• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removable Doors

av8rnik

Has anyone considered modifying the door hinges to make them removable so you can drive around doors off? I have been contemplating it. I was thinking about the possibility of pulling the door off and replacing the pin in the hinge.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can just unbolt the hinge.

av8rnik

Yeah, but I was thinking of replacing the pin with something that can just be pulled when I want to take them off. A little quicker and simpler than unbolting the hinges every time.

glassk

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C6TZ-9722800-SK.aspx?wid=141

Made by Scott Drake, 1966-77 Bronco Removable Door Hinges! This kit includes: 4 removable style door hinges, 2 quick-release door check brackets, 2 nylon web door straps with stainless anchors, and all the hardware needed to convert your Bronco. Everything is high-quality stainless steel and our hinges and brackets are highly polished.

Thats a Ford Bronco, But it is a working Idea,...

av8rnik

Here's one I bookmarked to do at some future date.

http://coloradok5.com/doorhingepins.shtml
Did the upgrade this weekend using the guidance in post above. Went smoothly, no issues and definitely worth the $20 in parts and 3 hours i spent doing it. Doors are a little heavy and awkward to get on/off by yourself, but can be done but easier with two people.

I didnt replace the bushings because the original ones stayed in the hinge piece, just followed the steps detailed and have removable doors now.