• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105a2 Help Needed

tklm539

I was hoping for some help.

I just purchased a 11/2 ton trailer from GL in Newport RI. The add says that it measures 6'9'' wide. Does anyone know if that is the frame (box) or the wheel base? Problem is my trailer that I will bring it home on is 6' between the rails.

Should I also assume that without the hydraulics hooked up the parking brake remains on and the 105 will need to be winched up on my transport trailer?

Last one (for now) anyone know where I can get a canvas cover for it?

Thanks
Tom

tklm539

If I were to add a pintle hitch to the back of a jeep cherokee, rather than load it on a trailer, how out of wack would it be. I have a 4 hour trip. I am thinking that the jeep hitch will be way to low.

Tom

tklm539

If I were to add a pintle hitch to the back of a jeep cherokee, rather than load it on a trailer, how out of wack would it be. I have a 4 hour trip. I am thinking that the jeep hitch will be way to low.

Tom

ojsdna744

If you flipped the hitch set-up around so it actually raised up the hitch instead of dropped it, you'd be fine. (watch when opening the tailgate) While it is a heavy trailer, you'll be within the towing weight when the trailer is empty. Don't forget some sort of magnetic trailer lights so you have lights for the beast! :D

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom:
I picked up a M105 a week ago with my son's Montero(no taller than a Jeep), no problem at all, looked a little funny, so low in the front but ran fine. I think I have a photo, will post later.
James G.

ida34

I got a gen trailer with my cucv and had no problems. It is a M103 and was heavier than the m105 with the two gens on it.

tklm539

How rigid is GL on pickup dates, they want it within 14 days. If you could pick it up 2 weeks later it would be much easier. Is it worth asking?

If this will roll without hooking up the brakes, I think I will do that rather than load it on a trailer.

Last question: where is a good spot to get a pintle hook that can go in a 2� receiver hole. I am hoping there is something that will allow me to lift the hitch up from its present location.

Thanks

papercu

Help

You can also find them at a place that sells farm equipment or you can order on line here is one place I use http://www.agri-supply.com/
When I first started moving military trailers I had a welder made a adapter so I could move them with the two inch ball on my bumper.
You can call to check on pickup extension, each place is different. Wayne

RICE670

Tom, I am located in moriah center and have a 105. You are welcome to stop by and check out your towing set up.
regards scott

NEIOWA

I pull a M105 w/powerplant (2x 5kw genset) with a C2500 crew. Hitch is also way low and rig looks stupid with the trailer nose down 20degrees but pulls fine at 60mph.

Note that the adjustment range (up/down) on the landing wheel will NOT get the hitch down to pintle level. And a loaded 1.5t trailer tongue weight is more than you're going to manhandle. Go prepared with a jack and wood blocks so you can support the tongue while you fold up the landing wheel. Or use an M-1 forklift.

mhb285

Just make sure the hydralic brakes aren't hanging up. I pulled mine about 45 miles, stoped and checked things ont and the trailer drums were "warm" not hot. I backed it up a little and they released. I checked 50 miles later and they were stone cold.
I towed mine with a Dodge 1500 from Barstow to my yard 150miles...
got the magnetic 12v lights, pintle adapter from NAPA $$$.
Mike

littlebob

Check out thread on chemical shelter trailers. I pulled one 500m at 70-75 with my 1/2 ton Suburban. I had a little problem with my transmission overheating beacuse the Shelter equipment weighs as much as the trailer. The thread also shows the hitch I got from northern.
Good Luck,
littlebob

Blythewoodjoe

I hate to rain on your parade, but that's what I do most of the time.

Pulling a M105 with a civilian hitch is not always easy. I have pulled several with my F250 and have found that with the trailer lower the ring is not parallel to the road. The ring is so thick on the 105 that as you turn it tends to bind at that angle. Just make sure your pintel is large enough so you have enough room for it to slide around as you turn. This may not be obvious when you are hooking it up directly behind the truck, but try to unhook one at an angle and you will see what I mean. You don't want to snap the hitch loose from your truck or bend your receiver hitch. One solution would be a hitch that could rotate like a large truck hitch but I have never seen one for a receiver (I do hope that isn't what is talked about above).

Just being my paranoid self,
Joe Trapp

papercu

hitch

bend your receiver hitch
If you bend a class III hitch you are hauling a lot more than a empty M105, the truck frame will bend first. (I Know!)

Joe Are you using a civilian pintle hitch or a military one? Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks