• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Throughout the rally I gained the reputation of having everything. In the closing hours my bubble was bust when someone came looking for a spring. I didn't have one and was devastated. Well, I just put an assortment of springs in the truck. Next will be rolls of fuel hose.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually have a long fuel hose for the MBU's that can be cut down. It uses 1/4 inch Parker-Hanifin connectors, so if you need another size you'll have to bring it. GI hose is 20 feet, I've found five is plenty!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Throughout the rally I gained the reputation of having everything. In the closing hours my bubble was bust when someone came looking for a spring. I didn't have one and was devastated. Well, I just put an assortment of springs in the truck. Next will be rolls of fuel hose.
Kenny,

Don't beat yourself up over not having a spring. Remember ALL of the other things you did have. Even I was amazed at the variety of items you managed to have on hand.

Whiterabbit

Speaking of having everything.
What was the name of the dealer/vendor out in the field that had all the antenna sections and masts. Over on the far side(near the main road) in the little recessed area. Suffering from CRS here.
Thanks

And you even made a lasting impression on two little girls with your armband making skills. My daughter still talks about that.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Don't beat yourself up over not having a spring.
It was indeed me looking it for a spring for the springer seat base I was installing another seat on. MDMorgan gave me one off a seat he had for sale and all was well. The new seat is miles ahead of the old one and I arrived home with less aches and pains.

The SSGA Rally is the one thing I look forward too more than Christmas.

I can't wait for next year.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The girls were fun. They kept my buddy Mike busy as well. I did have a great time for sure and now I have springs.

Whiterabbit

It's been great watching the rally grow each year and I just talked another MV owner (LR Lightweight) to attend next year! If we each get 1 MV owner who didn't know about the rally or isn't on this forum (yes, some folks aren't on SS)to come we'd have almost 300 vehicles show up next yr!! Start recruiting new rally attendees.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally made it home Thursday night, completely yet-lagged-out from a great 10 days (two days flying, rally and visiting family and a friend in Florida). Racing around ever since, still half disoriented, the first moment quiet to write something down here. In short:

THANKS

This was a great time, worth every penny. Finally seeing a lot of people "in the flesh". This really is a family in the largest sense of the word and I am honored to be part of it. Several people who never met before working together to swap a complete engine on a Deuce in smoldering hot weather. Being invited to several eating opportunities. Getting a ride down to New Smyrna Beach, Florida, after the rally and so on and so forth. I even managed to spent an hour on Saturday at the trails.

Over the next days I will go through tonnes of pictures and start uploading in the media thread. Doing the video work will take a bit longer but it will come also soon. Again, thanks people, job well done.

edit: did not read the last 25 pages of posts during and since the rally, will start doing that now.

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even though last year the wifi was working, they have a single connection and bandwidth was very low. Set up a cell booster that backbones over the web and you'll put their wifi network on it's knees. BTW, there's three APs/repeaters to get to us from the main office to the field.
I talked with the DT people and they mentioned that a new fyber-optics cable is put in the ground to get the lodge a high capacity line. That line crosses more or less over our main area. We should ask DT to either make a branch with router directly on the field or run a thin cable back from the lodge to the pole in the middle of the vendor field. Cables are dirt cheap, so with a bit of pressure hopefully we could have much better signal next year enabling multiple log-on without bringing the system on its knees.

As to phones, one of my phones had almost never signal, the other one (same provider, maybe it selected a different network) did a bit better but no text messages. It was not until I was in FLORIDA that text messages came through again normally.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to leave early on Saturday evening in a hurry for work. I left my Rally souvenir shirt somewhere. I just noticed today when I finally got home it was not in my bags I left behind when I went to Houston. If anyone found it (tan XL) I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice!

Does anyone have a video of the actual convoy driving by, and a count as to how many trucks were in it?

My wife wants to show it to her 5th grade class. She said the kids went nuts over the pictures and videos she brought in today.
I do, but just got home and did not have time to sort pics and post video's. Give me a few days or so.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo is in Florida now visiting family. He will be back in Atlanta tonight and flying out on Wednesday
Actually, I stayed in Florida and flew out of Orlando. Great deal. For those of you interested, try hipmunk for your flight tickets, they managed to find flights which our Czech and German websites did not mention. Flying out of different airports nowadays is not much more expensive than straight return tickets. Also, for transatlantic flights, try flying Tuesday or Wednesday, often flights are a bit cheaper but, as important, there are more free seats left.

When you fly, check in online 23 hours before departure and select your seats, using seat-guru as backup. I now know that, when flying with two people and still some rows empty, do not take two seats next to each other but two aisle seats in the same row. Big chance that if the plane is not full, the two seats in between will stay empty and you will have more room. You can change your seat even after you checked in online, so check again about 4 hours before departure, see if the strategy still holds or shift to better seats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks