• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

scottgs

Regarding the Pinz, I bet it was a case of mistaken identity with the Land-Rover 101FC. The irony being that I was probably driving it during the sighting. ;)

The Land-Rover 101 is a cool truck, and very much like a Pinz in utility, concept, size and capacity. But it is definitely not like a Pinz in the drive train department. They are almost exactly the same curb weight and size (for a 4-wheeled Pinzgauer), with the 101FC slightly larger and with 50% more cargo capacity (1 ton for the Pinz, 1.5 ton for the 101FC). The Land-Rover 101 was designed as an air-portable multi-purpose vehicle, but with a specific role as an air-portable artillery tractor. Side-by side, the Land-Rover looks slightly bigger, but it just barely is. Interestingly, the curb weights are almost exactly the same near 4,400 lbs. The 101 benefits from an all Alloy body. The body, like most Military Land-Rovers, is made of Birmabright, which is an aluminium alloy developed from WWII aircraft production.

For a quick comparison, I think the trucks are very similar in function, but the similarity stops there. To me, the Pinzgauer, like the Unimog, is a study in European complexity and ultimate off-road capability. The Land-Rover is the antithesis, it's typical old-fashioned Anglo-American simplicity and brute force. The Land-Rover 101FC has an American designed V8, the Pinz an air-cooled 4 cylinder. This makes the Land-Rover exceptionally nice to drive for a Military vehicle. The GM derived military V8 in the 101 is smooth, powerful and quiet, and when combined with the auxiliary overdrive, it will cruise very nicely and quietly at lower interstate speeds.

Although the 101 doesn't have the portal swing axles of a Pinz, in a way it makes up for it with larger tires and the simplicity and durability of Spicer/Dana 60 axles, full-time 4x4 and Detroit/truetrac lockers in the diffs (non-standard). Simplicity of the 101 is again shown in a conventional transmission/transfer setup with the simple mechanical linkages and cables, whereas the Pinz has a very complex transaxle backbone with swing portal axles and a multitude of hydraulic control cylinders and hoses. Another unique feature on the Land-Rover is the factory center mounted PTO winch, which can be used front or rear.

Both trucks are geared similarly, but the torque flexibility of the Rover's V8 makes it easy casual going at crawling speeds, compared to the relatively higher revving air-cooled 4-cylinder in the Pinz. In the end though, the Pinz is the king off-road, no doubt. However I suspect the Land-Rover is more survivable and will ultimately out-live a Pinz, if for no other reason it's aluminium body and the simple drive train made from mostly common components.

I wanted to get it on the trail, but we seemed to have been all messed up on knowing when the trail rides were, only making one, and that combined with it being packed with radio stuff, we just never made it to the trails. I've been wheeling with this truck before and the Land-Rover 101FC does surprisingly well for something not having the clearance of portal axles. I've been on rides with me driving my Unimog, and the 101 keeps up well for what it is. Next year I hope we'll have it on the trail a the 2015 SSGR and can see how it does there.

Maybe we can setup a special trail ride for the Euro trucks?

Garret

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading all the comments and going back over my own ideas, some comments on the rally “as an outsider – newbie”. I will send a letter to the AAR people with more details as well and suggestions for solutions as well (soon). These remarks are not a criticism, just some food for thought and maybe a point to help think about it: look at this as an outsider arriving for the first time.

Opening statement: this was worth every penny I spent on it, I met many great people and probably missed meeting a lot more of them. Thanks for that.

Not sure what I expected but this rally was definitely different than whatever I had thought even after reading the pre-rally comments in the official threads and browsing through the earlier multimedia threads.

1) The one outstanding thing was the looseness of the whole event. I had a plan ready how to be actively involved (registration, pictures/video, engine swap). More assuring, I knew that I was expected and that if getting lost at any time physically or otherwise, the GA mafia would step up as usually to catch me. I now met a lot more people at the rally who would do the same without a moment thought … if they knew it was needed.

Now If I would have come without such a plan, and certainly without a car or with a civic car and sleeping in a tent on the camp field, I probably (surely) would have felt lost completely. This rally is now getting so big that it might be overwhelming for newbie’s. Things that probably happened automatically in the beginning do not do so anymore with over 200 people attending.

I agree with those who said it before; a white board would be THE mayor improvement here and easily managed. Two boards at the reception area would be great. One board telling where is what, where to go, options, trail rides, etc, etc. The other could be of a more of a personal style thing.

2) What I missed is the “everybody together” moment or moments. This is where it really differs from a true family meeting. With this large a meeting, maybe its getting too big for that. Don’t know how to solve that or if it should be solved at all.

I was waiting for the big fire as a joint moment on Saturday. Did not know that was much more of a spontaneous “lets throw the whole bloody tree on the fire and see what happens” event that happened Friday. Also thought – naively – that everybody would join the convoy; should have realized that this is near to impossible with 130-odd trucks and well over 200 people.

As said, more will be send with solutions to the AAR staff, just thought that these impressions should be shared wider.

One last thing, on a personal note, but for me very important. Some of you know that I had a very loose after-Rally plan, having three free days without a clear plan but hoping something MV related would turn up. Plan B was: I can always visit my family in Florida. Nothing turned up and Kenny delivered me in Florida on the doorstep of my nephews Jim and Paul Sunday evening (Thanks mate).

We figured out that we had not seen each other for more than 30 years. We spent a lot of time talking about our fathers (brothers), both of who spent WW II as POWs working on the rail road and ending up in Changi. Both our parents married while still in Singapore. Their parents stayed in Asia - later Japan amazingly enough - until the early 70s, mine returned to the Netherlands and never left again. We were able to fill up gaps in both our family histories and had a great time. Without the GA Rally, this would probably never have happened, and for this, if nothing else, I am in your debt. Thanks.

Last edited:

racing4funn

Can someone tell me about the M105 trailer (it may have been a M101) with the 5 ton wheels and tires? Was it a straight bolt on? As there an axle swap? Need for extral clearance?

Thanks

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone tell me about the M105 trailer (it may have been a M101) with the 5 ton wheels and tires? Was it a straight bolt on? As there an axle swap? Need for extral clearance?

Thanks
Are you talking about my M105 trl with the shelter in the bed? If so, that is just 11x20's on a 9x20 rim.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people asked me about Holland - The Netherlands, and papabear reminded me of the video I once posted on the topic.

For those who missed it the first time: have fun, hope you'll understand my background a bit better.

Oh, and be happy it is so simple now. Since 1948 we lost the East Dutch Indies (now Indonesia, my mother was born in Batavia, what is now Djakarta) and in the 1970s Suriname went independent.

Whiterabbit

LOL!
I remember working on the ports in Amsterdam in the late 1980's during a "REFORGER". Brrrrrrrrr! That's some rough weather in January! I remember we stayed in one of your military kasernes or bases, and the big tubs of chocolate on the tables for breakfast and friendly people. Good times. :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, dates to come out soon since we want to be in snow instead of the great weather we had this year. I didn't believe PATracy when he said it was 88 one day because it felt like 78 to me and I HATE hot weather. It was the nicest SSGR in the 5 I've been to.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, under a tent fly like almost everyone else in the swap meet area. It isn't like we don't have some of the smartest people in the world when it comes to preparing for an event like this, because we do.

I have only heard one complaint about the heat this year. Would I like for it to be 72 all day and 62 at night all night? Yes. But I'd also like to see it in Hawaii with a nice off-shore breeze.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks