• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom Trailer Axles (M105)

Xterratuff

I have an M105 trailer and I do not have a Duece. So to make the trailer a little more manageable, I am replacing the axle with a smaller axle and tires. Sounds simple, but after numerous visits to the local trailer shops none of them could or would find a smaller axle for me. I did find a place on the internet that would though.

www.abctrailerparts.com

For around 200 bucks I've got a 5200lb axle being custom made and shipped to me here in VA. The company is out of Northern AL.

The only catch is they will not give the 1 year warranty on it because on the M105 the spring centers are so far away from the hub face.

The trailer weighs 2400 lbs empty as is. I'm taking a lot of weight off the trailer with the smaller axle and the most I'll be carrying in it is 2 Harley's which would be a total of 1500 pounds at the most.

I would hope the 5200 lb axle would hold up to that even if the spring centers are that far away from the hub face.

What do you guys think?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be fine. The wheels and tires you're stripping off weight around 340# total. The axle with drums should be around 400# and the brake parts could be another 40 or 50#. By the time you put the 5200# axle in I'd say you are still loosing 400# or more.

JeremySmith

I'm glad I saw this - I'm getting ready to do a similar hack job. I'm ditching everything but the frame and box. I'll be welding up a subframe to mount new springs/brakes/axle to. I'm hoping to drop the bed height a touch, and run 33" tires to match my jeep. A little lift on the jeep, and I should be running level.

I should have my subframe design finalized next week some time, if anyone cares to see

JeremySmith

I'd thought about just doing smaller tires to drop it - but the thing needs to go on a diet! Trailer brakes will be nice, common bearing is a plus, and two more available spares are always nice on a road trip. I'll have to check again, but I think all it will actually lower it is a couple inches. I was going to drop it more, but chances are after I lift the jeep I'll up the size on the trailer tires to match the larger ones slated for the truck. I was just going to scrap the thing, but started poking at it last weekend, and by Sunday I'd stripped the topsides, and repainted it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't it be alot easier to just get a M1101? or an A2 and have brakes??

JeremySmith

Easy is overrated - Got the trailer on trade, and its the right size for what I want. And I'll have an excuse to do a little weldiing. Gimpy - my axles still there, as is most of the brake stuff - I'll try to get pics of whats there. I can bring it down as far as Richmond sometime this summer, after that you'd be on your own. I was going to scrap it, but if you can use it, be my guest.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I call second in line for parts that gimpyrobb does not want and you are getting rid of. I don't suppose you are talking about being as far south as Richmond, Va :?:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Shoot, thats only about an hour from me! PM me when you get ready to head down, I'll buy a beer or two AT LEAST. :)

Blythewoodjoe

I gotta chime in. Here's what I have done and it sounds like it will be what some of you are looking for. By the way I have 4 M105's.

take the "bed" from your M105 and set it to the side. Take the frame, lights and everything lower and set them to the side for the day you get a deuce to pull it with. Take two pieces of 3" channel iron for the main runners and a piece of 3" square tubing for the center frame. You space the 3" channel out to match the springs on a nice new 3500 pound axle that is the right width to make the tires center in the fender wells of your M105 body. Weld all this together and bolt the body to the new frame. Put what every hitch and lights you want for your everyday use.

The advantages to this:

You still have all the stuff for a good M105 should you decide you need to put it back together one day. You also have a trailer that will ride very nicely and not bounce you guts out empty. You can adjust the height by putting the new springs above or below the new axle very easily and by using bigger or smaller wheels and tires. This is also a very light weight trailer to move around by your self.

If anyone that has never made a trailer before would like to see all this, I am putting an axle under an old rusty M101 bed right now. I also have a M105 bed I did this to about 15 years ago that I can take pictures of if anyone what's to see what that would look like. Hey, you gotta do what serves your purpose best. And it is always nice to leave things in an easy to reassemble condition.

Joe Trapp

JeremySmith

gimpyrobb said:
Shoot, thats only about an hour from me! PM me when you get ready to head down, I'll buy a beer or two AT LEAST. :)
Make that Vodka Vanilla Cokes - and it's a deal! This m105 has been well used, and is pretty banged up. When I get a duece (or better), I can pick up a surplus one for a few hundred bucks - actually am watching a few right now. Anyone see the stacks of m105 body's in Ga on govliquidations?

I used a dana 70 dually axle with the 72" WMS (wheel mounting surface). They came on large box trucks. It bolted right in with the perches moved and new Ubolts. Total cost of the conversion about $250.00 (trailer was $180 though GL)

I have 1" clearance on the inner tires-removed the upper overload springs, and redrilled the u bolt plates. I hauled 7000 pounds of gravel in it and it was completely level with my HMMWV and also level with my tahoe 2" raised pintle hitch.

Plus-4 tires now-they only stick out 1" past the stock fenders.

I will grab a pic if you guys are interested.

The whole key is finding the wider 72" WMS dually axle. They aslo made a wide 14 bolt and wide Dana 60 dually as well. Most are only 63, 65 and 67 WMS.

Oh-by the way-free axle and free tire and wheel if you want to pick it up in hayes VA 23072 (30 miles north of VA beach) My buddy took one tire for a spare.

armysurpguy

I call second in line for parts that gimpyrobb does not want and you are getting rid of. I don't suppose you are talking about being as far south as Richmond, Va :?:
I just got my M105A2 and will be removing all the underside. I live in NC, about 2 hr drive to Richmond. When I get my new axle in, I could sell them to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks