• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring has sprung and time for new springs on the CUCV's

cucvrus

DSCF6749.jpgDSCF6748.jpgDSCF6750.jpgDSCF6751.jpgDSCF6752.jpgDSCF6753.jpgDSCF6754.jpgDSCF6755.jpgDSCF6756.jpgA few more spring pictures. i have the front springs and sway bar off. I am going to build a new flat bet for this truck. One that is the same width as the cab. This truck I have been plowing with for 20 years and it has always been cumbersome. I plan on removing the dual wheel conversion kit and going back to the good old LT23585R16 Good year Duratrak tires. It will make it more useful and easier to see while plowing and spreading. It was originally designed to carry a water tank and do leak testing on new trucks. We have an indoor water check station now. Have a great day.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manor Salt Truck 005.jpgManor Salt Truck 008.jpgManor Salt Truck 010.jpgManor Salt Truck 011.jpgRick, why would you want to spend all that time and $ building a new box. If its only used for a salt/plow truck you can mount the salter directly to the truck frame. We used 6"x6" treated rails to gain the height needed. Clean and simple and easy access to the rest of the hardware below.

cucvrus

I must have a bit of side storage ability to haul bagged salt for walkways and access doors. It is a truck manufacturing facility and it has 53 acres and several buildings to maintain. I would like to do away with the bed. But I really like doing away with the duals. They are not needed. This truck never or very seldom sees the road. It will be going on the road for a stainless steel exhaust system when I am done with the rest of the work. I see that as a plus.

cucvrus

DSCF6823.jpgDSCF6824.jpgDSCF6825.jpgDSCF6826.jpgDSCF6827.jpgThis week I have a new hire. He is 19 years old and a student on summer break. He is studying diesel technology and is very handy. He whipped the front springs on and said he loves this kind of work. I remember the energy I had back then. He did an excellent job. I feel I can have Big Red ready for inspection by next month. I look forward to having a firm ride back again. The fronts springs are wasted on Big Red and the left shock is still rattling away. Next the dual conversion is coming off and I am going back to singles. Never sees the road and makes it a mess to plow with. Zero rear vision. Have a great day.

rustystud

I have a question for you "cucvrus" . What is the measurement on good springs between the rubber snubber and the "reverse style" springs ?
I'm debating on replacing my front springs on my M1028 . I cannot find a factory measurement on what the proper distance should be. Mine are 1.5" right now. I called a "spring manufacture" in Wisconsin who said that is normal. I'm thinking that is too low and the springs need replacing. Since you have done quite a few of these I would like your opinion.
Thanks.

cucvrus

I can look. But an accurate measurement wil be hard to come by. These trucks have carried heavy snow plows on them for years. I just know by looking at the spring plate they need changed. The plate is polished at the point where the bump stop meets it. That is even when the plow is not in place. When I put the new 4 ply springs on Mr Rusty it hardly deflected at all when the huge Fisher plow was installed and raised. It also drove nicer without that constant bump stop hitting at intersections and low spots in the road. I am doing Big Red next. That has all stock tires and suspension. I will take before measurements and after measurements for posting pictures. I hope it makes a huge difference in ride height. Big Red is in great shape except for a lot of road rash dents. Underside is in excellent condition. Suspension is just worn out from years of hauling and plowing. Have a great day.

54reo

Do you know if the rear spring sets listed above will physically fit an M1009?

I'm assuming the front springs are all the same between the multiple models.

cucvrus

Since they are 3500 lb springs I am going to say NO they will not fit an M1009. These springs are not center at the very center of the spring pack. There is a front and back to the rear M1008 springs. Center pin to eye is different on each end of the spring. You understand. That spring can handle a lot more weight then a 6 bolt corporate 10 bolt M1009 rear axle.

Jozseph

I have a question for you "cucvrus" . What is the measurement on good springs between the rubber snubber and the "reverse style" springs ?
I'm debating on replacing my front springs on my M1028 . I cannot find a factory measurement on what the proper distance should be. Mine are 1.5" right now. I called a "spring manufacture" in Wisconsin who said that is normal. I'm thinking that is too low and the springs need replacing. Since you have done quite a few of these I would like your opinion.
Thanks.
FWIW read the web page of Offroad Design on Custom Leaf Springs;

In my opinion the Leaf Construction description would be of value to all.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/ORDCustomSprings.htm

They have a local spring manufacturer that makes "military wrapped main eye" on the spring they have made. And they use many more "thin leaves" in the spring pack.

Regards

Joseph

cucvrus

I have a question for you "cucvrus" . What is the measurement on good springs between the rubber snubber and the "reverse style" springs

Sir I have measured the truck with the stock 32 year old springs and it was 1.5" from the spring plate to the rubber bump stop. The spring plates look to be chrome where the bump stops contact them. After the new 4 ply springs were installed it is 3-3 1/4" between the bump stop and spring plate. I think the spring plate is due to begin getting the proper brown rust patina. I know that Mr Rusty drove very nice with all new springs (same kind) and shocks. I hope that answers your questions. I do not think that there is any difference between the front springs on the M1009 vs the M1028 or M1031. Front springs appear to be the same. Have a great day.

cucvrus

overloaded.jpgI saw this one on line. He should have checked his load. His springs have sprung amongst other things.flat tire.jpg I just seen this one on I 81 ouch. Friday the 13th. check out the number painted on the road at the blown tire. Gotcha. Super Singles may look great but 1 tire goes flat and you are up the creek. Ah 1 good can of fix a flat and you are on your way. I seen the alligator about 1 mile back. It was hot and blue. Low air pressure killed that tire.

Last edited:

rustystud

I have a question for you "cucvrus" . What is the measurement on good springs between the rubber snubber and the "reverse style" springs

Sir I have measured the truck with the stock 32 year old springs and it was 1.5" from the spring plate to the rubber bump stop. The spring plates look to be chrome where the bump stops contact them. After the new 4 ply springs were installed it is 3-3 1/4" between the bump stop and spring plate. I think the spring plate is due to begin getting the proper brown rust patina. I know that Mr Rusty drove very nice with all new springs (same kind) and shocks. I hope that answers your questions. I do not think that there is any difference between the front springs on the M1009 vs the M1028 or M1031. Front springs appear to be the same. Have a great day.
Thanks cucvrus, that's what I was looking for. Are you still selling your NOS M1028 front springs ? I would like to buy them.

cucvrus

Sure I will sell them. I do not have anything that I can use them on. I have all trucks with heavy plows and the reverse arch is not what I need. I guess I could put them on an M1009 but I have never replaced one in 20 years of owning several M1009's. Did you send me a ZIP Code Thank you. ?

cucvrus

DSCF6835.jpgDSCF6834.jpgDSCF6836.jpgDSCF6837.jpgI have decided to return the salt spreader truck back to a single rear wheel truck. I am in the process of having another body made for the rear. The adapters will make nice boat anchors. Big Red received 4 new shocks. I did not tear into Big Reds springs because I did not have the correct front U bolts for the left side. And also I am still waiting to get the new sway bar bushings.

rustystud

Sure I will sell them. I do not have anything that I can use them on. I have all trucks with heavy plows and the reverse arch is not what I need. I guess I could put them on an M1009 but I have never replaced one in 20 years of owning several M1009's. Did you send me a ZIP Code Thank you. ?

I have sent you several messages lately. Are you getting them ?

cucvrus

DSCF6900.jpgDSCF6901.jpgDSCF6902.jpgDSCF6903.jpgDSCF6904.jpgDSCF6905.jpgDSCF6906.jpgDSCF6907.jpgDSCF6908.jpgToday I took a few measurements for the before new springs and after new springs ride height. I want to have all 4 of the springs changed in 6 hours tomorrow starting at 6 AM. I need the truck ready for Monday AM work. I noticed that I drove this truck 4600 mile in the past 30 days. I never really checked but I seen it on the inspection sticker that it went 28K miles since last year when it was inspected. I am guessing about 2-3inches in ride height with the new 4 ply front springs and 2-3 " on the rear ride height. I have 4 new Goodyear Duratrak in stock LT23585/R16 that I will get mounted next week after the springs are installed. The power steering pump has been growling for the past 2 years and I am tired of the strain while parking and want to change the ignition key switch also. the key has been broken off in the cylinder for over 5 years. Hey what can I say. It works everyday and no one ever ask to borrow it. Most people hate it. I am glad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks