix of cheap generic ATF and Marvel Mystery oil, let it soak for about a week (as I recall I topped it off after a couple of days) then tried to turn it over, be ware of hydro locking if it does turn over (remove the injector or the glow plugs from each cylinder so the fluid has somewhere to go and nothing gets bent). It may also help that I added it upon pick up after discovering and draining the gallon or so of water from the oil pan, giving it about 250 miles worth of agitation bouncing around on a trailer.

Ike

p.s. oh, also when you do get ready to try to really start it for the first time do it outdoors, not inside a shop building like I did (black gunk from the exhaust flew about 20 feet up into the air and rained down on everything)

Last edited:

PeterD

I used a 50/50 mix of cheap generic ATF and Marvel Mystery oil, ...)
I suspect we all have our favorite mix... I use generic ATF and diesel fuel, about a 50/50 mix. If you can keep it from evaporating then a mix of ATF, diesel and some acetone can be even more potent (but acetone does evaporate quickly). In that case I'd mix 40/40/20.

The idea behind these mixes is that ATF has a tendency to really soak into stuff. The using of diesel and/or acetone is an attempt to make it even more aggressive. Marvel Mystery oil is great stuff too, but keep in mind that Marvel makes a lot of different lubricants.

If you can get it, a gallon of Kroil (not that expensive in the gallon size) works wonders. About the best stuff for this purpose you can get...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks