• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2005 dodge 5.9 H.O.for repower

hot rod deuce

Hey guys i got a line the prime time deuce motor. a 2005 dodge cummins with the 6 speed and the transfer case! i can buy it for $5,000 if the deal goes through and when i look at it its what he says it is. only 5 miles on it he says(we'll see) comes with everything alt.starter,turbo,ECM, trany and transfer the thing is 310 HP and 610 FT.Lbs of muscle. the banks guy says 800 FT lbs is cheap and easy! ...think its worth checking into?...has a big overdrive i think.

holiwood

about 2 weeks ago there was a duce sold on EBay by a state surplus agency that had been repowered with big block mopar motor. anybody remember that? Holiwood

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since swaps are the talk, is the DT-466 too long to fit easily in the deuce engine compartment? When I put together the knuckle boom truck, repowering is a possibility. I'd like to stay away from the V-8s if I can.

hot rod deuce

The 466 is a great motor but it think size would be an issue. lookaround on the net im sure there are dimensions some where. Ill be makin a trip to the local Intntl' truck shop for parts, if they have a 466 ill get some sizes. Weight is the biggest thing that would make me look else where. Im big on power to weight ratio. lighter weight trucks break less as a rule so if you can take 300-400lbs of the motor the front axle will hold up much better. then a gain i guess thats not as big of an issue for you guys as it is me. Other than that i think its a great idea even greater would be a 9,10, 13, 15,or18 speed gear box to go with it. Now all we need is some one with a 6-71 detroit and i think we got all main brands covered.

Dieselsmoke

I've been doing some measuring and thinking about dropping a 24 valve 5.9 in my deuce. The fit is pretty much perfect and since the motor I have came out of a diesel pusher motorhome the mounts line right up which is sweet. I'm also going to throw in a 6 speed Allison tranny. Aybody got a lead on the shifter and tower from a M35A3?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was afriad to metion the screamin detroit! I got a buddy that hotrods the detroits and has a 3-53 in a chevy blazer. The sound of a screamin detroit in a deuce somewhat intrigues me. Maybe even a 6V53. Hmmm!!!! Gotta love that 2 stroke power.

Desert Rat

SG,
Is that a mechanical IH or computerized? I'm trying to avoid computers on my equipment I don't use on a daily basis. Sensors and computers like to be used frequently or kick you hard in the wallet.

spicergear

They've been around since the early 80's so I'd spek-a-late that there should be an early version that's all mechanical. EFI for diesels ain't an early 80's thing.

hot rod deuce

its kinda long. dont forget the after cooler, its like 6 whole inches longer than a 5.9. It will go but your goona halfta work for it by the time you get a good size radiator and aftercooler. I dont think i have another 6 inches to spare with the cummins, not a big deal but your goona halfta look at the fire wall with a cutting device i think. It just on the borderline.

http://www.cmdmarine.com/PDFs/4081898_1104.pdf

heres the one some one needs.....275 hp 850 Ft lbs and 359 cubes

Trango

guys

Be careful on the long motors if you want to keep the stock transfer case... I am very intimate with this right now. I just hardmounted the 3208 and the Spicer 6855 last night and I will have VERY little room for the radiator. The long inline 6's are great, but when you put a real tranny in there, the lengths get really critical. I also wonder how much torque the 3053A can really handle - the guy I sold my motor to kept saying that he had a problem with guys ripping the 2nd gears out with quick, clutch drops on the STOCK LDT and even while the vehicle was moving!!

BTW 5k for that motor is so killer. My friend's dad just got a similar deal for 12k!!!!! And if you think that the typical price differential from the dealer for a diesel truck OVER a gas truck in the cummins series is about $7k, you are getting a RIPPING DEAL!

Ok I have to get motivated and pull off that 6855 and bellhousing. The clutch parts should be here Tuesday to mate everything up.

Oh yeah I ended up having to outboard the steering. Yet one more thing to F'ing deal with.

Bob

Trango

Oh yeah, spicer, don't fret about that only being 466 cu in. I know you're sort of joking, but you can hop up those IH DT466's to INSANE levels of power. I'd dare say 3053-splitting power. ;)

BTW if anyone wants a spreadsheet that shows tire sizes and tranny OD ratios and their end result on final speed, send me an email to racecadet@yahoo.com

Bob

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they ever use the DT as a tractor motor? If the Hypermax clan and others into tractor pulling have had their hands on the DT, watch out.

spicergear

Trango, out board steering huh? Exhaust manifold too close to the outer tube of the steering column? Check out this top view of mine. A couple of things have changed like upper hose and radiator location is now moved back since the 20K Garwood, but the motor's never moved.

If you look closely you can see that I have it slightly pushed to the passenger side. I also have the steering column outer tube dimpled/relieved to give me just a little more room as well. Yeah, these trucks ain't never saw a design for a V style engine. Oh, I had to change THAT valve cover gasket a few weeks ago...whew, that was tight one!!! Had to gently spring the injector line down 1/8" to clear lower rail of cover. Doesn't mark it's territory quite so much now. [:)]

Trango

so you're saying that I didn't need to cut the steering shaft inches down from the firewall? :)

ach.

I wasn't able to figure out how to keep it so I sh1tcanned it. The box I have from the ford L8000 is VERY slow ratio. It will be very interesting to see how I'll need to do this.

In fact, would anyone be able to help me with something? Could someone measure the back to forth action of the bottom of the pitman from lock to lock and count how many revolutions of the wheel it comes out to? I am going to graft the draglink from the ford into the one from the deuce (I have a spare one from a set of rockwells), but I think I'll have to cut and shorten the pitman arm on the ford box.

Oh yeah, and one of the mounts is way off the frame. The ford box is made for a 10" frame and uses every inch of it. That means I'll be putting the bottom one of the three mounts well below the frame. Time to suck in some more burning CARC. :(

Seriously if someone could measure the number of turns lock to lock and then the front to back of the bottom of the pitman arm that would be so excellent.

Thanks
Bob

hot rod deuce

i probably wouldnt wory bout the stock steering box travel but rather just jack up the front and mesure the move ment of the arm on the axle. BABS steering in california knows everything about steering but will only sell new parts in kits and not just a pump or just a box or just an arm but they will answer any questions. ask for bill. I used a Saginaw metric because it is small and came with my motor. it was a box to mount out side but i stuck it inside. Its the same box as that melenium reo thingy. The box comes in 2 ratios 4 turns lock to lock and 6 turns. i have a 1993 GMC Topkick LoPro with the ideal box and it has a single lung aircompresor with a thru-drive to the P/s Pump on a 3116 cat. the metric box is also a nice fit on there. The 8000 box will be plenty big and bulky but you have it so its worth working with. heres a link to my P/S set up and ill get some of the GMC for you too.

http://www.imageevent.com/tabs/armytruck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks