• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTV door handle

Deven534

Im trying to find a door handle for my M1083A1 MTV. its the newer style MTVs. its tan in color. i have already looked in the 365, 366, and 477 parts manuals for the older mtvs but those have a different style door handle which opens when you pull up, but the one i need, you pull from the side, not up. Can someone please tell me which parts manual i should be looking for? I need the NSN for the door handle. Thanks in advance!!

DSD277

The SS / BAE series of FMTVs have 2 different types of door hardware. I've been looking for spares for my trucks and only found a few limited number of parts on flea bay.;) Sellers generally only know that it goes to a FMTV from the NSN and are totally lost after that.
These trucks were made under license from Steyr, model# 12M18. The early door hardware would be European, and if I was frantic for it, I'd have one of my friends in Europe find it there... and expect a price to got with it ( I've had a lonnnng history of SDP vehicles:D)
Also, almost everything on the FMTV are metric except the US military lighting components.

There are some body parts that seem to be hensteeth to find and get. Everything on the running gear is US and commercially available

Dave

Attachments

DSD277

I don't have any knowledge on the newer exterior handles BUT very much doubt any of the US door handles are compatible. Other than the there are probably exemptions for military use, the slam latches in Gimpyrobb pic have not been DOT approved since 1972ish for passenger compartments, and the SD Brazos would probabably not use a different latch than the FMTVs, because they must be DOT. Try calling a SD Brazos dealer or factory for the Brazos

Deven534

20131204_092934.jpgthis is a picture of the door handle i am in need of, mounting tabs broke on it. as u can see, it does have a lock in it....DSD277, so your saying these door handles are not available since they haven't been DOT approved yet?

DSD277

Do you have a pic of the other side of the latch? Or the edge of the door. Slam locks aren't DOT legal. If the later FMTV used them, they are what they are...
As I first said, I haven't seen the new handle assemblies firsthand.
The original style is an "anti-burst" style which means the door can't pop open in case of an accident, where the slam locks can,
Unfortunately, I don't have the newer part manual to know what they are , but would think they are commercially available

DSD277

As expected, especially after getting the last pdf.
I haven't looked but the exterior handle may be the same as used on some big rigs like a Kenworth or Peterbuilt.
The rest of the door hardware is the same as earlier versions of FMTVs

sgtinf

the lock part of the handle is a camper lock manufacture there's a number on the silver cylinder thats tm202 take it to a bigger camping vichlec center and see what you can find I just looked at a handle/lock today. I was quite surprised to see that they used it.

sgtinf

trimark is the manufacture I was thinking of. if you google them a lot of pics of there plunger style will show up Like the pic gimpyrobb posted If you keep looking you'll find the style that moves the linkage rods. you may want to contact a trimark dealer. its work a try. also if you need a key for the lock I got you covered.

DSD277

With that manufacturer I found 2 likely lock models. Both used on big rigs. Check your dimension against yours. The 030-0850 is FMVSS approved
Unfortunately, I didn't see a replacement for the earlier trucks. But they would have used a handle readily available to Steyr in Austria.

Attachments

TehTDK

DSD277,

I have a slam lock that can't open on itself unless you pull the handle from the outside. And I live in europe in case anyone needs me to dig around these parts for stuff :p

DSD277

The FMTVs were built under license from Steyr and were pretty much DOT compliant with the " anti-burst" type locks, so any slam type lock is out of the question.
Though it is possible that the handle could have been used on a Volvo, knowing how Steyr, SDP, Puch would usually contract with a German company back then for parts,
hence my searches usually start with VW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche and BMW. On this side of the pond, most don't know the G Wagons themself and the conversions
for the VW 4x4 Syncro were made by Puch... so a lot of back scratching.
Fortunately for me, the handles are low on my priority list, as I was able to rework my existing one. But I do keep them in the back of my mind. ;)

TehTDK

Do you want an exact replacement according to the pdf listed or have you decided to not bother. Because I think I have seen that kind of door handle before over here where I live :)

DSD277

I got so many pdfs listed, I need to be specific to which I need.:grin:
I am keeping an eye open for the handles in post#2. Actually any of the hardware that goes to the lock/latch mechanism for spares. If I had to, I could upgrade to the newer handle and make new connecting rods.
And like a fool, I'm looking at more LMTVs.:lol:
Im just a glunten for punishment.

Last edited:

TehTDK

DSD, looks like Eberhard, has the handle you might be looking for if you are still looking for that handle from the first PDF.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks