• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip TX -> North, SEPT 29 - OCT 14

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm off 2 weeks.. Right now I am looking at a few options. Mostly North, where it's a little cooler, and also want to make pilgrimages to electronics surplus stores.

looks like the MS_OK_AR_TX_OK rally's off due to the park scheduling an "ATV rally" the same weekend.

Here is something very preliminary. Could easily change it.

I don't plan to go more than 300 miles each day. (6 hours @ 50MPH).

Leave Friday SEP 29:
Dallas to Fair Radio in Lima OH:
1055 miles -3 days + spend Monday there.

SEP 29
SEP 30
OCT 1
OCT 2

Maybe I could go from OH up to MT Rushmore and then south to Omaha and home? Just a side trip and not etched in stone at all, open to suggestions.

It's 1200 miles from Lima OH to MT Rushmore. - 4 days. It would put me there friday nite, and I could do the tourist thing on SAT OCT 7.
OCT 3
OCT 4
OCT 5
OCT 6
OCT 7

Then 548 miles to Omaha - 2 days. + A weekday for Surplus Sales of NE.
OCT 8
OCT 9 (monday)
OCT 10 (SS of NEB -spend day)

That would leave me 4 days to make for home in Dallas on OCT 14.

This whole supposition allows 2 extra days in case of unforseen things.

What do you guys think? I'm always open to meeting up during this adventure.

Anyone know of visit-worthy electronics places (and MV places..)

For sure I'd like to find out where all the roadside RV parks are.. Any easy website?

How can I get a www.steelsoldiers.com magnetic sign that will fit on the tailgate lip? Maybe I can make one at Kinko's/office warehouse or something.

lstmate

Evansville, IN???

Just thought I would suggest Evansville, IN.... We are having a MVPA display at the LST 325 on the 29th. Also LST week runs through Saturday night with a WW II style canteen dance. Not sure of the mileage but if you are into radios the ship has what I think is a very nice display in the radio room on the ship. I think the radios have been restored and are all functioning. Just a thought.... There is a campground in Evansville about 9.5 miles from the ship, Vanderburgh 4H fairground.

Have nop idea about surplus stores other than to say I know where a few are.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could reach both Cincinnati and Evansville.. Lemme see what the S3 says, I would like to meet Y'all. Might be mice to spend a few days in the area.

On the LST week, I can't be there the 29th but could possibly do it that week Saturday nigth! I have only my woodland camo, current isue before desert and ACU.. Also a logistics check. I didn't see the ship there on the river. Do they allow pictures to be taken inside the ship?

No.2Diesel

Why not just come to Rausch Creek that weekend for our get-together. Its ony 1,400 miles from Dallas :D

Seriously,

If your in Ohio GO TO THE DAYTON AF MUSEUM!!

Also if your going way up to the Dakotas for Mt. Rushmore, then do the Black Hills, Badlands, Custer, Sturgis, Wounded Knee, Oregon Trail thing. You may even want to wander a little west into Wyoming, you'll love it.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Maybe I could go from OH up to MT Rushmore and then south to Omaha and home? Just a side trip and not etched in stone at all, open to suggestions.
sounds like a great trip [thumbzup] , this cracks me up. Maybe I should increase my caffeine intake before reading posts

No.2Diesel

8) Only 871 to Georgia. "You lookin' for Atria. They ain't no Atria on this river." :)

I hope your event goes well Clinto. What is your MV count so far?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.2Diesel said:
Why not just come to Rausch Creek that weekend for our get-together. Its ony 1,400 miles from Dallas :D

Seriously,

If your in Ohio GO TO THE DAYTON AF MUSEUM!!

Also if your going way up to the Dakotas for Mt. Rushmore, then do the Black Hills, Badlands, Custer, Sturgis, Wounded Knee, Oregon Trail thing. You may even want to wander a little west into Wyoming, you'll love it.
Rausch Creek - 476 miles from Dayton.. not to sure about that.. Anything is possible. Don't yall have Amish in Pennsylvania? I like the Amish.

AF museum - could spend a day there easily. It's on a base. would be interesting getting the truck on and off, especially if they have the zigzag concrete barriers.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
clinto said:
http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13282

8)
For a fact I cannot make GA in so short a time! Unless Tom comes and installes a 0.71 OD for me next week!

ADR - that repair is just as tight and good as it ever was. I checkied it again last week, has not needed anything.

maccus - Try searching with a GRC-106! I only wish I had those radio sets. I have a couple R390's. And the best sounding receiver ever made, the SX-28!

I wish i had more time off. With only 2 weeks, and the fact I like to stop especially in small towns and look at things..

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Access to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton does not require going through security. Its in a open area of the base - no concerns there. And a very cool museum.

David (yes I write about aircraft too) Doyle

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just learned that surplus sales of nebraska does not allow walk-in business, only www sales. a shame..

lstmate

LST Pictures...

Yes they allow still pictures on the LST. They have been burnt by allowing video cameras onboard for taping. Depending on the video camera they allow it but you may have to ask if you get there. Saturday nights Canteen dance should be fun...

By the way I do not dance but will go to listen to the music and watch the dancers...

Any more questions just ask. Hookin1 on here can also answer questions for you.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OPCOM said:
I'm off 2 weeks.. ..
How can I get a www.steelsoldiers.com magnetic sign that will fit on the tailgate lip? Maybe I can make one at Kinko's/office warehouse or something.
Patrick, remember this "sign"? Gary (Polverone) will fix you up.

Can't believe it's almost been a year...

and Patrick, if you spot internal/external lockwashers of the right kind, please get an assortment.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Road Trip TX -> North, SEPT 29 - OCT 14

Yeah that was a cool trip! What is a fair price on the internal/external lockwashers by the 100-lot (I assume these are the star kind for crounding).

I'll have to PM Gary.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Fair price? Have no idea, can't find any, so whatever you come up with. The lack of them is holding up a bunch of projects...
Did get some from Will in Monrovia and that helped, but they are for the 3/8" bolts, so not too many of them needed, 1/2" and 1/4" sizes would be nice, an assortment is probably best. Even 1/2" ones are needed to re-do some "connections". Often pre-painted parts are assembled without the electrical ground path in mind and the result becomes unreliable.
These particular washers are part of the ground return path for just about all the electricals on the truck.
In some cases there are none where they should be, so it takes a lot of them.

Thanks for picking up on the request.

lstmate

If they are still in business you might check with American Nut and Bolt for the star washers. That is if the ordinary run of the mill star washers will work. Their web site shows both internal and external stars. A local bolt and nut company should be able to get them for you if not let me know and I am sure that I have a local company that can supply them.

Good Luck.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

They need to be hardened and cad plated, normal mil spec "star" washers. I have used commercial ones and they are simply too soft to do the job.
Thanks for the suggestion, though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks