• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105a2 Help Needed

Blythewoodjoe

Re: hitch

I have a civilian pintle. I have several military ones that are small and look just like the standard civilian hitch. I don't know if any of the small ones are better suited than others.

tklm539

Thanks for all the help. I spoke with GL and have worked out the pickup time. I decided, that I will pull it home rather than transport it on a flatbed trailer.

Does anyone know how high the tongue of the trailer needs to be in order to be pulled correctly? As I look at that picture, I would seem to me, that I could some additional steel to the hitch adapter to get the height where it should be. It would kill opening the trunk, but who cares, I will have a trailer!

Thanks

Blythewoodjoe

Danger Will Robinson!! I feel it important to point out that the M105 has the heaviest tongue weight of any trailer I have ever lifted by hand. My testicles and lower back will no longer allow my brain to over ride them and let me lift one from the ground.

Two stories: First my middle finder on my right hand is bigger than the other one. I was unloading a 105 from a trailer and allowed the ring to pin my finger between it and the front of the tow trailer. I had a glove on so it didn't remove any meat. It crushed it pretty good and it stayed swollen for weeks.

Second: I had a 105 behind my Ford last summer (Clint, it was your trailer) and I was in a hurry to unhook. Certain body parts would not let the other body parts lift it. I has just put on a new bathing suit (I swim about once every two years) and thought I would take a large pry bar and lift it off the pintle and let it hit the ground. The weight of the tongue and the leverage of the pry bar removed the pry bar from my hands. As it slammed the end to the ground it caught my swim suit and ripped it from the waist to the bottom of the leg. There my package was exposed but still intact. Very grateful for that. Another inch or so and I would be called Miss Trapp.

Joe Trapp

tklm539

Ok last question about the trailer,

I got the pintle and reciever plate installed on the Jeep. I am looking at 24" at the bottom of the pintle hook.

I know 36" is the mark for level, will this look funny and work at 24" or will it look funny and end up breaking loose and passing me on the Mass. Pike?

Any advice would be appreciated
Tom

mangus580

If this helps....

My father in law sold a 105 trailer, with the 10kw diesel genset on it to a guy in like Montana.... The guy showed up in CT with an isuzu trooper!!!! and towed it all the way home with no trouble. He said the thing looked crazy silly....

herc69

Hey, Tom. Just a note to let you know what we do. Ferro tows his 105 behind his Dodge 2500 with the tongue about 24". The trailer looks funny, with the tailgate almost above the roof, but it tracks well. Lowering the tailgate will definitely help your mpg, too. Slow and careful should get you home. I am gonna tow a M109A3 within the next month with my Dodge 2500, and will also be SLOW and CAREFUL.
Good Luck

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
All I got to say is look at my pic. You will be fine if you take it slow and carefull. Make sure you have marker lights that you can mount. Yes I scared myself driving home especially thru DC rush hours traffic. Also carefull about those tall rise pintle adapters as the extra length makes them easier to twist and bend.

Attachments

papercu

Help

It will look funny but who cares. as for breaking loose, it shouldn't but none of us know what you are using: Class III hitch, bumper pull etc. etc.
In most cases as long as the hitch or bumper is not dragging on the ground and all the bolts are tight you should be good.
Don't forget to check the air in the tires and if it has sit for a while it may be a bit bumpy for a few miles. Good luck, Wayne

tklm539

Thanks all. Photos really helped set my mind at ease. I think mine falls somewhere between the Volvo and the Ford?.

Thanks again. I will put up a picture when I pick it up

Tom

tklm539

Thanks all. Photos really helped set my mind at ease. I think mine falls somewhere between the Volvo and the Dodge.

Thanks again. I will put up a picture when I pick it up

Tom

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy crap diesel is $3.09 in that pic! But serously.I brought my 105 home behind a 1991 chevy S-10 with a 4 banger. These trailors track better than any trailor i've ever pulled. Thay are heavy and like to push when braking. Just give yourself alot of extra space for stopping untill you get used to it. Good luck!