• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring has sprung and time for new springs on the CUCV's

cucvrus

DSCF6919.jpgDSCF6929.jpgDSCF6926.jpgDSCF6925.jpgDSCF6924.jpgDSCF6923.jpgDSCF6922.jpgDSCF6921.jpgDSCF6920.jpgDSCF6918.jpgToday was a busy hard day. the front springs did not cooperate but they are in place with out any real issues. the front plow frame was in the way and I do some minor cutting and grinding on the plow frame to fit the 4 ply springs in place. Also it was challenge to change the sway bar bushings and get it all completed by NOON. I changed the ignition lock cylinder it has been broken for years. It was time to change it the short key and the trim piece were always falling out when I started it. Next Saturday I will try and get the rear springs and the power steering pump changed. I have been very busy today even working outside on Terminus M1009 in the rain.

cucvrus

DSCF6931.jpgDSCF6930.jpgDSCF6932.jpgI have more scrap springs for my scrap pile. I used to save them and use the plys out of them. Now I just scrap them and get new spring packs complete. I am sold on the 4 ply front spring. That is a huge improvement when you have a snow plow up front. The spring plates are both polished from riding and hitting the bump stops. No more of that. the plates will rust now.

cucvrus

DSCF7157.jpgDSCF7151.jpgDSCF7152.jpgDSCF7153.jpgDSCF7154.jpgDSCF7155.jpgDSCF7156.jpgTo some people this may be like polishing a turd. But this is my old faithful 1984 M1008. It used to be a dually and spent 20 years with the dual wheels. This year it was death time or fix it. I chose to fix it. I spent close to $3K on it to get it this far. That is not including the labor. But it looks good and drives good again. It is not licensed for road use. It is a Plow truck. The brackets on the back serve as the mounts for the salt spreader. It had wooden 4 X 4 are mounts for years. It has a new flatbed made from 6" channel and the floor is Fir 2 X 8 with a varnish on the top side and completely under coated. The old bed was like a razor blade rusty and sharp. I replaced the springs,shocks all the bushings, sway bar bushings. It has 4 new E range LT235/85R16 Goodyear Duratrak tires and a complete new exhaust system front to back They exit at the rear as to help spread the salt and keep the ice from building up. The truck is completely stock under the hood. It does need new motor mounts and a fuel pump. That will be done soon. All the rear lights are LED and it has very bright back ups. It will be nice plowing without the bed being wider then the cab. That was a PITA for 20+ years. Glad the change was needed.

cucvrus

DSCF6907 (1).jpgOld SpringsDSCF7201.jpgNew 3500 lb rear springs. It only raised it 1/2 an inch but it is a huge improvement in the ride. It was worth the expense and effort. DSCF7202.jpgDrives nicer loaded and seems to handle the trailer better on the back roads. 32 years of worn out springs.