• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem Starting my M1009

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open your phone book to the yellow pages, look for starter repair shops. A google search shows several shops in your area. I'd look there for a solenoid. Be sure to explain it's 24v. Part number should be in the -20P or -34P TM.

1984M1009

I saw remanned gear reduction 24v starters on ebay for $100 shipped I wonder if I should just do that.

I guess I will see how much the solenoid is if its $224 like at Napa It will decide for me

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your problem has lead to a discovery of another wiring diagram error. The fusible link for the diagnostic system is mislabeled. It shound be a 20 gauge orange and not a 16 gauge red. I have corrected it in the other post and I am relisting it here.

Fusible links on the 24v Postive Terminal Block

3 blue – 2A – Glow Plug resistor – diagram E-7 – Gauge 12 fusible link
3 blue – 2L – Gen2 24v output - diagram E-9 Gauge 12 fusible link

1 red – 2Z – starter relay - diagram E-1 - Gauge 16 fusible link

.5 orange-101A – diagnostic system - diagram E-11 Gauge 20 fusible link (*** MISLABLED IN THE DIAGRAMS ***)
.5 orange-2K – Gen2 excitor – diagram E-9 Gauge 20 fusible link

The wire you are talking about replacing is coming from the RED fusible link entering the firewall from the bottom wire of the second column from the left and the going to the starter relay and the 24v fuse.

Double check for voltage from the fusible link ate the firewall plug

You may have to "spilt" the firewall plug to check the connections. The firewall plug is filled with a grease substance from the factory and over the years will harden and cause issues. I have have to clean a couple fireall plugs on trucks to fix an electrical issue.

Attachments

Last edited:

1984M1009

I got a stater solenoid for $26 bucks locally.

I will pull that big plug off and check it out before running another wire.

I cant wait to get this beast running the top is already off.

I have already installed a 24v fuse panel under the hood to replace all the fusible links except for the glow plugs. I would rather have fuses in case something happens while offroading so I can diagnose easier and just replace fuses

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog how do you remove that plug from the firewall I had it running for a second and then lost power to the 24 volt fuse again.
From the engine compartment there is a bolt in the center of the plugs. Remove it and the wiggle/pry the connector appart. There are three individual plugs held together with a plastic housing.

Here is a picture of one I had to clean. Notice the dried gunk on the terminals?

The one with the red circle is the 24v feed wire

I used Brake Cleaner and Electrical Contact Cleaner, a toothbrush and a pocket knife.

Attachments

Last edited:

1984M1009

Well its all fixed

I pulled the plug and on the firewall side the terminal for the wire was slid back. I pulled down the fuse panel and tried to get it to stay but it wouldn't. Not wanting to have it leave me stranded I cut the wire off the plug on the engine side and ran a short wire to the fuse panel inside.

I appreciate everyones help

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks