• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 frame flex question/compared to Unimog frame flex

Duckworthe

I am designing my custom camper box to mount on my M1078. Here is my question. Just how flexy is the chassis as compared to a Unimog? I have build a camper on a Unimog and retained the basic Unimog 3 point mount system. Should I mount my new camper box straight to the M1078 chassis or use a 3 point mount system and allow the chassis to flex more? I don't want to make a wrong move and start causing frame fatigue issues. Thanks for the help.

KsM715

Yeah I had to run and look up and couldn't get back here in time before someone caught it.

( I had 1088 in my original post )

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duckworthe, your Unimog camper build, is that posted online somewhere by chance? I looked at a build like you describe and wondered if by chance that was you.

Duckworthe

Oh yes. I did help build a box on a 404 Unimog. I never got to see the finished camper. But i know the guy had big plans and sure that he finished the build. It wasn't posted that i know of. I believe he lived in the high desert in Ca.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yes. I did help build a box on a 404 Unimog. I never got to see the finished camper. But i know the guy had big plans and sure that he finished the build. It wasn't posted that i know of. I believe he lived in the high desert in Ca.
OK thanks. I just remembered seeing one online like you described with the 3 point mounting.

InMemoryofRex

Fish Plate Kit from Eastern Surplus

This post is in response to post # 6 made by user 'country'.

I have met many helpful and kind individuals on this forum.

Without the help and advice of some of the members of this community, I would have never gotten this far with my FMTV project.

Therefore, I regret to have to write this post.

I have agonized over this for several days.

I am posting this because I wasted $ 2700 for a 'set' of fish plates that were mentioned in the above post for sale by Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia, PA.

I am posting this because I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake.

I found out about this product offering from this post:

"if you have too much flex- we have a kit to help

also have full parts support for FMTV models and LMTV

dave
www.easternsurplus.net
855-332-0500
dave@easternsurplus.net

I also read that some of the LMTVs and FMTVs had frame issues that required the use of these plates to avoid potential frame issues as reported in this article:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/fmtv.htm

Therefore, I wrote to Mr. Newman and told him about my FMTV build.

I specifically wrote to him that I needed a 'set of plates'.

I twice asked him if the price was for a set or individual plates.

He responded that the price was for each plate.

These plates are side-specific (either driver's side or passenger side) and cannot be reversed as they have support structures only on one side.

He gave me a decent price $1100 each but raised shipping from PA to CO from the previous estimate of $ 450 to $ 1700.

That alone should have been a red flag.

Nonetheless, I paid $ 2200 for a set of two plates.

I set up my own shipping using Freightquote and even though I rarely ship freight got a price of $ 520 for inbound shipping.

The plates arrived a few days later.

Upon inspection, it became apparent that Mr. Newman sent me two (2) driver's side plates instead of a drivers and a passenger plate.

Here is a picture of what I received:

eastern surplus fish plate kit.jpg

So I e-mailed him, thinking that this was just an oversight.

No, Mr. Newman explained that I never specified that I wanted a set, or a driver's and passenger side.

Therefore, I got two driver's sides.

And, to make things even better, he told me that he does not have any passenger side fish plates.

I guess I have always wanted to own what basically amounts to two left shoes, two right gloves, two left skis.

How foolish of me to assume that a set was just two of the same product for only one side of the vehicle.

I really can't see how one could use one (and especially two) fish plates like this on just one side of the frame.

If anyone has experience with this, please let me know.

Especially since Mr. Newman stated that these were 'kits', not just driver's side plates.

After a few days of attempting to explain that I was not interested in just putting two fish plates on the driver's side frame rail, I gave up.

So I filed a Pay Pal dispute.

I sent Pay Pal a copy of our rather lengthy e-mail exchanges.

Fortunately, Pay Pal agreed with me that selling just one plate, or two, for the same side of the frame, was not of much use beyond scrap metal.

The good news is that Pay Pal, not Mr. Newman, is going to give me a full refund for the purchase price.

The not so good news is that I have to ship these plates back and eat $ 1040 in shipping costs just to get $ 2200 back.

I am breaking my silence on this matter because I don't want anyone else to fall for the same thing and waste a ton of money for....well, nothing.

Again, so far my experience on this forum has been great.

I think I have made some great friendships and hope to meet my more of them in person one day.

This is one exception that I hope not to have to repeat.

With best wishes to all,

Toby

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks