• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Toy-1996 BMY M923a2

Lurch79

I recently purchased a 96 M923a2. I love the truck but I am not impressed with its power. I was told it has an 8.3 litre with an Allison 5 speed. I have been doing research for days trying to find information on how to give it more power. I have found posting on various sites about different options ranging from sliding fuel plate to installing larger turbo and etc. I would like to start by sliding or replacing the fuel plate but my problem lies in my ignorance of diesel engines (Particularly this one). I have no idea where the fuel plate is located. I have watched a ton of videos online but all are based on dodge pickups which are set up nothing like my truck. I have gathered the information on how to slide it if I had any idea where it is. I have also tried to determine which pump is used on my truck. I have found a lot of power mods for Bosch P7100 pumps but the pics I have compared mine to online do not look exactly the same. If anyone can shed light on any of this I promise to put down my crayons and listen.
:jumpin:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness. You can down load the 923 manuals from this site. That will be the first thing . Then come with questions . If I knew how I would be glad to help.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not good with searching but gave it a try. I typed in fuel plate 8.3 Cummins and came up with tons of posts on this subject.

Lurch79

I was just informed by another member that I actually have an MW pump not an p pump. That ends my search for a fuel plate because it doesn't have one. I am going to continue searching for more power up options.

mcmullag

this is minor but.... the a2's were built for 4 years, from 1989 to 1992 by BMY a division of Harsco. you mentioned 1996. Remember the thing weighs 10.5 tons empty so that is a lot of weight to get a mov'in quickly. I am in no hurry when driving my military trucks.

Lurch79

I operate a small tree service and I am using mine to deliver firewood. It goes plenty fast as is. I need it to pull better. I live in the mountains and it falls flat on hills even empty.

A few adjustment on the fuel pump and your good to go it doesn't make it no race car but it sure helps it getting out of it's own way. Oh it does make it pull the hills alot better just get your self a pyro gauge these motors can get pretty high on the egts nothing that is going to blow it up but i like to stay under 1350 deg.

Last edited:

Lurch79

I am going to turn the screws on it within the next few days. I am going to open the exhaust up by adding an 8" stack. I may eventually upgrade the turbo and injectors on it. Are their any improvements that can be made on the air intake system?

First be very careful adding to much HP to these trucks the transfercase can't handle to much over stock, I would just adjust the fuel screws and running a straight pipe and anything you can do to help the air get in the motor never hurts.

61sleepercab

Most gain people get is by turning fuel up, more boost psi and trying higher RPM. Exhaust gas temperature gauge is a must since you are turning engine from diesel to blow torch . It does not take long to cook the top out of a piston when turned up. Mack injector pump used to have warning tag that when you turn up the pump like 5% then you lost 20 or 25% engine life. Mack engines were said to stand one foot of flame out the top of the stack for a little while until bad things happened.

Check fuel filter as a B model Mack of mine had a stopped up filter and after a change,truck had darker smoke and faster petal responce. Mark

Lurch79

I am going to drive it a while after doing the turn up and exhaust. I think if I make it sound as beastly as it looks. I want to spend money on a new set tires and a winch before spending fortune on engine mods.

F18hornetM

In my experience with [loaded]medium duty trucks, Cat, Detroit, Ford and Cummins engines. None of them are a ball of fire. They will all get the job done, but not at a fast pace.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few adjustment on the fuel pump and your good to go it doesn't make it no race car but it sure helps it getting out of it's own way. Oh it does make it pull the hills alot better just get your self a pyro gauge these motors can get pretty high on the egts nothing that is going to blow it up but i like to stay under 1350 deg.
1350* is putting the pistons at risk of melting , aluminum alloy melts at 1240*. I would stay under 1200*.

I guess I should of said spiking 1350, not holding it at 1350 but from what I have read not that I would do it is they can substain 1350 egts but again I wouldn't do it, That is why I have a pyro gauge to keep a eye on the egts and keep them as low as possible but when excelerating you have no choice but to watch them climb quick till they level out and start dropping again.

61sleepercab

I made a trip to Iowa from WV in a Cummings powdered Dodge with a egt guage and you could use egt like a vacume guage driving a gas truck. You learn to feather fuel peddal a little and keep speed with less egt and fuel used. We could get 25 mpg on a ton truck by adding a quart of transmission fluid and Hailes ? fuel treatment. Mark

F18hornetM

You got to remember these engines were designed to run hard as set up with some 18 yr old behind the wheel and run on and on and on. You can modify how you like , its yours of course. I'm just saying they are tough as is. I know from experience, had the same M813 in my platoon for 2 1/2 years. All desert running. I ran it wide open most all the time. [ I was 18 then] , paid no attention to tach at all. The truck never broke. Not even once. That 250 Cummins owed uncle Sam nothing for sure. Guess I'm saying have fun with them, just don't expect a funny car motor. After working on trucks for 30 years, mine are treated like babies now. Good luck and have fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks