• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case adj.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Transfer case adj.

John,
iv seem most of the problems are not mechinal but in the air supply or valveing, just my thought. the m52 sounds like the air is shut off to the trans valves, thats how the 819 acts with the air switch thorwn, ron

Bidslinger

Re: RE: Re: RE: Transfer case adj.

area52 said:
I would be interested in either lockout hubs or an airshift T-case mod(or both).
Ditto! Should this subject be turned into a poll question to show how much actual interest there is?

TheBuggyman

I'm not familiar with the REB kit but I am working on a 24vdc air dump solenoid to drive my t-case to neutral in my M813. I do not expect to save any fuel unless there are lockout hubs involved but maybe it will save a LITTLE wear and tear and POSSIBLY provide a bit more power to the tandems. This may all be a moot point since almost everything is still rotating.

Comments?

m139h2otruck

Our water truck had issues with the sprag (see old posts) that we think have been cleared up by flushing (twice) and fixing all the little leaks around and on the valves and lines leading to the air shift cylinder. If this little cylinder is not working correctly, the sprag will not shift right and you will either break something inside the transfer case or at best, just get stuck. The M139 now seems to work fine, but we will keep an eye (and ear) on it this summer at the job site(s). On the other hand, the M812A1 seems to shift seamlessly and work great (to date). Have to change the oil in both the transmission and the transfer case, especially in-light of the condition of the fuel and coolant when I got it.

Many of the issues that are discussed on the board seem to be related to lubrication or the lack of it. As many have said before, oil is a lot easier to change than an engine (or transmission/transfer case/rear gear/etc.).
Thanks for listening

Transfer control

Similar control for the transfer on the 5-ton as the air shift on the 2-1/2. Just dumps the air and the transfer is in netural. See location on Squirt (picture following) Same thing Ron is refering to. Well worth the effort, even allows you to let the truck roll back some without winding up the front end....

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this mod only lets you have a forward sprag? Then what if you want reverse sprag we would need another air switch? I like the Idea but seems like we need both forward and reverse valves/switches.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Similar control for the transfer on the 5-ton as the air shift on the 2-1/2. Just dumps the air and the transfer is in netural. See location on Squirt (picture following) Same thing Ron is refering to. Well worth the effort, even allows you to let the truck roll back some without winding up the front end....
would not this be where we need a three way air valve?

housemover

I have a bad valve on my 818 and have been wondering if a 3 way valve would work? Middle neutral one way for forward other direction for reverse. I have read where guys have used 2 seperate valves but seems more complicated to me but I'm sure theres a reason for the 2 valves.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bad valve on my 818 and have been wondering if a 3 way valve would work? Middle neutral one way for forward other direction for reverse. I have read where guys have used 2 seperate valves but seems more complicated to me but I'm sure theres a reason for the 2 valves.

Do believe a three way would be the way to go just don't let anyone drive the truck if they don't know whats been changed and how to drive.

What is your air valve doing on the trans that makes it bad. I just posted a thread( flip flop) that has the air leaking out the trans valve exhaust when it is in neutral or forward gear but that is realy the transfer case cyl. leaking back through the copper line to the trans popet valve exhaust. That means transfer cyl. needs rebuilt.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So this mod only lets you have a forward sprag? Then what if you want reverse sprag we would need another air switch? I like the Idea but seems like we need both forward and reverse valves/switches.
No with the air cut off, the sprag is in neutral no forward or reverse, I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT FIRST HAND :oops:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
this air cutoff is a MWO, but does not seem to be a very high on (like do it now)the importance list, I have seen a few 5Ts with it, most not

A old MVmag (maybe 12 years ago) had a write up on the MWO, that is where I got the info

Last edited:

housemover

Do believe a three way would be the way to go just don't let anyone drive the truck if they don't know whats been changed and how to drive.

What is your air valve doing on the trans that makes it bad. I just posted a thread( flip flop) that has the air leaking out the trans valve exhaust when it is in neutral or forward gear but that is realy the transfer case cyl. leaking back through the copper line to the trans popet valve exhaust. That means transfer cyl. needs rebuilt.

Not sure what is bad but with truck shut of in neutral air is leaking out trans valve. In a couple minutes it'll drain tanks but it's not noticable driving it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at post 27 and it looks like a valve out of a Deuce. I understand that this will work but would but it seems like we would need three way not two way like in the post.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what is bad but with truck shut of in neutral air is leaking out trans valve. In a couple minutes it'll drain tanks but it's not noticable driving it.
Does it stop when you put it in reverse. This like I said would not be the trans popet valves but the transfer cylinder. You can double check my work by takeing off the forward looking copper line at the trans and you should feel air comming out the line from the transfer case cyl.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was looking at post 27 and it looks like a valve out of a Deuce. I understand that this will work but would but it seems like we would need three way not two way like in the post.
Tthere is only ONE air supply line to the trans air valves so a deuce xcase air shift air switch works, that is what is on the 819, though not mounted on the dash YET.

Hammer

Yeah, basically the air switch just cuts off air too the entire transfer case setup.
Which puts the sprage in the neutral position.
If you engage the air switch, it just supplies air to the valves, lets the original valves work like stock/normal for forward and reverse.
Clear as mud?