• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing deuce with deuce

Oldfart

If this thread is koing to keep active, I will post. Jollyroger just (Thursday) flat towed an M109a3 on a recovery from Ft. Carson to Centennial. Only about 65 miles mostly on pavement. I drove a cover vehicle. While not a deuce/deuce tow, the fact the towed vehicle tracked well remains the same. We were prepared to pull the front hubs and rear axles but that was not necessary. We were anxious to clear the GL lot quickly and we found it towed OK on gravel so we just kept moving. I believe the fact the towed vehicle was missing its steering gear box and transmission to transfer shaft probably had a lot to do with allowing it to track well in tow.

Attachments

Last edited:

spicergear

I've tow bar towed 6 deuces now and never tied the wheel. I had one that wanted to turn but that was because the front tire pressure was uneven and one was lower than it looked...and an early tow experience. Pump them up hard, allow a nice turn radius and there will be no problems. I also run the heavy duty tow bar so I have more of a 'tongue' on the trailing vehicle for leverage.

emr

Just sayin , as for bungees, i have never done it, but guess it would work, as for tying off, i have over a thousand miles of deuces and more than that with a jeep behind trucks, 5 tons behind a deuce too, i never have and never would ty off a steering wheel, air up fronts like said does help the most, start out straight helps alot too :) dont drive in gravel or sand with out a steerman, I can back em in too, but really would never put that kinda strain on everything, I guess its been done, but at the unit here, i also have been with them towbarring quite a few times, and they Never would ty off a wheel, there are millions of miles at least in service doing this, there never has been a bulletin about doing this because it really should not be done, but lifting the fronts in soft surface should be ... practice and make up your own mind, but practice run em before u head out on an interstate ... good luck.... :)

Sevin7

Correct me if I am worng...
The military has procedures for this in TM's, right? Isn't that the method that probably has the most miles traveled effectively?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks