• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing deuce with deuce

boomer

OK, I did a search for this, and if there is one (or two) then I was not successfull.
Having the opportunity, I have always transported them. Now that I have a tow bar, I want to tow one with that.
My question is, do you need to secure the steering wheel of the one being towed?
Also, I remember when the military did this (and still does) they had an assembly, lifting up the bumper of the truck being towed. Is anyone privy to this?
Any other tricks or helpfull hints?

mcmullag

You do not need to secure the wheel of the one being towed. On turns, the towed vehicle's front wheels will turn and follow you on their own. One weird thing is... get rolling before you make a turn. If you try pulling a towed vehicle at an angle from a stopped position, its front wheels will turn the opposite way you want them to go.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, I did a search for this, and if there is one (or two) then I was not successfull.
Having the opportunity, I have always transported them. Now that I have a tow bar, I want to tow one with that.
My question is, do you need to secure the steering wheel of the one being towed?

Any other tricks or helpfull hints?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/70895-towing-deuce-deuce.html#post866314

All your links to towing threads are there.

When you search for something and can not find it, please post up on one of the "search help" threads (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/website-help/58151-trouble-searching.html). Someone will help you find what you are after.

Also, I remember when the military did this (and still does) they had an assembly, lifting up the bumper of the truck being towed. Is anyone privy to this?
Do a search for "whiffle tree"

Please carry any further discussion over the relevant threads I linked to. Better to keep all the info in 6 threads instead of 12.

Westech

CPL
You do not need to secure the wheel of the one being towed. On turns, the towed vehicle's front wheels will turn and follow you on their own. One weird thing is... get rolling before you make a turn. If you try pulling a towed vehicle at an angle from a stopped position, its front wheels will turn the opposite way you want them to go.

WRONG! Yes you MUST tie off the steering wheel in the deuce being towed. I and Gimp have towed trucks all across the USA and the steering wheel MUST be tied off. If you do not and you take a turn the wheel will dig right in and go to lock. Then you are dead in the water until you back up and get the wheel turned.

As of lifting the front end yes if you have a wrecker.. if yo are flat towing with a deuce there is no way to do this.

nk14zp

:ditto:
WRONG! Yes you MUST tie off the steering wheel in the deuce being towed. I and Gimp have towed trucks all across the USA and the steering wheel MUST be tied off. If you do not and you take a turn the wheel will dig right in and go to lock. Then you are dead in the water until you back up and get the wheel turned.

As of lifting the front end yes if you have a wrecker.. if yo are flat towing with a deuce there is no way to do this.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

WRONG AGAIN! I too have thousands of miles on the towbar and my experience shows that the need to tie off the wheel varies. Towbar length, tire pressure, truck age all affect the towing outcome. Planning your poute and knowing your turns helps a bunch.

Points;

1) Off highway, Yup, you will need to tie it.
2) Flat tread tires, need to tie it

All of the gassers I've ever towed tracked fine anywhere I went. Multis, not so. Sharp right turns are the worst. Lefts never seem to be a problem for me. Up the tire pressure as well, it will help in most situations.

The one thing guaranteed is that there is no guaranteed right way to do this. Better be on your "A" game, it's not a friendly task.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk's cheap. I'd like to see you go down there and start something with him big boy.

;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think that would be kinda fun. Not sure how the chief would react to us doing a bunch of "sooper troopers" scenes though. I think the scene with the kids and the weed was great!

I'm gonna have to side with Kenny on this one. There is no rhyme or reason to why a truck will or will not tow. Some I tie up and others I don't. I do know that radials don't play well when towing.

Tlauden

So just to clarify...

Highway = no tie on steering wheel
Secondary/back road = tie the wheel

When u guys tie them off, do you just use the chain and a pad lock to one location or is there a certain way With multiple chains that they need chained??

Edit: I forgot that someone posted more links to this topic, I'll read through them also to gain some more knowledge

KsM715

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/70895-towing-deuce-deuce.html#post866314

All your links to towing threads are there.

When you search for something and can not find it, please post up on one of the "search help" threads (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/website-help/58151-trouble-searching.html). Someone will help you find what you are after.

Do a search for "whiffle tree"

Please carry any further discussion over the relevant threads I linked to. Better to keep all the info in 6 threads instead of 12.
Did you guys not see that part?

Clinto, I was going to suggest that you close this thread right after your post but I didnt want to add to it or bump it back to the top. Guess that was a useless idea

Might as well "STOP HERE TOO " DO NOT TIE IT OFF . Thats the best way to french fry your towbar . air you steer tires up to max and watch sharp turns as long as you make a gentle turn you are fine i have flat towde and used wreckers for many years and you dont tie that wheel . SUDDEN DEATH

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you use two rubber tarp straps to tie off the steering wheel (one on either side) the wheel will always go back to center (assuming you tied it off at center).

I towed one from Little Rock, AR to AL and never had the wheels to go wacky on me.

Oldfart

So if this thread goes somewhere else, how do I find the continued conversation? I would like to add to the thread, but ?????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My last input here. I agree that if you don't need to tie it off, don't. With that said, if you tow enough of them you will end up with a persnickety one that just won't cooperate. I've had 2 of them. One was BKubu's tan M109A3 I drug to the GA Rally 3 or so year ago and Devilman96s Diablo build. Both fought me tooth and nail every foot I drug them. I'm a patient man but I can only take so much. Both got straps on the wheel. I try not to do this and when I do, I'm considerate about what it does to the tires. I would also like to add that with over 6000 miles on my "go to" towbar, I've never had so much as lost a pin, much less bent it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks