• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2005 dodge 5.9 H.O.for repower

DUUANE

the mack midliner series trucks use a sheppard stearing gear that mounts outside the frame.the box mounts to a huge bracket that bolts to the rail.this positions the pitman arm inboard with about 1" clearance to the frame rail.the gear is great ...the bracket being for a cabover isnt quite there.with a little steelfab you might be able to avoid altering the frame rail too much.

i'll get some pics if anyones interested.

Trango

Thanks guys, but as HRD says, I am going to keep the L8000 box, because, well, I have it. I guess I'll just jack up my junk myself and measure the fore and aft of the draglink.

I rebuilt the Spicer 6855 last night. Man, is it cool to see that mainshaft spin at 31% Overdrive when I kick the 4th/5th synchro into overdrive gear and spin the input by hand. I should have the clutch parts by wednesday, and then I can stick this tranny back behind the engine... will be alot heavier at that point (I used the bare aluminum housing to mock up the location of the output flange). I hope to have this thing driving and in the exhaust shop by Monday morning (use the weekend to get everything dialed).

Sorry about the thread hijack - I think a CTD HO powered deuce would crush it. With a little bombing courtesy of banks or other, the sweet black chuff coming out of the stack would be great as that CTD just threw the deuce down the highway.

Bob

hot rod deuce

Sorry bout not messuring the throw for ya but...i aint got a stock box to get it from and i dont wana through a curve in you set up with my odd ball crap. happy jacking none the less.

I dunno bout that 5.9 H.O. on e bay, its like the guy keeps ignoring me when i tell him i want to pick it up and he keeps sending e mails saying that he will "ship" it when he recieves the payment....NO! you will get your cash when i can look at the motor on your floor! I think its a scam he keeps pushing me to go through ebay insurance almost looks like e bay might get scamed.

Are these spicer gear boxes hard to find? My dad just bought my Eaton RTO 613 i found....whole truck 3208, 13 speed over 600# box and SQ-100 rears for 500 bucks [complaining] well i guess he needs a cheap overdrive too. But i'm not sure if i want that big 13 speed clunk anyway. have you any guess what your spicer box might weigh?

I like my threads hijacked..they always end up intesting that way

Trango

Sweet. Happy to hijack.

The 6855 Spicer was a real devil to find. I had to track one down in Nebraska. It weighs about 350 lbs. I think it might have been out of an old 5 ton, possibly Mil truck.

Bob

Trango

I chose it because of the .69 OD.

My requirement was a 6000-series spicer 5 speed with the .69 OD, since I had my doubts about the 3053A handling that much torque, and I figured if I was doing it once, I'd get lowest OD I could find. My Ford-bequeathed 3208 came with a 6052 behind it, so my bellhousing is a swap. I had to get new clutch plates for the 1.5" input and a new throwout bearing for the bigger bearing cap but otherwise it's a swap. Oh yeah, I turned down the end of the input gear to mate up with the smaller pilot bearing but that's mostly because I didn't want to have to pull the old pilot bearing. ;) 6855 has all new bearings, however. It's a joy to manually shift it into OD and see how much the output shaft cooks. :)

Now, I'm running into a serious stumbling block because the shift tower is in the wrong place. The shifter bolts into the tower at the front of the tranny, basically where it mates up to the bellhousing. For reference, this is even IN FRONT of the bellhousing. At that far away, I couldn't even bend up a long ass "ape hanger" style shifter, you know? I need it AT LEAST at the midsection of the tranny to get any sort of leverage on it. I am now in the unenviable pòsition of having to fabricate a new shift tower. I'm sure that a shift tower is available to put the shifter in the right place but that type of part is rarely in the affordable range.... it would be in the "buy the tower and get the rest of the tranny for free" range, I bet.

I was shooting to use this thing as the tow rig for Easter Jeep Safari, but after the shifter problem, it's something of a deal breaker. Also, I need to outboard the steering, and it turns out that if you just stick a steering box right on the OUTSIDE of the frame rail where the stock box went INSIDE, you pretty much eliminate right turns because the freaking tire starts hitting it immediately. I'll need to relocate fender support, move the box really far forward, but at a certain point, the gosh darn front leaf spring becomes another interference part.

I suspect I'll have another month of bodging parts together. Right now the biggest issues are steering location and the tranny shifter position, but then I still have to deal with throttle linkage, clutch linkage, radiator location (using the bigger radiator off the ford, since it's, say, 70% bigger than the deuce rad), a little more plumbing, but on the bright side, plumbing mostly "figured out", and the engine is pretty much mounted.

I would wager that I'm going to go through alot of argon fabbing up some extremely custom parts in the next few weeks. Oh yeah, and where you were able to relocate the compressor? It's a no go for my arrangement. I'll be putting a "blower dent" in my hood to accomodate the air compressor. I think, though, I'll have an actual body shop do the sheetmetal right, though. After all is said and done, I'd really like to do Implement Yellow ghost flames and door stars on a flat black paint job. That's the goal. ;) Maybe a Yellow racing stripe as well. ;)

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks