• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Epic Separation

BobM

BobM the area he was in is open range. And yes if you hit a critter you are responsible. Been that way since the start of the western migration. That also holds true for most federal land as it is leased out in the summer months to ranchers. They usually graze livestock from about May to October on federal land. So out here one has to keep their eyes pealed 100% of the time.

Sorry to have missed you. Oh well !! can catch you on the next trip you make out here.

Around here, we have LOTS of deer. And they are mostly over 200 lbs or so. They don't have the right-of-way here, but if you hit one, it will still mess up your whole day!;)

Say Jonathan, Kinda curious to know what you thought of the "Beartooth Highway" from Red Lodge to Cody and the other areas you visited there. Was the trip "UP THERE" worth it? I kinda thought that maybe it would be at least one of the highlights of your "Epic Journey and Separation"! It sounds like you had a fairly good trip depite the flats and your brother having problems. Glad it turned out ok for him though. Take care and keep in touch. Call me sometime if you get a chance. Good luck!!! Walt aka elkmhunter

merlot566jka

Say Jonathan, Kinda curious to know what you thought of the "Beartooth Highway" from Red Lodge to Cody and the other areas you visited there. Was the trip "UP THERE" worth it? I kinda thought that maybe it would be at least one of the highlights of your "Epic Journey and Separation"! It sounds like you had a fairly good trip despite the flats and your brother having problems. Glad it turned out ok for him though. Take care and keep in touch. Call me sometime if you get a chance. Good luck!!! Walt aka elkmhunter
It was absolutely fantastic. We got to the top of beartooth just as the sun was setting. I cant even find words to describe it. We got within 5 feet of some mountain goats, and tried out the oxygen lacking air... breath taking! The ascend was rough, mostly 20mph and below in low gear. The decent was the same, but done in the dark.
It was very worth it. Had I gone alone, I probably would have stayed there for the day just admiring the beauty of it. I couldn't imagine a more perfect place to be, I was on top of the world.

The trip ended at 4am here in Oklahoma. After the military vehicle museum we drove straight through the rest of Nebraska, Kansas and into Oklahoma. The museum had to have been the coolest place we went to. We got there an hour before it closed, but they kept it open for us. I ended up buying hats, posters, patches and a grenade.

Met a really cute girl that worked at a coffee shop in Keystone, just before Mt. Rushmore. She was headed to Seattle for school. This was the closest any of us got to female contact the whole trip... minus the two larger women that drove up to the deuce and tried to flirt with us. I treated them like the bison we saw everywhere... didn't feed them and drove around them in fear of being attacked.

Had another tire failure today, one of the inner rear duals decided it didnt want about a 10"x4" patch of its tread. Now I am looking for some tires!

Total weight for the trip was 22109 lbs.
avg mpg was 7.20
best mpg was 8.974
worst mpg was 6.7

Right rear outer hub is now dripping a hefty amount of fluid

The transfer-case air line decided to unscrew itself partially and sprayed lube everywhere. Easy fix though.

The head gaskets are leaking oil like mad.

The front wheel boots are shredded.

The rear main seal looks to be leaking.

The EGT probe popped out and made an interesting sound. Easy fix though.

Got pulled over twice.

Saw tons of field mice, prairie dogs, deer, elk, bison, cows, horses, skunks, raccoons, and few other splattered wild life.

had one negative comment about the truck, and probably a thousand thumbs up and waving.

hwcurtice

Pulled over twice? Not for speeding... What for?

Glad you made it home relatively unscathed. Now, git er fixed and see how much home has changed while you've been playing sailor.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it home.

I have some extra tires. Not the best but will work for now. I can also get you the seals abd boots.

Warthog

merlot566jka

Pulled over twice? Not for speeding... What for?

Glad you made it home relatively unscathed. Now, git er fixed and see how much home has changed while you've been playing sailor.
We got pulled over for suspicion. We looked too interesting apparently. We also had concealed carry hand guns and as soon as we told the police, they got extra edgy. We were disarmed, info was ran, and they thumbed through all of my paperwork. Then they asked thousands of questions. It was obvious that their suspicion turned into envy and then they gave their remarks and let us go.
If I was the police, I would have done the same thing.

merlot566jka

Glad you made it home.

I have some extra tires. Not the best but will work for now. I can also get you the seals abd boots.

Warthog
Thanks man! I have 6 11.00x20 radials that I am going to mount on my deuce wheels, just need 4 more to make a set. I will likely do that tomorrow. I found a guy in noble selling some 11x20s from a firetruck, waiting to hear back from him.

We are about to unload the vette at a lumber yard, and then unload the m105 into a temp storage. Or maybe just remove the tarp and bows and park the whole thing in the garage. We will be moving again in about a month, as I am just crashing at my brothers apartment until we find a suitable rent house. So no need to waste energy.

And of course, people saw me and the truck, so I am slated to move furniture this weekend...

BobM

Glad you made it home alright! Like I said before, this will be a trip you will remember FOREVER! We just'passed in the night' as I was going thru Tulsa and OKC about the time you made it home. My internet last night was too spotty to post a reply. And be careful with that C4 when you unload it!:beer:

merlot566jka

The corvette unload went great. Unfortunately the apartment manager flipped out and said I need to remove "that horrible monstrosity eyesore thing off her property immediately" after giving me permission to park it here 2 weeks ago.
They put stickers on the windshield saying it would be towed at 5pm yesterday. I moved it around 630pm a soon as I found out. I had nowhere to park it because all businesses were closed. I ended up parking it in an empty lot adjacent to the complex after talking to my dad about where I could go. We tried his law firms parking lot 20 miles away, but it would have taken too many spots and I was uncomfortable with the security of the lot. I drove back to find a closer location. My father was absolutely furious that they were treating me this way and that they notified me as their office was closing so we couldnt talk to them about it. They called the citys police department about the truck an about the towing. My dad contacted the police and they called the manager at her home and told her she was being unreasonable and that they were going to give me 48 hours before they did anything. They put me in an extremely inconvenient position after insulting me. Not to mention going back on their word.

My father, who is a Vietnam vet, retired police officer and now civil rights attorney, had a few words with her just moments ago. He explained that I just got out of the navy and had been home for 2 days, and I'm sure he said alot more than just that. He's a powerful person in this state, and represents all of the city, county and state police. Needless to say, the apartment manager just called, apologized, offered us a free storage unit and said it was ok to store the truck here as long as I need. I told her "no thank you, youve done enough as is, an I will be sure to notify all local military members about the way this apartment complex treats military members. You insulted me, my vehicle, and the united states military. I do not appreciate what you have done and will make sure that none of my other military brothers and sisters are treated like this. Thank you for the apology, and have a great day."

I am contacting the legal branch at Tinker Air Force Base to notify them of the situation. It won't be long before they add the complex to the "off limits" list due to the incident.

Good news is, I got laid last night! And the truck was just fine as I drove past it this morning around 6am. I've found a storage for $55 a month about 5 miles away. I will keep the truck and trailer there until my brother and I find a rent house.

Just gets me heated when people are unreasonable, closed minded and rude. I've had nothing but compliments and admiration about my truck. And this lady comes out of left field and insults me. B!tch.

hwcurtice

Good news is, I got laid last night!
How long were you at sea?

[/QUOTE] Just gets me heated when people are unreasonable, closed minded and rude. I've had nothing but compliments and admiration about my truck. And this lady comes out of left field and insults me. B!tch.[/QUOTE]

People like this makes your sacrifice not much of one. Better luck in the future.

spartan_185

I hate to hear about you running into someone like that right off the bat. I can assure you most Oklahoma folk are not that unfriendly. Heck if you would have moved a little further south to my neck of the woods I would have gladly let you store your deuce on my back lot. Ive got a few back there to keep it company.

merlot566jka

How long were you at sea?
Just gets me heated when people are unreasonable, closed minded and rude. I've had nothing but compliments and admiration about my truck. And this lady comes out of left field and insults me. B!tch.[/QUOTE]

People like this makes your sacrifice not much of one. Better luck in the future.[/QUOTE]

Let's just say I was over due.

Total sea counter is at 7 years 4months. Actual time not in port was 5years 9months.

People like this are the demise of our country... They can't even appreciate the people who make their snooty lives possible. I say screw em. This is my country, my truck and my right. I fought for this.

merlot566jka

I hate to hear about you running into someone like that right off the bat. I can assure you most Oklahoma folk are not that unfriendly. Heck if you would have moved a little further south to my neck of the woods I would have gladly let you store your deuce on my back lot. Ive got a few back there to keep it company.
I know most Okies aren't like this, thankfully!

Hopefully we find a place that has plenty of room for my truck. But I will keep you in mind, just in case!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need a place to keep the truck and trailer FOR FREE, let me know.

Sorry that happened Jonathan but sometimes thats how it is. I know its hard to let something like that go but just do it ok? It's not worth it!! I ran into a similar situation when I was in the Army and that was during the Viet Nam War when I came home on leave. I'm not going to dwell on it, but anyhow the best thing you can do is chalk it up as a life experience. Perhaps someday that gal will understand what she did. I hope this post helps and hasn't offended you but in any event thats my two cents worth. Hope you were treated well in Montana. Also I hope to see you back here somtime in the future. Take care and I wish you the best!! Walt aka elkhunter

hwcurtice

Ya know, Jonathan, if you had just left the truck at my place.... :deadhorse:

Sometimes, all it takes is a deep breath and a lot of relaxation. Yes, there are the few out there that make life miserable for others. Hold your head up. You did good.

Maybe if it was camo'ed, she wouldn't have seen it? ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks