• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgraded deuce's tires to Goodyear G177 11.00R20s (dualed)

rustystud

I don't get why people have to change things that work well to begin with. must have too much money?? each to their own I guess.
If I had the money to spare, I would go with some 395's myself ! I understand the "keep it stock" thing also. Since the truck was designed to use 9.00X20 tires any larger tires will stress the whole drivetrain, but if the person is not going offroad and mainly drives on pavement why not go with taller tires ! I like the look of a deuce with the larger tires on it myself. Since I bought a lot of twenty 9.00X20 tires I'm pretty much wedded to them for awhile. But if I win the Lotto then all bets are off and I'm getting those larger tires !
In the end though it's his truck and he can do with it as he pleases. This is still America !

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping this thread because I just updated Post #29 on Page 3 with the calculations to show how accurate speedometer readings will be for a deuce running Goodyear G177 11.00R20s both with the stock 1:187 and 1:200 adapter.

I believe I've also determined the proper speedometer adapter for deuces running 395's.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...20s-(dualed)&p=1766953&viewfull=1#post1766953

Please let me know if I've made mathematical sins.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great with the larger tires. I'll probably be due for tires this time next year and you have me thinking about moving up to 11in tires....thanks for all the information.

Jeepsinker

Velence, the 5 ton adapters do fit the deuce transfer case. I have one that came off of an 817 on mine, and with worn 11.00 NDTs it seems to read 3-5 mph fast on the speedometer.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Velence, the 5 ton adapters do fit the deuce transfer case.
To be specific, the M809 series 5 ton speedometer adapters fit on the deuce transfercase

Thanks!

Velence, the 5 ton adapters do fit the deuce transfer case. I have one that came off of an 817 on mine, and with worn 11.00 NDTs it seems to read 3-5 mph fast on the speedometer.
Question, do you mean they read 3-5 mph faster than the stock adapter or the reading is 3-5mph faster than your actual speed?

Jeepsinker

It reads faster than actual speed. Verified by Welldigger with GPS well before my engine swap and overdrive install. None of that changes the speedometer reading though, as it reads from the transfer case.

Looks like once I get my G177s put on it will be fairly close, as per your research.

The Stig

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear ya, zero findings for me as well, besides me trying to use a tachometer as a speedometer adapter. rofl
You can read the hilarity here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ing-Gear-Oil&p=1780386&viewfull=1#post1780386

Basically, Big Mike's Motor Pool did find from his supplier an adapter with the 1:200 NSN. The problem is that the NSN states "Speedometer-Tachometer". Yes, I tried installing it. Yes it did fit, but not the greatest, and it drove my speedometer backwards. The needle stayed at zero but the mileage rolled backwards. After discovering my error, I took an electric drill to the end of the cable and spun the speedometer the correct direction (about 20 "miles" worth - the which is "reverse" on the drill) so I'd be back to about where I should have been after the test drive. So if you do find a 1:200 adapter, have it visually confirmed to be a speedometer adapter and not a tachometer adapter!

I plan to investigate the possibility of having the stock adapter re-geared to "make" a 1:200 adapter. It sounds like an expensive venture, but we'll see.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I bought mine on eBay for about $50 shipped. I don't see any available now. My next try would be White Owl in North Carolina.

I've checked my speedo against a GPS speedo app and it's within a mile an hour of accurate with my G177s.

Jeepsinker

Valence, remove the gears from the tachometer drive housing, and install them in an old speedometer adapter housing. That should transpose the gears so they rotate the proper direction, if I'm visualizing it properly.

The Stig

Valence, remove the gears from the tachometer drive housing, and install them in an old speedometer adapter housing. That should transpose the gears so they rotate the proper direction, if I'm visualizing it properly.

Ive considered this as well. There is a speedometer service shop near where I work. Have always had good luck with them in the past I may go by and pick the owners brain on this one to see if its something he could modify.

As far as swapping from one to another are the gears for the tach not cut a different direction hence it running backwards. Wouldn't swapping them into the other housing still have the same issue? I'm trying to visualize the internals but to me it seems it would produce the same results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks